• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is why I quit ordering from Optics Planet...

There is no charge or pending charge until actual order fulfillment. You can easily cancel at anytime prior to them actually fulfilling the order. I recently had a back order fulfilled and they called me first to confirm I still wanted it and confirm payment. If I didn't want it anymore, it would have been the same as having never ordered it.

Against my better judgement and multiple bad experiences with Optics planet, they were the only place who had a part I was looking for in stock. To my surprise, it shipped the next day (tracking numbers for proof).

as long as I get it in the next few days I will be pleasantly surprised.

I ordered a buffer tube assembly from them on Sept 18th and the buffer tube was listed as "in stock". My card was charged and the order was then listed as "Order being fulfilled". After over two weeks with no update, I tried to cancel the order online, and because the order is in "being fulfilled", it wont allow me to cancel it. I called customer service and an automated message said that they are unable to answer my call and to use the online form to inquire about current orders. I used that and asked to cancel my order and to refund my charge card. I'll give them a week and then contact my credit card company. I will not do business with them again.

OP sorry to hear about your issues.

my experiences w optics planet have been very good. i once ordered the wrong sights for a beretta 92 vertec. the mistake was totally on me. the sights had even been opened and attempted to be mounted. optics planet allowed me to ship them back with exchange for the correct sights. no questions asked. no fees on my end. other orders from them have been smooth as well.

Same here. I stayed away from OP for a long time because of all the internet stories but at one point, I couldn't pass up a good deal on a Leupold Patrol from them. Since then, ordered probably another 10 times. Never had any issues.

I ordered a buffer tube assembly from them on Sept 18th and the buffer tube was listed as "in stock". My card was charged and the order was then listed as "Order being fulfilled". After over two weeks with no update, I tried to cancel the order online, and because the order is in "being fulfilled", it wont allow me to cancel it. I called customer service and an automated message said that they are unable to answer my call and to use the online form to inquire about current orders. I used that and asked to cancel my order and to refund my charge card. I'll give them a week and then contact my credit card company. I will not do business with them again.
Same exact thing happened to me recently. Try calling their "I want to place a new order" line. You'll get a live sales rep in a few minutes and they can cancel the order for you. Worked for me.

My only experience with Optics Planet was when I ordered a Spyderco knife from them. (They assured me it was in stock.) Took four months to finally receive it.

Has anyone order ammo from Optics Planet? Although items out of stock, they allow you to order with a projected back order time. Prices are good for these days, just wondering if they will ever fill the order.

Current situation... in July i ordered a pack of ten peltor skull screws which are the foam plugs for my ear protection. They were in stock. They sent me email after email delaying the shipment. No big deal no rush. Finally, five months later they arrive. Except instead of a pack of ten, there's one single plug. As if anyone except Vincent Van Gogh would order a single ear plug.

So if you call them they put you on hold. They play a looped recording about covid and hard times blah blah blah. Part of the message is that due to these circumstances they will not be returning voice mails. Then after some period of time, around thirty minutes, you get a message stating they can not take your call and please leave a voice mail.

Edit: a white knight from the great NES community is sending me some skull screws!

You have been warned.

Last edited:
Current situation... in July i ordered a pack of ten peltor skull screws which are the foam plugs for my ear protection. They were in stock. They sent me email after email delaying the shipment. No big deal no rush. Finally, five months later they arrive. Except instead of a pack of ten, there's one single plug. As if anyone except Vincent Van Gogh would order a single ear plug.

So if you call them they put you on hold. They play a looped recording about covid and hard times blah blah blah. Part of the message is that due to these circumstances they will not be returning voice mails. Then after some period of time, around thirty minutes, you get a message eating they can not take your call and please leave a voice mail.

You have been warned.
Try calling and selecting the line to place an order. That worked for me when I needed to cancel their bullshit.

Ordered a Sig Romeo5XDR from them very early January, was assured it was in stock and would ship within 7 business days.

2 days later got an email with item # etc, now stating it would ship by Jan 28th.

1 week after that got another email stating that there is no shipping date at this time, no further information available.

Thankfully it’s not a priority right now but still a poor way to do business and will be my last purchase from them if they don’t drastically change the way they operate.

Ordered a Sig Romeo5XDR from them very early January, was assured it was in stock and would ship within 7 business days.

2 days later got an email with item # etc, now stating it would ship by Jan 28th.

1 week after that got another email stating that there is no shipping date at this time, no further information available.

Thankfully it’s not a priority right now but still a poor way to do business and will be my last purchase from them if they don’t drastically change the way they operate.

You can just go online and cancel your order if you want.

So if you call them they put you on hold. They play a looped recording about covid and hard times blah blah blah. Part of the message is that due to these circumstances they will not be returning voice mails. Then after some period of time, around thirty minutes, you get a message stating they can not take your call and please leave a voice mail.

Edit: a white knight from the great NES community is sending me some skull screws!

You have been warned.

That's the one situation I would fear with OP - you want the item but they made a "counting" issue. I have recieved the wrong item, no big deal, go online and initiate return, eventually the right one showed up (or could've sought a refund too).

Maybe, maybe not. I ordered an "in stock" bipod that they failed to ship after several weeks of waiting. I tried to cancel it online, only to find that their system disallows cancellations of orders that are being "processed". I tried calling their existing orders line and no one answered. I tried emailing and they told me to keep waiting. I did, and it became clear that the bipod was not in stock and the order was not being processed. I finally called their "place a new order" line, which they answered promptly, and directed the saleswoman to cancel my order. It was a frustrating waste of my time and I won't use them again.

All of my pre-covid purchases were fine. Mostly holsters and scopes/ optics. Tried to order BA as they had the best price. As others have mentioned, the website and checkout process showed in stock. Got an email shortly thereafter that it was about a three month wait.
But cancelling was easy online, and I ordered the items direct from the manufacturer, (Shellback) and had it in 5 days.

I ordered a Rise trigger the first week of Dec with a 1-3days to ship. My date has been adjusted 3 times and I am now expecting 2/8.
I’ve bought a bunch of stuff from them, but this is the first extended wait. I’ll be fine and will continue to order more of the price is right...

Maybe, maybe not. I ordered an "in stock" bipod that they failed to ship after several weeks of waiting. I tried to cancel it online, only to find that their system disallows cancellations of orders that are being "processed". I tried calling their existing orders line and no one answered. I tried emailing and they told me to keep waiting. I did, and it became clear that the bipod was not in stock and the order was not being processed. I finally called their "place a new order" line, which they answered promptly, and directed the saleswoman to cancel my order. It was a frustrating waste of my time and I won't use them again.

Yep I have seen similar, basically waited and eventually either items shipped or fell back to a state where I was able to cancel..

Mostly what drove me nuts was an item that was backordered, came into stock, then sat in some shipping/processing related state for 3 weeks (my take is the item actually hadn't arrived when the status changed, then took forever when it did to get picked, added to a box with my other stuff, and actually shipped)..

But again, item showed and I payed a lot less than I would have otherwise, for something that literally nobody else had in stock when I was able to at least get in line for one at OP. I get how their processes and lack of reasonably contacted humans can drive one insane but my stuff eventually shows 100% of the time, so I keep buying from them - am way ahead of the game after years and thousands in discounted stuff.

end of january i ordered a handguard ( first time ordering from them), as they were the only site i could find, that said it was in stock, figured i didnt care if i had to wait as the barrel for that build is 5 months out. less then a week later, it shows up. very happy with the price, communication and service....fast forward to today. come into work and receive a phone call, woman says her card was charged on 2/10 for $80.49, for a mount that is being shipped to me.. she was given my name with shipping info, and OP customer service says they can't cancel order. i did purchase the same mount she described on 2/9, but it was from ebay ( seller marvinm-6443), and my card was charged $79.94 through paypal ( to said seller) i look up the seller on ebay, he's only been there 2 weeks, and has 2 neg reps. i see on one, they complained how slow it was to get item, and that it drop shipped from optics planet. now will i get one , two or zero mounts sent to me??? ebay tracking says label was created and not shipped yet, and her email from OP customer service says item has shipped ( did not have tracking info). i will wait and see...what a cluster f, why wouldn't they just have their own ID on ebay?

ecustomer service says item has shipped ( did not have tracking info). i will wait and see...what a cluster f, why wouldn't they just have their own ID on ebay?
Sounds like an independent reseller using the "drop ship" technique to avoid paying for inventory until the customer has made the purchase. Just another middleman skimming off the top.

Just an FYI, that doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Placed an order (and was charged in full, not an "authorization") for an in stock item, received an email a few hours stating it was being packed for shipment. Thirteen days later the status remains unchanged, so I click Cancel Order and it says, "Your Cancellation Request Has Been Submitted". That was five days ago and I never received an email confirming the cancellation, a credit to my card and the status is still processing. It even still lets me click on Cancel Order. First and last order with Optics Plant.

Sounds like an independent reseller using the "drop ship" technique to avoid paying for inventory until the customer has made the purchase. Just another middleman skimming off the top.
Given the random third party who says her card was charged, I'd guess it's more likely a criminal fraud scheme.

end of january i ordered a handguard ( first time ordering from them), as they were the only site i could find, that said it was in stock, figured i didnt care if i had to wait as the barrel for that build is 5 months out. less then a week later, it shows up. very happy with the price, communication and service....fast forward to today. come into work and receive a phone call, woman says her card was charged on 2/10 for $80.49, for a mount that is being shipped to me.. she was given my name with shipping info, and OP customer service says they can't cancel order. i did purchase the same mount she described on 2/9, but it was from ebay ( seller marvinm-6443), and my card was charged $79.94 through paypal ( to said seller) i look up the seller on ebay, he's only been there 2 weeks, and has 2 neg reps. i see on one, they complained how slow it was to get item, and that it drop shipped from optics planet. now will i get one , two or zero mounts sent to me??? ebay tracking says label was created and not shipped yet, and her email from OP customer service says item has shipped ( did not have tracking info). i will wait and see...what a cluster f, why wouldn't they just have their own ID on ebay?
Whoa boy.
Who the f*** is giving your personal information out to some other customer?

Even if it's a clown shoe-level paperwork snafu,
the worst-case security risks are just as bad.

Hmm. Seems like a straightforward cardwashing scheme - S takes money from person A on eBay/PPal, uses Person V's card to order it from OP, ship to A. S is gone from eBay soon after. V is stuck with a bill/card fraud dispute. A is possibly stuck explaining how this happened.

Back
Top Bottom