• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This Is What I Really Think

Gun clubs across MA are going about their business the wrong way. They are taking the approach that they want to be low profile and don't want anybody to know they even exist. Wrong approach.
I think every club in MA should get together and coordinate a summer weekend open house for their respective communities. Rich clubs can help the smaller low budget clubs with the master plan being to perpetuate gun clubs in MA.

The goal of the open house would be to educate the general public. Guns aren't just killing machines, and in fact most guns are used for hobby, sport or collecting.
That open house should include a BBQ, fun and games for kids, and a designated area to show people who have never owned or even touched a gun how to shoot.
Management should meet and shake the hands of every person that enters. Members should do the same. Strike up conversations and make the visitors feel comfortable.
They will see that gun owners are people just like them, not crazy school shooting psychos.
They will understand that guns aren't just used for killing, like the liberal media has trained them to believe.
They will see how disciplined we are in handling firearms safely.
They will see that "assault rifles" are just bigger guns that make a bigger boom, and that bigger boom is fun. Why do people buy $100,000 200mph sports cars if the speed limit is 65? Because when people collect things, they like to collect the best available that they can afford.
They will feel a sense of accomplishment when they hit the bulls-eye.
And most importantly, they will say "wow, shooting that gun was a lot of fun. I want one too".

I'm 100% certain that the majority of people who were anti-gun or at the very least indifferent when they walked in will view gun owners and guns in a different light by the time they leave.
I'm sure there would be some hard cores who's minds can't be changed, but over all I think more people will leave with a positive opinion than a negative opinion.

Unfortunately, I believe that what I think isn't what the clubs will think.
They will remain isolated and that isolation will eventually be the demise of gun clubs in MA.
You can't fight or win a propaganda war if your opponent has all the air time while you hide in the shadows.

That's what I really think.

I like your attitude and I think you have given it some thought which is nice. There are clubs that do in fact have these just as you suggested. Other clubs may just need active members willing to partake in these events and put them on. Have you discussed it with your club directly? What was the reaction?

Are you a member of GOAL or COMM2A? I think they are both great organizations to be part of and I ask for your support with them.

Keep this discussion going folks… Are any of your local clubs doing any such thing?

Westford has a kid's fishing derby every April, and an open house in October. The open house features demos at all of the club ranges, SWAT team, some animal exhibits, etc...

I think the problem is that they are never really promoted. Most members don't seem to bother and most of the public never finds out about it.

Our club hosts some events that are a bit more structured yet have a great turnout- Boy Scout / Cub Scout campouts and Women On Target. Seems like events with some specific ties are always well attended.

From a Southern newcomer's perspective, I think the gun club scene in Mass is surprisingly good. Seems like the political adversity draws out more passion than I saw down south, and there are many clubs. I came from a city much bigger than Worcester, but I had to drive almost a half hour to my club. That club was closed by encroaching development, so the next closest was a 40 minute drive in the opposite direction. I now live in a small town in central Mass. There are at least 4 clubs within 20 minutes of my house. I know lots of folks who are members at more than one.

This is worth preserving, if not growing. You are right, we need to be proactive and reach out to the general public. To know us is to love us! [smile]

Last edited:
I disagree that most guns are used for hobby or collecting. Most of the people I hang around with are self defense guys/ladies who do have guns for those other reasons, but primarily for self defense.

I don't say this to rain on your parade - your idea is a good one - but the number one thing that stood out in your post, in my reading, is that you explicitly left this out.

As others have said, a lot of clubs do this. I like the Women on Target program best, ATM, because it reaches out to the most important demographic in our area, IMHO. Last year, HSC hosted 37 women for a great day of shooting,,and we changed a lot of minds.

Another thing to consider is that in a lot of free states, they may not have a 'club scene'. When I lived in NV, I don't even know if they had gun clubs. We just drove a couple miles past the last house, pulled over, and started shooting towards the mountains.

Last edited:
I disagree that most guns are used for hobby or collecting. Most of the people I hang around with are self defense guys/ladies who do have guns for those other reasons, but primarily for self defense.

I don't say this to rain on your parade - your idea is a good one - but the number one thing that stood out in your post, in my reading, is that you explicitly left this out.

I didn't purposely leave it out I just didn't think to mention it. The real meaning is that there are far more people using guns for lawful purposes than for criminal activity. The media purposely leaves that part out. They only report on the latest killing because it's dramatic and helps their cause. I wrote the NRA and told them that while I appreciate that they protect 2A, they don't do a very good job in the propaganda war. I told them they should use some of those millions in proceeds to air documentaries, in prime time, introducing non-gun owners to all of the good things about shooting. It develops discipline, teamwork, sense of accomplishment, competition and you meet a lot of good people. I never heard back from them.

I wrote the NRA and told them that while I appreciate that they protect 2A, they don't do a very good job in the propaganda war. I told them they should use some of those millions in proceeds to air documentaries, in prime time, introducing non-gun owners to all of the good things about shooting. It develops discipline, teamwork, sense of accomplishment, competition and you meet a lot of good people. I never heard back from them.

That's because their focus has shifted from representing gun owners to representing the gun industry. From a 2013 article about this...

"...today less than half of the NRA's revenues come from program fees and membership dues.

