• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This Should be the Focus, not Guns

The only thing I can think of doing to fix this problem is to legalize it. Doing so won't make some paradise where no OD's but it will make it so people know exactly what they're taking because its labeled and contains no impurities.

And will also end the violence around drugs and reduce our spending on prisons.

Portugal decriminalized all drugs and drug use went down, although its still black market run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This is likely true. One of the big things that they were saying was leading to a lot of deaths lately is that the heroin is being cut with Fentynal, and the people who are ODing are doing so on the Fentynal, not the heroin. If it were legalized, and required to be properly labeled, with similar warnings to what is on tobacco products, a lot of the death may be avoided. And since it wouldn't be akin to admitting to a crime, more people may be likely to seek treatment.

Ban large capacity syringes.

"I will tell you these are heroin -- syringes -- so the people who have those now they are going to shoot them, and so if you ban -- if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity syringes is going to decrease dramatically over time because the heroin will have been shot and there won't be any more available."

"I will tell you these are heroin -- syringes -- so the people who have those now they are going to shoot them, and so if you ban -- if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity syringes is going to decrease dramatically over time because the heroin will have been shot and there won't be any more available."
[rofl]I see what you did there! Colorado hearing. Funny!

Fentanyl has been around for a long time, people cut up the patches and chew on them, among other things. They've been cutting heroin with it for a long time as well. More ODs is because of more use, plain and simple. Norfolk county alone accounted for 65 of those 185 ODs. And those are the ones that died at the scene, not ones that were transported to the hospital and died there. I've asked repeatedly for the number of ODs in MA that get administered NARCAN and are fine, but we don't seem to count those. The amount of ODs goes up as you need to use more and more, so you can get "well" or get high. High means more heroin, and now you're walking that fine line.

Its not illegal to be under the influence of any of those drugs. But your average pot smoker doesn't do what opioid and heroin users do in terms of what they're willing to go thru to get money for the drugs.

I say, if you and your friends want to shoot up, go right ahead, it's your choice. But, stop stealing everyone blind and pawning all their stuff, stop breaking into homes and cars etc to get money. And when you OD? Don't call 911. Take responsibility for your own drug use, because it's your right, of course to put what you want into your body, and just go out quietly on your nod. Big boy rules.

Someone buys some shit in a plastic bag from some thug on the ****ing street.......injects it in a vein in their arm and we are all supposed to get up in arms about that? Sounds like they made a personal choice to me.

With heroin, there is one difference that isn't necessarily true for other drugs. Some people get addicted to it as a substitute for opiate based pain killers they are prescribed after surgery or injury. When the Rx runs out, the addiction doesn't just magically leave and they need to find other means to soothe the cravings. Unfortunately, treating the actual problem doesn't fit some political hack's agenda so we end up with the war on drugs and a lot of people ODing.

We'd have to ban tin foil, lighters and straws too!

With heroin, there is one difference that isn't necessarily true for other drugs. Some people get addicted to it as a substitute for opiate based pain killers they are prescribed after surgery or injury. When the Rx runs out, the addiction doesn't just magically leave and they need to find other means to soothe the cravings. Unfortunately, treating the actual problem doesn't fit some political hack's agenda so we end up with the war on drugs.

You are right on the money in some regards. Opioids serve a purpose, and you're right, when they run out, some people are able to stop needing them, some aren't. And then starts the downhill slide. But I'm sorry, there are plenty of ways to treat the addiction, and it's got nothing to do with some political hacks agenda. If you are an addict, and you WANT to get treatment, you can get it. Most addicts don't want treatment, they want to get high. Have you ever talked with someone that uses heroin? Usually, most addicts have been in and out of rehabs or have used suboxone or even methadone. They relapse because they want to get high, it's that simple. So is the answer to just make it legal and let them have at it? Or maybe the govt and LE should intervene, and do what they can to stop it. Sure it's your choice to do what you want, but it's my right not to have my shit stolen and broken into.

With heroin, there is one difference that isn't necessarily true for other drugs. Some people get addicted to it as a substitute for opiate based pain killers they are prescribed after surgery or injury. When the Rx runs out, the addiction doesn't just magically leave and they need to find other means to soothe the cravings. Unfortunately, treating the actual problem doesn't fit some political hack's agenda so we end up with the war on drugs and a lot of people ODing.

You make a valid point. I wish you had quoted my entire post thought. I stated I'm trying to educate myself in order to make a solid opinion on the issue. ANd here you got me thinking a bit.......so I'm getting what I asked for I guess. I suppose there needs to be a better process in the medical world to monitor patients that are healed and need to stop opiate scripts to be sure they don't have problems? I'm still goin to stick to my point here in some aspect.......seeing your doctor when you are through a script after surgery if you are having problems seems like a better route than buying smack on the street. Are you saying that it is common for a patient that goes to see a doc after they come off a script that is having problems to be told to hit the road?

Someone buys some shit in a plastic bag from some thug on the ****ing street.......injects it in a vein in their arm and we are all supposed to get up in arms about that? Sounds like they made a personal choice to me.

TRUE freedom means an individual right to do what the hell they want to their own body in my opinion. Even if it means they harm themselves.

TO be truthful I'm still on the fence about the whole drug thing in this country. I'm reading.....trying to educate myself in order to form a fact based opinion. I do believe in individual freedom and that Americans have the right to do what they want as long as it does not harm anyone else. So here is my dilemma.......heroine addicts addict themselves by doing stupid shit to their own body......should it be illegal......I guess it depends on if their actions harm OTHERS or not........but how far back to you peal that onion is my conundrum. If the addicts actions cause harm to others is what I'm trying to wrap my head around........does their burden on the welfare system due to their personal choice to become an addict and not be a productive member of society harm me as a taxpayer? I don't know.......I'm still trying to figure it out.

I think you just pointed out the issue with welfare. Welfare, and I'm not talking about the state taking care of the truly and completely disabled, enables people to engage in poor behaviors. It enables addicts to spend all their money on drugs, and it enables illegals to come here and make all kinds of money and get state benefits. It even enables simple laziness.

The real kicker, is that it gets the state tangled up in peoples business. Once your on welfare people want to know everything about you if you want to stay on it. Invasion of rights and privacy seems to be the cost of it all.

My.02

I think you just pointed out the issue with welfare. Welfare, and I'm not talking about the state taking care of the truly and completely disabled, enables people to engage in poor behaviors. It enables addicts to spend all their money on drugs, and it enables illegals to come here and make all kinds of money and get state benefits. It even enables simple laziness.

The real kicker, is that it gets the state tangled up in peoples business. Once your on welfare people want to know everything about you if you want to stay on it. Invasion of rights and privacy seems to be the cost of it all.

My.02

All good points.

1. A pot head has every right to sit in his parents basement and be stoned all he/she wants as a point of individual freedom

2. As long as my tax dollars don't go to support the lifestyle chosen by the said pot head!

Do I make sense with this or not?

All good points.

1. A pot head has every right to sit in his parents basement and be stoned all he/she wants as a point of individual freedom

2. As long as my tax dollars don't go to support the lifestyle chosen by the said pot head!

Do I make sense with this or not?

Perfect sense. And I think weed is a different issue. My old landlord smoked like a machine, and yet owns an investment property as well as a small business. He was a dick though...

I think weed is a different issue as it doesn't have that addictive draw. Its like going to the gym. I enjoy it doing it, but I don't want to go every day all day, although I know one or two people who feel the need to be there twice a day. Haven't smoked since college myself, and I don't miss it. It was just something people did when bored on a Tuesday night.

Opiates on the other hand get into your head quickly. I had a script that was for about 2 days after getting my wisdom teeth pulled and I won't pretend I didn't think about asking for a little more. What would it be like after a month of them?

Perfect sense. And I think weed is a different issue. My old landlord smoked like a machine, and yet owns an investment property as well as a small business. He was a dick though...

I think weed is a different issue as it doesn't have that addictive draw. Its like going to the gym. I enjoy it doing it, but I don't want to go every day all day, although I know one or two people who feel the need to be there twice a day. Haven't smoked since college myself, and I don't miss it. It was just something people did when bored on a Tuesday night.

Opiates on the other hand get into your head quickly. I had a script that was for about 2 days after getting my wisdom teeth pulled and I won't pretend I didn't think about asking for a little more. What would it be like after a month of them?

I guess weed was a bad example. Bottom line I'm talking about individual freedom having the "drawback" of personal responsibility. I chewed tobacco for quite a bit after a couple of deployments......my choice.....nobody made me do it.......but if I get cancer it would be my own fault as the consequences of tobacco are well known to all I would say. I can't stand the folks that talk about suing tobacco companies for their medical issues. Yup.......big tobacco made their product more addictive by upping the nicotine content......in their opinion I guess the product is "improved"......because after all isn't the whole point of tobacco products the addiction? Anyway I digress.....I quit several months ago......and yes there are days when I still want that little tiny "buzz" while I'm driving to and from work.

Holy shit did I get off on a tangent there or what.......im saying legalization of drugs for personal freedom would require total personal responsibility to make it work.

Last edited:
You make a valid point. I wish you had quoted my entire post thought. I stated I'm trying to educate myself in order to make a solid opinion on the issue. ANd here you got me thinking a bit.......so I'm getting what I asked for I guess. I suppose there needs to be a better process in the medical world to monitor patients that are healed and need to stop opiate scripts to be sure they don't have problems? I'm still goin to stick to my point here in some aspect.......seeing your doctor when you are through a script after surgery if you are having problems seems like a better route than buying smack on the street.

No arguements here.

Are you saying that it is common for a patient that goes to see a doc after they come off a script that is having problems to be told to hit the road?

I don't think anyone seeking treatment is told to hit the road. I think there are a lot of people who won't go talk to their doctor about it for one reason or another. They're embarrassed, or afraid they're going to get involuntarily thrown into a rehab clinic against their will, or face legal consequences, or any other number of reasons whether real or imagined. We have a horrible stigma in this country that being an addict makes you a bad person. The problem isn't going to be resolved until that stigma is gone.

You are right on the money in some regards. Opioids serve a purpose, and you're right, when they run out, some people are able to stop needing them, some aren't. And then starts the downhill slide. But I'm sorry, there are plenty of ways to treat the addiction, and it's got nothing to do with some political hacks agenda. If you are an addict, and you WANT to get treatment, you can get it. Most addicts don't want treatment, they want to get high. Have you ever talked with someone that uses heroin? Usually, most addicts have been in and out of rehabs or have used suboxone or even methadone. They relapse because they want to get high, it's that simple. So is the answer to just make it legal and let them have at it? Or maybe the govt and LE should intervene, and do what they can to stop it. Sure it's your choice to do what you want, but it's my right not to have my shit stolen and broken into.

two treatments for drug addiction that offer a different drug addiction in it's place, and they wonder why people never seem to kick the actual addiction...

I guess weed was a bad example. Bottom line I'm talking about individual freedom having the "drawback" of personal responsibility. I chewed tobacco for quite a bit after a couple of deployments......my choice.....nobody made me do it.......but if I get cancer it would be my own fault as the consequences of tobacco are well known to all I would say. I can't stand the folks that talk about suing tobacco companies for their medical issues. Yup.......big tobacco made their product more addictive by upping the nicotine content......in their opinion I guess the product is "improved"......because after all isn't the whole point of tobacco products the addiction? Anyway I digress.....I quit several months ago......and yes there are days when I still want that little tiny "buzz" while I'm driving to and from work.

Holy shit did I get off on a tangent there or what.......im saying legalization of drugs for personal freedom would require total personal responsibility to make it work.

take X amount of dollars spent on the war on drugs and imprisoning small time druggies, and instead spend it on rehab programs and treatment centers and I think you would see an improvement in society, even without total responsibility (humans in general will never take total responsibility if there is any other option given)

two treatments for drug addiction that offer a different drug addiction in it's place, and they wonder why people never seem to kick the actual addiction...
Absolutely. Suboxone and methadone are just as addictive. But what's the answer? If you've ever seen someone go thru withdrawal ( or maybe experienced it yourself), you know there's just about nothing you wouldn't do to make it stop. It is an absolute ass kicker. The people that quit cold turkey are few and far between, but it happens. It's an awful circle.

No arguements here.

I don't think anyone seeking treatment is told to hit the road. I think there are a lot of people who won't go talk to their doctor about it for one reason or another. They're embarrassed, or afraid they're going to get involuntarily thrown into a rehab clinic against their will, or face legal consequences, or any other number of reasons whether real or imagined. We have a horrible stigma in this country that being an addict makes you a bad person. The problem isn't going to be resolved until that stigma is gone.

This. Plus if you get sent to rehab, perhaps by court order, you would become a PP I think. Not that that is the top priority in this situation, however I don't think it feels so black and white to the person in question. I think people really think "I'm OK I just need a little more". Its called denial.

The war on drugs is the source of the stigma I think, and that damage will take years to repair even after we end the "war". Even with the best of intention, the purpose of war is to destroy.

This. Plus if you get sent to rehab, perhaps by court order, you would become a PP I think. Not that that is the top priority in this situation, however I don't think it feels so black and white to the person in question. I think people really think "I'm OK I just need a little more". Its called denial.

The war on drugs is the source of the stigma I think, and that damage will take years to repair even after we end the "war". Even with the best of intention, the purpose of war is to destroy.

I got news for you, if you're at the point where you get sectioned ( forced to rehab by court order), you're most likely at a point that you're already a PP. And as far as black and white to the people in question, let's keep this in perspective here. Are these the types you want to be carrying? Not me.

The war on drugs isn't the source of the stigma, sorry. The stigma comes from the embarrassment of admitting that you are a junkie. Go talk to one, current or former.

everyone that uses heroin should register with the government and it should cost them $100 to do so. All the needles should have serial numbers. You should only be able to buy 3 needles at time and they should cost 10X what they do now. This will elimante the problem all together.

Absolutely. Suboxone and methadone are just as addictive. But what's the answer? If you've ever seen someone go thru withdrawal ( or maybe experienced it yourself), you know there's just about nothing you wouldn't do to make it stop. It is an absolute ass kicker. The people that quit cold turkey are few and far between, but it happens. It's an awful circle.
I agree it can help, but it's useless and will more often than not be only temporary unless coupled with actual mental health treatment. that is why most, even when they decide they want to quit, can't shake the cycle.

addiction (to anything) is sad yet fascinating stuff to learn about and try to comprehend

The war on drugs isn't the source of the stigma, sorry. The stigma comes from the embarrassment of admitting that you are a junkie. Go talk to one, current or former.
agreed,
and the shame and guilt that comes with it often is what turns them back onto drugs even after they have realized they need help

the war on drugs does enforce the stigma though, it makes seeking help seem like a bad thing if you are still using

agreed,
and the shame and guilt that comes with it often is what turns them back onto drugs even after they have realized they need help

the war on drugs does enforce the stigma though, it makes seeking help seem like a bad thing if you are still using
I have not once in my career heard a junkie or other drug user say the war on drugs has caused them to not want to go to rehab. But you're right about the circle, they feel so sorry for themselves and what they've don't to family and friends etc., that low and behold, here is even another excuse to cop a bag and shoot up. I'm sure if you want to do some research ( because I agree, it is fascinating) there are plenty of clinics and junkies you can talk to ( I'm actually not being sarcastic here) that will tell you their story for a cup of coffee or a cigarette. But, that involves wading into a leper colony of sorts.

I see business opportunities.

narcan-2.jpg

I'm thinking of selling Narcan along side the standard dealers.

I have not once in my career heard a junkie or other drug user say the war on drugs has caused them to not want to go to rehab. But you're right about the circle, they feel so sorry for themselves and what they've don't to family and friends etc., that low and behold, here is even another excuse to cop a bag and shoot up. I'm sure if you want to do some research ( because I agree, it is fascinating) there are plenty of clinics and junkies you can talk to ( I'm actually not being sarcastic here) that will tell you their story for a cup of coffee or a cigarette. But, that involves wading into a leper colony of sorts.

A junkie, no. But someone who is "on the edge" between managing their usage problem / keeping their job and going full junkie. I'd bet the stigma doesn't help.

Back
Top Bottom