• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This Will Really Help the GOP's Chances...

to Retain the Oval Office in 2008.

DeLay Indicted in Campaign Finance Probe
Email this Story

Sep 28, 1:24 PM (ET)

By LARRY MARGASAK

WASHINGTON (AP) - A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

"I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today," DeLay said.

The White House, meanwhile, called DeLay a "good ally," and said President Bush still considered DeLay a friend and effective leader in Congress.

GOP congressional officials said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., will recommend that Rep. David Dreier of California step into those duties. Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as Wednesday night to act on Hastert's recommendation.

Criminal conspiracy is a state felony punishable by six months to two years in a state jail and a fine of up to $10,000. The potential two-year sentence forces DeLay to step down under House Republican rules.

At the White House, press secretary Scott McClellan said the president still considers DeLay "a good ally, a leader who we have worked closely with to get things done for the American people."

"I think the president's view is that we need to let the legal process work," McClellan said.
JT

Where there's smoke there's usually fire. And DeLay isn't known as squeaky clean.

Then again, Slick Willie got reelected, and he did far worse.

2008 will hinge on who's running for each party.

Somke hardly seems to have any association with fire in this case. The DA is Ronny Earl, who's been conducting investigations and seeking indictments against Texas Republicans for the past several years. He's managed to get a couple of indictments (including IIRC a Ham Sandwich), but so far has either dropped or had thrown out every case. There are also a couple of formal complaints in the works against him for prosecutorial misconduct, divulging grand jury testamony and other things. Bottom line, he's simply a DNC attack dog, and if recent history is any predictor, the charges will prove to be baseless.

Ken

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I'll put my thoughts on record.

I don't like Tom DeLay, never have. I wouldn't be surprised if he WAS guilty.

I don't trust Southern Politicians, as a rule (there's exceptions, though). I don't trust the media, either.

I don't think his indictment, or conviction (if found guilty) will make ANY difference in the outcome of the 2008 elections.

The idea that it WILL make a difference, is a Liberal pipe dream, and can be debunked, based on a few simple facts:

They don't have anyone worth running in 2008 (Hillary? Yeah right.)

The last Democrat to get 50% or more of the popular vote was Jimmy Carter (maybe) in 1976. In 2008, that will have beeen 32 years.

The last Democrat before to get 50% of the vote was Lyndon Johnson in 1964. That was 44 years.

Add Kennedy in 1960. That was 48 years.

The next was Truman in 1948. That will be 60 years exactly.

So, the Democrats have gotten 50% or more of the popular vote in the Presidential 3 times in 60 years.

And not ONE of them would be classed as a Northern Liberal, in fact only one was from the North. And that election was both close and questionable.

Back
Top Bottom