• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on 9MM

btnh6668

NES Member
At the rate of $2ish increase we have been seeing every 3 weeks, do you think we will see 50 round boxs of 9mm hit $30 by the years end?

Presumably, you're referring to generic 115g FMJ 9x19mm, as HSTs are already at 80¢ a round.
This spike will moderate, but if you're on empty and want to do some shooting, you'll have to bite the bullet (sorry!).
I see ads for sub 24¢ ammo (case) with free shipping which seems reasonable, if still in stock, of course.

At the rate of $2ish increase we have been seeing every 3 weeks, do you think we will see 50 round boxs of 9mm hit $30 by the years end?
Only the flippers will be selling it that much the gun stores will be cleaned out/not selling (or rationing to gun buyers oy at the last realistic price) if it's ever that expensive. I'm basically using the previous Obama scares as a kind of a guideline. Eventually vendors and consumers have this thing I call abandonment- they won't bother buying it if the price gets too retarded... it's better to just throw in towel and leave shelves bare.... and then joe nipplehead internet flipper will be the only guy selling it. After a certain point is also harmful to an LGS reputation to even sell stuff that high....

This thread has me seriously considering buying a Tokarev. Then I remember how much of pieces of shit the two Zastava M57As I owned were.

But Zastava isn't working with Century any more...

A lot of the talk is the current demand spike is due in large part to people who have just bought guns for the first time in the last few months. Newbs tend to think that 200 rounds is a lot, so we got that going for us at least. We still have to slog through the election and post election, it depends on what level of autism the far left reaches. While this is going on, manufacturers are trying to meet the demand. When we get through whatever is waiting for us, there will be an inevitable drop in demand and hopefully for us consumers a glut in supply leading to lower prices.

How high prices go, how retarded things get, how long the panic lasts and where prices stabilize at is anyone's guess.

Back in the last ammo shortage....I paid $35 per box for Federal HST 9mm 124 grain. Thats how depserate I was for some carry ammo.
I think regular FMJ was around $25 per box
Now I buy in bulk and stocked up...learned my lesson

My surplus M57 shoots pretty well....the Romanian Tok on the other hand....

When I think of the word "Tokarev", the following words also come to my mind: "magazine", "drop", "out", "failure", and "eject." [laugh]

There's no way I'm getting a red dot on a Tok, so not happening.

I went to BassPro a few weeks ago and they had plenty at $12-$13/box...

Not last night. They had a few boxes of pistol ammo , but mostly just hunting cartridges for rifles. I was hoping to at least score some overpriced 77gr 5.56 for some testing, but they had nothing.

I"m so glad I dont need any ammo.

This thread has me seriously considering buying a Tokarev. Then I remember how much of pieces of shit the two Zastava M57As I owned were.

But Zastava isn't working with Century any more...
Shit the price of x25 is not much more than 9mm ammo if comparing to that TSUSA branded ammo at $17-$18 per box.

Shit the price of x25 is not much more than 9mm ammo if comparing to that TSUSA branded ammo at $17-$18 per box.

I live in RI and could buy surplus online. I love 7.62x25 as a cartridge and just want the cartridge, but the guns... leave something to be desired.

I bet they're wiped at this point.

They are indeed!
Wife and I were at Foxborough Sunday morning before they opened. I was only looking for clay pigeons but I had a feeling the black Friday-esque line forming outside was comically large. 30 or so people lined up on a Sunday? Maybe they all just got there a little early like me, but I had a feeling. So, doors open and about a dozen or so people quickly "walk" over towards the ammo. The rest went straight for the fishing gear which is in quite low supply as well right now. All of the "popular" rounds were completely gone; 9mm, .40, .22LR, 5.56/.223, .308, 12gauge buck and slug (plenty of birdshot varieties!) and even 7.62x39 only had 2 or 3 boxes in attendance. The dissapointed and confused looks all around were priceless. Fully ware of what was going on, even my wife got a chuckle. Now, I'm not sitting on a large stockpile or anything, but I've got enough to not have to jog towards the ammo section at BassPro (of all places) on a Sunday morning.

We walked around for a bit, she's been home since early March so excursions approaching "normal" are beneficial to mental health. Still a decent selection of firearms, just no food for 'em. I got my much sought after pigeons (wife prefers destruction over punching holes in paper) and we were on our way. Walmart-pretty much empty. BassPro-empty, TSUSA- pretty much empty. This is my first expereience with an ammo shortage but having been around empty shelves for months now, it just seems par for the course.

Edit- to expand a bit, I don’t recall seeing any handgun ammo whatsoever. All they had were random rifle calibers and a lot of .300 win mag along with plenty of birdshot varieties. If I were desperate for some HD loads, Paul Harrell confirms that 3” turkey loads at HD distances are going to ruin someone’s day, and your shoulder.

Last edited:
About a month ago I spent 750 for 2500 rds of 9mm. Only had to drive about 40 mins. Pricey? It's ok.

I caved and bought a case recently from Target for like $0.36/rd for brass ball because I'm going nuts without some range time. But now that I have it in hand, I feel like Golem holding his precious. I can't even get myself to open a box, let alone go to a range and fire them. lol. Prior to this it was, "well, I have 1 case on hand, but I need to save that one. I'll buy another to shoot." Now it's, "well, I have two cases on hand, but I need to save those". Time for a third case?

Back
Top Bottom