The bulk of the group's money now comes in the form of contributions, grants, royalty income, and advertising, much of it originating from gun industry sources.

Since 2005, the gun industry and its corporate allies have given between $20 million and $52.6 million to it through the NRA Ring of Freedom sponsor program. Donors include firearm companies like Midway USA, Springfield Armory Inc, Pierce Bullet Seal Target Systems, and Beretta USA Corporation. Other supporters from the gun industry include Cabala's, Sturm Rugar & Co, and Smith & Wesson.

The NRA also made $20.9 million — about 10 percent of its revenue — from selling advertising to industry companies marketing products in its many publications in 2010, according to the IRS Form 990.

Additionally, some companies donate portions of sales directly to the NRA. Crimson Trace, which makes laser sights, donates 10 percent of each sale to the NRA. Taurus buys an NRA membership for everyone who buys one of their guns. Sturm Rugar gives $1 to the NRA for each gun sold, which amounts to millions. The NRA's revenues are intrinsically linked to the success of the gun business."

Essentially, money talks. And we gun owners can't compete with the deep pockets in the industry so our opinions really aren't all that important to them.

I agree with this initial post and like your ideas. Many clubs are run by older men who have no clue about marketing or promotions or as you said they want to try to keep their club under the radar. If their kids don't join after them these clubs will eventually disappear. I know my club used to have these events and the other day I found a poster from a carnival held on the grounds years ago. I'm not sure the carnival is the way to go but definitely have an open house BBQ with a chance to fire guns and see what it's really all about. Meeting the people who are members at the club would do wonders to change the public perception of law abiding gun owners

Talking at the people in charge at my club is like talking to a about to die walking rock. They all have the old-timers flu, and forget about making them realize that they are not helping our cause. There are more politics at my club than Washington. Last years September NRA day was a disastrous disappointment with -60% less people than previous year. I did my part and volunteered, paid for my own ammo and introduced new/young/old shooters to shooting and firearms safety.

I agree with the OP, all clubs need to promote in their communities, becoming more active and more involved and not act like we are some elusive and secretive society that exists only underground.

Last edited:
That's because their focus has shifted from representing gun owners to representing the gun industry. From a 2013 article about this...

"...today less than half of the NRA's revenues come from program fees and membership dues.

The bulk of the group's money now comes in the form of contributions, grants, royalty income, and advertising, much of it originating from gun industry sources.

Since 2005, the gun industry and its corporate allies have given between $20 million and $52.6 million to it through the NRA Ring of Freedom sponsor program. Donors include firearm companies like Midway USA, Springfield Armory Inc, Pierce Bullet Seal Target Systems, and Beretta USA Corporation. Other supporters from the gun industry include Cabala's, Sturm Rugar & Co, and Smith & Wesson.

The NRA also made $20.9 million — about 10 percent of its revenue — from selling advertising to industry companies marketing products in its many publications in 2010, according to the IRS Form 990.

Additionally, some companies donate portions of sales directly to the NRA. Crimson Trace, which makes laser sights, donates 10 percent of each sale to the NRA. Taurus buys an NRA membership for everyone who buys one of their guns. Sturm Rugar gives $1 to the NRA for each gun sold, which amounts to millions. The NRA's revenues are intrinsically linked to the success of the gun business."

Essentially, money talks. And we gun owners can't compete with the deep pockets in the industry so our opinions really aren't all that important to them.

That's the ANTI-2A assessment of the NRA. If the members disappeared who do you think they'd send the magazine to that contains the ads? MidWay CUSTOMERS CHOOSE to donate money in the ROUND UP option at check out. That's PEOPLE choosing to donate their own money and not a corp. payout.

Those same people would claim that Obama won the presidency through "grass root efforts" and not through PAC money.

Last edited:
I like your attitude and I think you have given it some thought which is nice. There are clubs that do in fact have these just as you suggested. Other clubs may just need active members willing to partake in these events and put them on. Have you discussed it with your club directly? What was the reaction?

Are you a member of GOAL or COMM2A? I think they are both great organizations to be part of and I ask for your support with them.

Keep this discussion going folks… Are any of your local clubs doing any such thing?

Being a member of both and supporting them is great, and we should, but I agree we need a bigger face out there. Whether it's the gun clubs being more vocal/visual, does either Comm2A or GOAL have any ads out there? I don't have broadcast TV(ROKU FTW) and don't really listen to the radio, but someone needs to combat the antis on a more public front(not that Jim debating hasn't, but we need more like the commercials about "I carry")

Most clubs are chock full fudds who don't care to do anything other than required work parties to maintain mambership. Others will gladly pay extra so they don't have to participate in said work parties. There are usually a handful that spend as much time as possible doing anything to make the club better for all. Then the dbags come and shoot up the nice target stands and signs that were just put up.

It gets tedious after a while and then neglected areas turn to junk.

When I was a member of a local club, meetings were a cackling contest where the committee reports were not worth any attention. Especially the legislative committee.

Every year, we awarded scholarship money to kids and hosted the scouts for a week of camping etc.

There were always activities for families and it was always the same faces, no new blood.

While the concept is valid, I think it all starts at home.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

There is a new one coming that may change that. Weston shooters club is run and owner by Leo R. He's a frequent flyer on here and a Weston police officer. I believe his facility is still being built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom