This Sunday 11/18 - Turkey Shoot at the Shirley Rod and Gun Club

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
We're having our annual Turkey Shoot this Sunday. This event is open to the public and it is a blast. Admission is free. We start at 9:00AM and go until dark. The Club's kitchen is open so you'll be able to buy food and drink as well.

We give away over 300 brand name frozen turkeys to the winners of marksmanship contests. All guns and ammo are supplied by the Club.

We run about 10 different games with rifles, shotguns, and handguns. The games are run with 6 shooters per heat; a turkey is given to the winner of each heat.

Kids are welcome too - in fact, several of the games are designed for kids. When my son was 11, he won two turkeys that we ate on Thanksgiving (talk about a proud little kid - putting food on the table like that).

We're also going to be raffling off some really nice prizes including a Thompson Center Omega .50 Cal blackpowder rifle, a high-end StackOn 24 gun safe, and two cords of firewood. The drawings will be held at the end of the day, and you need not be present to win.

For people that don't want to shoot but still want a chance to win a turkey, we also constantly raffle off turkeys thoughout the day.

Click here for directions and more details.

If you make it, look me up. I'll be there with my son all day. We'll probably be running the "Lucky Target" game in the AM.

Last edited:
Will do. I'll be there sometime around noon with my friend Mike. I'll be wearing my FORD hat and of course, sporting the mad goatee. Looking forward to firing the .500!

Also, I'm terrible with names so expect me to not remember that.

Will do. I'll be there sometime around noon with my friend Mike. I'll be wearing my FORD hat and of course, sporting the mad goatee. Looking forward to firing the .500!

Also, I'm terrible with names so expect me to not remember that.

I'll probably be hanging around the .500 game at that time.

Hey, Jim... going to run a "run what ya brung" stage? [wink]

That was so popular with the guys at the Franklin Lodge shoot that I'm going to try and make sure that we can do it again at the next year's shoot. (although those of us who were carrying really surprised one of our guys because he had no clue how we concealed "all those guns". [smile]

Had a blast! Met a lot of great people. 'Crazy' Jerry, and EddieCoyle...good to meet you guys. A big thanks to Jerry for making my friend Mike and myself feel more than welcome. There were so many people there, I only got the chance to spend $25 on tickets because I blew most of my time waiting in line...walked away with quite the itch to continue shooting.

Shirley is on the top of my list of clubs to join when I get my LTC. It's a bit far away, but man is it worth it. Great place, great people! I'm glad I went.

*edit: Oh yeah! Forgot to mention I won 3 birds. One on the Swingin' Turkey with the ratshot, one on the .410, and one on the 30-06. Would have won a fourth on the S&W .22 pistol if two of the people shooting in my group hadn't both shot at the same target. They just barely beat my score, and they had 4 hits on paper vs. my two [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a blast! Met a lot of great people. 'Crazy' Jerry, and EddieCoyle...good to meet you guys.

Thanks for coming out. PM me if you're interested in joining. The shoot was a great success - we gave away over 300 turkeys and ran out at exactly the right time as things were winding down.

My son won 5 turkeys! We spent most of our time running the Lucky Target game. A the beginning of the day I bought 7 tickets for my son to use during the game. Each game requires 6 shooters per heat. When there are 5 shooters without a 6th in sight, my son will use one of those tickets to shoot with the group so they don't have to wait. He had to do this twice and won a turkey each time. The Lucky Target high score for the day was 32 - the score my son shot each time he played. It is a Lucky Target game, but it probably helps that he's put about 5000 rounds through each of the revolvers we used for the game.

He also won birds shooting the .500 Magnum two of the three times he played. He would've won a third, but he had to shoot against me. [smile] I had to work most of the time so that was the only turkey I won (we had enough by then anyway).

I also won this:

safe.jpg

Now I've got to fill it.

Last edited:
Damn! I wanted that safe. grrr!

It's a great club. I won't be looking for a club to join for a little while, but like I said...Shirley was such a great place, it's at the top of my list. I'm definitely joining the MRA first, though, because it's like 4 minutes from my house and has a 24/7 indoor range.

I've got some great pictures from the Turkey Shoot. I was wondering what the etiquette is on this forum as far as posting pictures of myself and other people with guns goes?

Cool. Here's all the shots Mike took that processed well.

He says he's cool with you using them on the site if you want to, as long as the pictures are accompanied with a line of text under them:

©2007 Mike Krentz

And if you could, make his name a link to his blog like I did. He does a lot of freelance photography and graphic design, so a link would be good for his business.

2049623224_765514117e_o.jpg

2049623090_3364ef9169_o.jpg

2049622452_c9cf7c45f3_o.jpg

2048887613_20b1d39d2c_o.jpg

2048837263_64b6463f3f_o.jpg

2048836945_2985d4f35f_o.jpg

2048836777_98dd5c6b49_o.jpg

2048836289_71fa9ac221_o.jpg

That '06 rifle was off 3/4 inch to the right [wink]. Had a lot of fun. Nice club you all have there. See y'all at the pumpkin shoot. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom