• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This may be a stupid question..

First off, I'm new to the forums :) Second, I've searched for this answer but, didn't find the answer. I just moved to Beverly Ma which is a Green Town from Salem Ma which is a red town and I'm looking to get my LTC-A ALP. I've never had a firearms license/permit before so I will be a first time LTC holder. My question is, I live with my sister and brother-in-law. My brother-in-law has a felony record from his past. I believe it was for felony trespassing in Colorado as far as I know. Will this be a problem with me getting my LTC ALP because he lives in the same apartment as me?? I plan on applying this Mid-Late Spring. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

First, you'll need a class.

Second, part of the class is the discussion of Mass. firearms safe storage laws.

It's a no-no to allow unlicensed indivduals (with or without a record) access to firearms, so....your sister and brother-in-law are equally not supposed ot have access to the gun(s).

In a perfect world, since you will, of course, comply with all applicable laws, it should not be an issue. If, however you b-i-l is "known" to the local PD, it might be an issue, with regards to "suitability".

Now....if he has a felony conviction, he may be a Federally Prohibited Person, and once you get licensed, you should not take him to the range (there's a thread that addresses that around here)

welcome.

Quite likely not unless he is on parole or probation (I have heard reports of parolees being subject to non-negotiable "nobody at the residence may have an FID or LTC" requirement, presumably, so there can be no defense against prosecution if the parole officer finds a gun on a shakedown).

If your brother in law is not "known to the police", chances are unlikely they will figure out everyone who lives at your house an run a background check. And, despite the frequent discussions about the need to answer question #10 completely and truthfully, #10 does NOT ask about relatives living in your house. Records of calls for police service at an address are pretty good, so if there is a history of calls to your house, expect them to notice that when doing the background check on you.

For you own sake - both to have the "correct answer" if the interview comes up, and to protect both you and your BIL against the possibility of charges if something happens (even something as benign as a firefighter or medic seeing a gun in the house). I suggest you have some sort of locked safe to make it very hard for someone to assert that your BIL has access or constructive possession of any firearms you keep in the house. Technically, having a trigger lock would do it, but I expect you will be on even more solid ground if the guns are stored in a locked container to which the felon does not have any access.

Thanks for all the QUICK replies!! Yeah, I don't ever plan on taking him shooting, nor do I plan on letting him or her have access to the weapons. I don't have any plans on shotguns or rifles at the current moment and plan on having a Mini Vault Safe to store a pistol or 2. I keep my afairs to myself so to be honest, they'd never even know I'd have guns in the house let alone let them access to it. I was just worried about being denied just because we live in the same apartment and no he's not "known" to them. If you guys tell me there's no issues then, I'm going to proceed as planned which includes taking a class. Thanks for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom