• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This Section is Pretty Quiet Lately

Patriot

NES Member
What happened? It looks like you guys have all joined MilSurps Anonymous
and have kicked the habit? This used to be a rockin' and rollin' buy-buy-buy
forum and now it's quieter than Ross's Hunting and Fishing Forum.

TBP

this section is Pretty Quiet Latley

I was thinking the same thing! but i havent been on to much myself latley
and then a bunch a OLD Milsurps fell in my lap out of the Blue! trouble is
the flyers that come in the mail are the same thimg month after month
and i think we have all bought everything thats in them so lets see some differant stuff come down the pike! if you check out the post i just
posted you will see that sometimes when you are broke you hit the
lottery if i just sell one of the items that i got it will let me put the money
i stole from my savings acct back and the other stuff is Free!! i think
or thats the way we think to justify (is that the way to spell that??)
our Milsurpinsanity!! anywho have a good one

Sheriff dudley

I'm under strict orders from SWMBO not to buy any more guns for the foreseeable future.

[crying]

So it looks like I'll have to spend my time SHOOTING guns rather than buying guns.

Which isn't a bad thing, all things considered...

I'm under strict orders from SWMBO not to buy any more guns for the foreseeable future.

[crying]

So it looks like I'll have to spend my time SHOOTING guns rather than buying guns.

Which isn't a bad thing, all things considered...

Looks like we'll have to get you to the range soon then!!! [smile]

What happened? It looks like you guys have all joined MilSurps Anonymous
and have kicked the habit? This used to be a rockin' and rollin' buy-buy-buy
forum and now it's quieter than Ross's Hunting and Fishing Forum.

TBP

Oh yeah? Well I bet none of you received this e mail recently from the CMP: [smile]

This email acknowledges the receipt of your recent order.

We thank you for your order and request you not call or email to check on the order before 21 days are up. There is nothing we will be able to tell you until we input all orders ahead of yours into our system. Your customer ID # is xxxxxx and this is where all of your information is stored therefore you are registered with cmp/estore. Thank you and have a great day.
Sandra K Turner
256-xxx-xxxx extxx

Orest Michaels
Chief Operating Officer

I've been oogeling Milsurps_for_Me's SVT-40 over in the gallery and I'm saving my pennies for one of my own. It's tough choosing between that or a Garand. [smile]

So many guns ...so little money ! [crying]

I've been oogeling Milsurps_for_Me's SVT-40 over in the gallery and I'm saving my pennies for one of my own. It's tough choosing between that or a Garand. [smile]

So many guns ...so little money ! [crying]
It was tough for me too. I ended up getting the Garands first and then fell into an SVT no long after.

With my new C&R I said screw it and ordered a CZ-52 and a Enfield 2A from <Name removed by LenS-Mod . . . no names, AG will stop them from shipping into MA if info is known and they troll Internet for said info>. After cleaning up the CZ I shot 100 rnds through it and had a great time.

I'm spending a LOT more time on the Enfield though. I've stripped all the crappy black paint off and just finished my second run at stripping the stain off of the stock last night.

Tomorrow night I'm going to paint the metal parts with Alumhyde II from Brownells and give the stock a good once over with some sand paper.

I'm still up in the air as to how I'm going to finish the stock. It's a toss up between Tung Oil, BLO or Tru-Oil. Hummmm, maybe a mixture of Tung and BLO. Going to have to give that some thought.

I've also been eying this Sistema 1911 and an Inland M1 Carbine. Eh, the credit card is taking a beating. Oh well, can't take it with me. Right???

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't use sandpaper, use steel wool 0000 grade. Sanding will affect the wood where the wool will smooth out and remove the finish only.

Often sanding a stock leaves dark areas where grime has worked its way inside gouges and nicks and these won't come out, but will show up more after sanding. I learned the hard way on an old Romanian M69 stock.
If you really must get the stock clean enough to the point of refinishing, its best to spray it down with Purple Power and scrub it with a scouring pad, then rinse well with water. Then buff it down with 00 steel wool after it dries to get any raised grain to smooth out, then follow with your new finish.
Note: ANY refinishing often ruins collector value and should only be used on rifles that are in-expensive. Thats just my opinion though. Most collectors usually wash stocks with mineral spirits and some will let them sit in in the hot sun in black garbage bags filled with cat litter to leech out cosmolene.

The way I remove cosmoline:

I drive a dark green Saturn. I park the car in my driveway, detail strip my pet milsurp, and place the parts on a towel in the trunk. Then I let it sit for 4-5 hours in the sun, where I can see it. Then I remove all parts and wipe the cosmo off with a rag.

I fergot the rear sight on my Vz had cosmo under it when I cleaned her up, it's a good thing I had my shooting glasses on or otherwise I would have had boiling hot cosmo in my eye[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom