• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This made me feel bad at the range..

I walked into the range and there was only one other person there, a woman shooting in a booth.

She was shooting at a target 30ft. away and had a empty 50 round box on the bench and the target had about 3 holes in it. She gave me a funny look and I said to her, can I help you. She said, I have to qualify next month for my job as a armed security officer and I'm having trouble hitting the target, can you help me.

So I asked her for the revolver and it was so dirty that the trigger was real hard to pull. So I went and got my model 66 out of my range bag with a box of light wad cutters I had made. I pulled the target up to 15ft and gave her the revolver.

I really tried helping her and it just wasn't going to good, 30 hits at 15ft and those were all over the paper, so I went and got another box of wad cutters. Then I asked her which was her dominate eye and she said, well I'm blind in one eye and my left side is a little weak from a stroke.

When we finished I told her to practice at least once a week and to keep her gun clean. She said she learned a lot from me and that was the first time she had ever had a one on one lesson and was happy that I gave her the help and she said she thought she had improved a lot and then she put her loaded 38 in her holster under her shirt and left.

I felt bad for her mainly because she was really trying hard and I wish her well but health problems are hard obstacles to over come and she just couldn't face that fact.

Good on you for lending a coaching hand.

but... blind in one eye, weak side due to stroke, poor accuracy, careless gun maintenance = armed security guard?!

"well I'm blind in one eye and my left side is a little weak from a stroke."

You're a good soul to help this poor lady out Bugs!!!! But somehow it sure do seem she ought to be in another line of work where a weapon isn't required. Praises to her for working but geez.....what a conundrum this whole deal is!

but... blind in one eye, weak side due to stroke, poor accuracy, careless gun maintenance = armed security guard?!

It seems she may have picked the wrong career, but with how hard it can be to find a job these days, ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

And good on you for helping her out. I feel safer already.

Good man trying to give the help. You should have mentioned the site and see if you could get her on the board here also.

Hey some folks just weren't cut out to shoot, not even due to health problems.
I know a guy; nice guy, reloader, shooter, has been a range officer, his carry piece is worth more than ANY pistol I own.
At 15 yards he fired 2 magazines at his target, maybe hit the target 3 times. I could never figure that out.
With that gun at that range, I could have closed my eyes and emptied two mags in the vicinity of where I thought the target was and hit it more than that on chance alone.
Some folks just shoot because they like to regardless of their performance, which is good as there is always room for improvement and hey, they're on our side.

But you did do a good thing.

Good for you to help her out.

I see this in a lot of industries...poorly paid workers, little or no training, asked to handle dangerous situations (armed security guard) or hazzardous materials, like chemicals/high voltage equipment/high heat/moving machinery.

The poor worker has to do the job and not complain in order to live. But they must feel really anxious about their work every day!

Good for you Bugs. Always good to read these stories so we can remind ourselves how good most of us really have it in life. I hope it works out for that woman.

Yeah...I really have to question her line of work choice as well.

I'm legally blind (10/100 left & 10/150 right) and would NEVER consider a job as an armed security guard. I'd be too concerned about my safety as well as of those around me if I had to use my weapon. I fall under the category of "enjoyment with lots of room to improve". EC was my instructor at the class and really made me feel comfortable with the weapons and gave me a lot of pointers, but even then, no way would I be an armed guard unless it meant I'd lose my house or couldn't feed my family. Hope she is not in that circumstance!

Good on ya for helping her out though!

Perhaps she suffered the stroke after starting her career as a security guard? Sometimes people find it difficult to change careers, especially if they don't want to admit to themselves that they are no longer physically capable of handling the job.

Good for you for taking the time to help her out. Most people wouldn't have bothered.

Good work, hope she takes your advice.

I'd also say good on her, sounds like she's trying to get back to work.

Good for you to help her out.

I see this in a lot of industries...poorly paid workers, little or no training, asked to handle dangerous situations (armed security guard) or hazzardous materials, like chemicals/high voltage equipment/high heat/moving machinery.

The poor worker has to do the job and not complain in order to live. But they must feel really anxious about their work every day!

all of the above! Was she shooting at man sized targets or 12" square pieces of paper? She doesn't have to be an expert marksman to do her job and frankly even at 15 feet she's probably at the high end of whatever range she might need at work.

I hope you told her 3x to make sure the gun is cleared before she tries to clean it, or we'll be reading about her in the newspaper.

+1 on this. Definitely nice of you to help out. Depending on the type of business, I just can't help but thinking that wherever she's working would be unsafe during business hours and yet a prime target for would-be criminals. It's really too bad.

Its hard to shoot a double action revo well,especially with a crappy trigger, even with two good eyes and two good hands.

Am I a bad person for laughing at this?
I wish her the best, sounds like she's putting in a good effort :/

Back
Top Bottom