• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This screw needs a warning

meh

Yeah, so I had a good time shooting my Miroku-made 1892 today, and as I was cleaning it up, which so far I've done just by swabbing it out in the places I could reach, I noticed that the cartridge stop was sticking. I'd taken a Rossi 92 all the way down for tuning and cleaning many times, but I hadn't ever done that with the Miroku. For some reason, I had 1873 on the brain instead of 1892, and I removed the tang screw and a screw underneath the tang to take off the buttstock.

wings.jpg

What I learned today is that, on an 1892 Miroku, you don't ever want to remove that screw underneath the tang unless you've already captured the hammer spring. What a pain. The hammer spring is uber strong because of the rebounding hammer design, I guess, way too strong just to manhandle like I've done with Ruger GP100 and SP101 hammer springs.

SpongeBob_Time_Card_Banner.jpg

after making a jig to get the spring recaptured on a vise, the rifle was back together. I kind of want to engrave "NO" next to this screw.

screwed.jpg

Last edited:
This screw almost tossed meh off the roof.

c03e9a486a44d7ea-600x338.jpg

Replace with a clutch head screw. :)
Hah. That would do it, but I wasn't seriously considering it for myself. If I make this mistake again, they can put me on the Democratic primary ticket for 2024. But in general, I was thinking that a paragraph-long warning label like the one on Ruger barrels wouldn't be a terrible idea. ;)

Not a screw, and not a firearm, but a warning label that I actually encountered.

1632362932692.png

I spoke with one of the people at the company that made the equipment, to see if it was a uber-tech-nerd humor thing, and was told that it was "a real warning sticker."

Too bad - it was in a perfect spot for manipulating that board. [rofl]

Not a screw, and not a firearm, but a warning label that I actually encountered.

View attachment 525789

I spoke with one of the people at the company that made the equipment, to see if it was a uber-tech-nerd humor thing, and was told that it was "a real warning sticker."

Too bad - it was in a perfect spot for manipulating that board. [rofl]
Odd, a huge capacitor typically gets its frame soldered to the ground on the board - a perfect handle, in fact.
I guess it was a warning for me. :)

I feel your pain. One time I decided I could replace the hammer spring on a Steven's single shot shotgun. I was wrong. Brought it to my gunsmith. He brought it to the guy that he learned everything from. Got it back. It works. But I was told to never bring it back to him [rofl]

I have a Savage 69RXL. I had to disassemble it several times to fix an issue first with the bolt carrier and then with the extractors. I finally found a very good video on YouTube that showed how to detail strip the gun. The gunsmith doing the video said that under no circumstances should the trigger/lifter assembly be taken apart. There is literally no one alive who knows how Savage assembled the parts. He said if there is a problem with that assembly buy another one somewhere no matter what the cost.

Other than that, it's not a horrible gun to work on once you realize that you have to remove the stock first.

I feel your pain. One time I decided I could replace the hammer spring on a Steven's single shot shotgun. I was wrong. Brought it to my gunsmith. He brought it to the guy that he learned everything from. Got it back. It works. But I was told to never bring it back to him [rofl]

Back in the mid 80's (before YouTube videos existed), I had a Winchester 88 chambered in .308 which had a bad extraction problem. I detail stripped the gun to do a deep cleaning and made the horrible error of removing the hammer pivot pin. What a friggin' horror show, it took me several hours to get the hammer back in place. Never made that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom