Those who use electronic earmuffs, please explain to me what's so special about them

sbi

I tested two different electronic earmuffs yesterday and to say that I wasn't impressed (compared to my passive earmuffs) will be an understatement.
Unless of course I am supposed to listen to music while shooting (for better sound blocking) which I have no intention of doing. Both just amplifies what's happening around me (people chatting, HVAC, etc) and don't really block shooting noise better than passive ones.

So please enlighten me before I click the "Return" button.

Thanks.

If you are in a training class you want to be able to hear what the instructor is saying.
I can also hear better with my MSA Sordins on then without them, so they improve hearing in a hunting or tactical situation, as well as protect your hearing from damage.

Useful for hearing an RO during USPSA matches.
Also if you are shooting with a friend I find I subconsciously talk louder/shout a bit using traditional ones; can make you hoarse after a while.

That said, my Howard Leights really do not block sound/protect my ears as well as my traditional muffs. I don't know if it's head shape, ear size, or what. They tend to break seal on my ear when getting a good rifle cheek weld. So while I like my electronic ones for USPSA since it's all pistols/PCC, if I'm shooting alone or shooting a full size caliber rifle, I usually go traditional or double up with plugs and the Leights.

Useful for hearing an RO during USPSA matches.
Also if you are shooting with a friend I find I subconsciously talk louder/shout a bit using traditional ones; can make you hoarse after a while.

That said, my Howard Leights really do not block sound/protect my ears as well as my traditional muffs. I don't know if it's head shape, ear size, or what. They tend to break seal on my ear when getting a good rifle cheek weld. So while I like my electronic ones for USPSA since it's all pistols/PCC, if I'm shooting alone or shooting a full size caliber rifle, I usually go traditional or double up with plugs and the Leights.
I agree that the Howard leights do not work as well to protect hearing! I bought a pair to use when I run practice plate shoots as the RO and had to go back to regular muffs. After 3 hours of running the shooters through I took them off and my ears were ringing and I ended up with a wicked headache. Never had that problem with regular muffs.

I agree that the Howard leights do not work as well to protect hearing! I bought a pair to use when I run practice plate shoots as the RO and had to go back to regular muffs. After 3 hours of running the shooters through I took them off and my ears were ringing and I ended up with a wicked headache. Never had that problem with regular muffs.
Yeah...I haven't had problem with them on pistols/during matches but for rifles they are definitely subpar for me. Not only when I shoot (I know my cheekweld messes them up) but also when others are shooting.

For whatever reason it feels like they've somehow gotten worse in terms of protection, I don't understand why. My only other guess was they redesigned the outdoor range at my MA club, maybe it's behaving more like an indoor one and reverberating or something.

they facilitate your hearing, which is a useful tool. a simple example: some moron mumbles "cease fire" while you're shooting. the electronic ears allow you to hear them. or say you're on the range alone and someone pulls up. i like to know what's going on around me. once i started using electronic ear protection i've never gone back. my other use for them is to hear steel hits at range. as your muzzle blast dies out the electronic ears really amplify that steel hit. super helpful.

now if your idea of shooting is to do 9mm on an indoor range then yeah the electronic ears probably don't offer a whole lot except having to hear the assclown in the adjacent stall "teaching" his lady friend about 45 acp.

I use Peltors for training purposes. I also use them for shooting trap/skeet because of the low profile for better cheek weld. However, I now shut them off when shooting trap/skeet because it breaks my concentration to hear other people that watch and talk while shooting a trap/skeet round. During one round of trap a few years ago, some guys watching a round of doubles trap were saying things such as, 'That was an amazing shot' or 'Holy shit, that guy just doesn't miss.' Unfortunately, they weren't talking about me. [laugh]

When they are on- do this...

Snap your fingers. This will seam very loud.

Next, clap you hands. You will barely hear you hands clapping.

All noise comes through the speakers in the muffs. Loud noises don't go through the speaker. When there is a loud noise it will sound like regular muffs.

Yet, you can still hear commands from the instructor.

In a quiet house you can hear people breath.

When they are on- do this...

Snap your fingers. This will seam very loud.

Next, clap you hands. You will barely hear you hands clapping.

All noise comes through the speakers in the muffs. Loud noises don't go through the speaker. When there is a loud noise it will sound like regular muffs.

Yet, you can still hear commands from the instructor.

In a quiet house you can hear people breath.

Right, I understand that, but the background noise was killing me. Shots had 'unnatural' echo, or perhaps it is natural and you just don't hear it with passive muffs, it's just being emphasized with the electronic ones.

In addition to all the great reasons given previously (being able to hear everything around you clearly is invaluable) for using electronic muffs mine are Bluetooth capable and I use them to stream music from my phone when I'm using noisy tools in the shop or outdoors in the yard. The sound quality is just so-so but still, overall, very nice feature.

Right, I understand that, but the background noise was killing me. Shots had 'unnatural' echo, or perhaps it is natural and you just don't hear it with passive muffs, it's just being emphasized with the electronic ones.
There is lots of background noise.

Trees rustling in the wind.

I can't wait for better weather to get out on the range.

Oh!

Here is another thing...

I use plugs at the same time. I NEED electronic muffs to hear sound to get through my plugs.

If I used plugs and regular muffs, I would not be able to safely take a class without hearing the instructor.

When you get your electronic muffs - get lithium batteries. They wont leak over weeks of sitting idle in the battery compartment when not in use.

I use a pair of Peltor Tactical or PRO TAC or something. Bought them 10 years ago. 9v battery is easy to change on the fly. They still work but I'm expecting a failure soon.

I have:

https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Sordin-S...8-3&keywords=msa+sordin+digital+supreme+pro+x

The black ones are supposedly better than the green.

They are ready to go as a spare set.

Most have a sensitivity knob that controls the lower SPL noises (talking) volume. If you're hearing too much room noise, HVAC, or echo, then it is set too high. You should be able to find the sweet spot where voices are audible, but nothing else is.

The cheaper version of the active Howard Leights are only rated to 22 dB suppression. A good pair of passive cans will suppress up to 28 dB. Keep in mind each dB is not 1:1 incremental. It is a curve, so a 6 dB difference is considered a huge difference in sound reduction. That being said, all protective headphones have ratings, so it's kind of unfair to say that 22 dB headphones aren't great at suppression if you already know ahead of time that they are only rated to 22 dB reduction. That's buyer's decision at that point whether they want the active features over top level suppression or not.

Totally agree, but I like the size and shape of them. My solution, I wear a l pair of earplugs under them. Works like a charm for me. With the amplification, I can still talk to buddies and hear commands etc.

Leights are great for not clipping the sound. But suck as hearing protection. So sad. Just not comfortable and don't cover your ears well.

I have a set of Peltor Sport 300's. VERY good and comfortable muffs. They F'ING CLIP THE SOUND. Ugh. It's 2019. (Well, 2018 when I bought them.) This should not be!

I'll continue to use them b/c they have good battery life vs. Leight and do a good job of muffing sound. But that clip. Grrrr.

(1) Shop around for MSA if you're interested in them, that set from amazon I paid 100 bucks less for the same black set with gel pads.
(2) If you believe the information out there, the db rating is not what matters across the range. It's the db reduction in the frequency of gunfire, in which case the MSA rating is much higher than the stated number.
(3) Whatever you do, get gel pads. They are great and can be put on many sets. Well worth a 30 dollar upgrade.

I tried two - this one (yeah, the blue ones were cheaper :)) and that one. I even bought these pads for the Howard Leight but TBH the Walkers felt much better on my head. Still, it wasn't like "wow!".
And yeah, it was an indoor range with plenty of activity around me.
I often shoot with ear plugs and I am very happy with my passive set. The reason I bought these ones are my daughter 'hates' loud noise and that's what keeps her from going shooting with me, so I thought these would block more noise. She uses my passive ones simultaneously with her Bose in-ear noise cancelling but she "can still hear it".

I too noticed this with the Howards. I had some cheap Peltors and felt the sound amplification to be more reasonable. Also Peltors can be adjusted individually. Helps when one ears needs more than the other. The downside was knob adjustment was always getting messed with.

Howards also dont seal as well. I even got the gel upgrade. I think if the headband mounting point was a touch lower they would clamp more evenly against the head. My Peltors had more clamping force therefore sealed better.

If I was to make a purchase now I would probably go for mid range Peltors w/gel cause that is sweet no matter what they are on.

on an indoor range i would have the sensitivity turned down fairly low. if shooting rifles indoor then I double up my ears: plugs and electronic muffs, then turn up the sensitivity on the muffs to overcome the plugs. it works quite nicely to block out any loud sounds but still preserve ability to have conversation. since sound can transmit into the ear by either tympanic membrane or bone/skull, full ear protection and not just ear plugs is probably better for indoor shooting. so if i'm doubling up the ear protection then electronic ear pro is great. just another benefit to them.

i am routinely surprised how many people shoot indoor with just ear plugs. not a good idea.

You need to double protect (most electronics alone arent enough) even with muffs, at least with the electronic ones you can hear people talking when not shooting, etc.

If you're solo and don't talk much at the range, waste of money. If I was an instructor or had students, you bet your ass I'd have a couple sets on hand.

I'm probably going to end up with a pair of Sordins or Peltors, but it's going to be awhile. Every time I get "there" I always end up spending the cake on something else....

-Mike

on an indoor range i would have the sensitivity turned down fairly low. if shooting rifles indoor then I double up my ears: plugs and electronic muffs, then turn up the sensitivity on the muffs to overcome the plugs. it works quite nicely to block out any loud sounds but still preserve ability to have conversation. since sound can transmit into the ear by either tympanic membrane or bone/skull, full ear protection and not just ear plugs is probably better for indoor shooting. so if i'm doubling up the ear protection then electronic ear pro is great. just another benefit to them.

i am routinely surprised how many people shoot indoor with just ear plugs. not a good idea.

I can confirm that comment about just earplugs not being idea for indoor shooting. I have some Safariland ear plugs that note they are rated to 33 dB. That's pretty damn impressive on paper, but when I used them indoors once when I forgot my Howards, I noticed this weird sensation of having the noise immediately blocked, but feeling like it was resonating in my head. What you said makes perfect sense about bone conducting. It was also like it was a millisecond delay from the actual shot, making me thing the bone conducting must work slower than natural hearing. I cut it short that day because it just wasn't working well and I was worried about my ears.

As others have summarized- I can be social.

Electronic earpro I believe were originally made for hunting- put them on to accentuate the noise of nature and tap out when you shoot something. On the range they're sort of convenient for talking to friends, especially when double strapping, but tbh they're limited in that respect while others are shooting.

+1 for doubling up. Foam plugs or I use Surefire EP5 plugs under the electronic muffs. Use the electronic muffs to amp normal sounds so I can hear through the plugs but muffle the louder sounds. sorry for not being clear.

I use them because most times I shoot with my wife. I can hear what she says and also hear what she is doing.

I'm sure it will be more helpful when I start dropping random dummy rounds in her mags. LoL

Thanks everyone.

This is an interesting video explaining it. I learned something new.

I use them with the foam plugs too. I turn them all the way up to hear range commands and such. I find doing this is the best possible protection for me. I got terrible tinnitus from my time in the Corps.

Back
Top Bottom