This Gun Is Making a Comeback: Walther PPK Is One Again in Production

I've a look-alike - the Polish P-64

100400575_993_4613D307C8FA9B97.JPG

Mine snapped a link before I shot 20 rounds.

I've not fired it since.

I have been looking for just that. The problems are the scammers, the fake descriptions, and in some cases, the price. I don’t mind paying for a collector grade piece if the gun actually fits the description.

Funny story about the acquisition of my PPK/s. I was on my weekly visit to my local LGS’s to just look around and check out inventory. There was the Walther, shining, in the used gun cabinet. I try, not always successfully, to avoid impulsive gun purchases. However, after sleeping on it, including a dream, I went back the next day and bought it.

The guy behind the counter told me this story: Apparently a fellow with enormous hands bought the Walther. He brought it to the range and it beat up his hands, and he couldn’t control the grip. Basically all the horrifying and bad end of the world stuff already quoted in this thread happened to him. He brought it back to the LGS and pleaded with them to take it back. The counter guy told me that the policy was not to refund $ on a used gun purchase, but the fellow made such a case that they gave him a full refund.

Apparently, a lot of folks had been ogling the Walther before I came back to purchase it. The counter guy said that a lot of people were going to be disappointed when they came back to the store.

I got my Walther, with all it’s foibles and I love it!

Keep up the search and one will find its way to you. Do you have a relationship with your LGS that you could leave your name in case one came in on a trade?

Although all the ballistic stuff quoted here is accurate, I always feel like if I have to draw I’ll just dazzle the thug with, “OMG, or S...T, that’s James Bond’s gun”, and walk away victorious. / sarc.

Steve

My stainless S&W PPK and PPK/S 380s have both been flawless and are the best feeling guns in the hand that I own. Best looking ones to, IMHO.

My stainless S&W PPK and PPK/S 380s have both been flawless and are the best feeling guns in the hand that I own. Best looking ones to, IMHO.

Well you're just wrong. ROFL!!!

(seriously - this is the first time I've EVER heard of reliability issues with S&W PPK's. I'm not saying it ISN'T happening, just that I watched them come and go and people GUSHED over how great they were. I've got an old import. Works fine. Useless gun. Frickin 007 is the only reason I have it. That b-word!)

I've a look-alike - the Polish P-64
<Photo of pistol whose trigger gets an Idiot Scratch just from being pulled>
Mine snapped a link before I shot 20 rounds.

I've not fired it since.
Damn.
That may be the safest course of action.
Sigh.

ETA:
One alternative is to replace the link,
and brag you own a link-fed handgun.

holy moly, i had a stainless interarms .380 ppk/s years ago. forget when i bought it but know exactly when i dumped, errr...traded it away, dec 1993. this would be the only gun i could never get to function, or i guess i should say feed. i spent hundreds of dollars on different ammo, no go. and in those days there was no such thing as a box of 20, you had to get a box of 50. god, i wanted this little pistol to work, i loved everything about it. i know they are suppose to be nice pistols but this soured me on the ppk/s. i've never bad mouthed the gun to anyone, never bashed walther, i just got a lemon. i think i only posted once before regarding this gun here on nes.

only once in my life did i ever need a gun for actual personal defense and i threw this in my pocket knowing i'd only get one shot, the one that was chambered. i've never put myself in that position again. someday when i'm sucking gin & tonics down, i'll post that experience if anyone is interested.

I'd be afraid that those plastic grips would decompose at some point.
Oh well, the Germans were wizards at organic chemistry.
Maybe they're made of something rugged. (Thermosetting plastic?)

Still, if I owned something like that,
I'd be on the lookout for cheesy 3D printed replacements.

My grips are 80 years old and in great shape.You can see a very slight swell outwards on the top of the right side, but that's it.

A0946502-E019-4388-92E8-57772A2A5F49.jpeg 087B7DBE-433C-4D6B-A07C-EC8E40D9C2D8.jpeg
t

Ah yes. TEC-9. The most inaccurate gun ever designed by man. "Let's make a pistol that fires from an open bolt. That'll bump up the accuracy!" LOL

I almost had my hands on one from here right before Newtown. I wanna say the guy wanted $500 or something. I didn't bite. Stupid me. It's a dumb gun, but it's so 1980's iconic. I'd just own it to own it. ROFL!!!

Instead I have an Uzi and I'm slowly working on building a Sten. Folding stock Uzi's are very uncomfortable to fire for such a puny cartridge.

Ah yes. TEC-9. The most inaccurate gun ever designed by man. "Let's make a pistol that fires from an open bolt. That'll bump up the accuracy!" LOL

I almost had my hands on one from here right before Newtown. I wanna say the guy wanted $500 or something. I didn't bite. Stupid me. It's a dumb gun, but it's so 1980's iconic. I'd just own it to own it. ROFL!!!

Instead I have an Uzi and I'm slowly working on building a Sten. Folding stock Uzi's are very uncomfortable to fire for such a puny cartridge.

I've used them in Basic Pistol courses in the section, "Why do Americans own guns."

It's too inaccurate for target shooting; it's not powerful enough for hunting; it's too big to carry concealed; it's too unreliable for personal defense....why do I have one.....because I can.

I dug this thread up looking for reliability issues with the Ft. Smith made PPK’s. No issues so far. A beautiful gun, the beavertail is sharp on the edges, but a death grip helps. I did run some emery across it to round out the edges. It helped. Fun to shoot, aims naturally and doesn’t snag ripping it out of my pocket. Despite all the back and forth about cartridge size I don’t feel under gunned carrying it, but then, I’ve been carrying a .32. I paid full retail but there’s better prices out there.
5371C862-4D55-4301-B374-6F7E8DC62F85.jpegE032B809-B03F-421D-B2B4-E04B85B6E50F.jpeg

Bought a used one out in Belchertown a million years ago. Worthless piece of junk. Jammed up every time no matter what ammo I used. Got a round jammed up so bad one day at the range I had to have someone help me get it dislodged. I left and went straight to the now defunct B&D in Hyde Park. Walked in threw it on the counter and asked the guy if he wanted the piece of shit. He laughed and said not really. He ended up taking it in trade for a brand new Norinco 12 ga, carry case and two boxes of rounds. Never looked back

I had a S&W one i bought from four seasons years ago for $400. had about 700 through it with no issues. Sold it to buy another gun. I wouldn't mind getting another one but not at today's prices. I see them going for $750-800 [rofl]

I owned a Bersa bootleg PPK some years ago. Utterly reliable but the blowback recoil felt ridiculous compared to how powerful the rounds were supposed to be. My friend's fancy Talo engraved PPK couldn't feed hollow points lol. Every mag had at least one stovepipe.

I have a stainless Interarms built PPK from the early 80's, bought it used in the late 80's and carried it daily through the late 90's.
I shot it fairly often, mostly with my own jacketed reloads, and rarely ever had a malfunction of any kind. I guess I got a good one because I heard reports all the time of poor reliability from the Interarms made guns, especially their PPK/s variant.
My dad had a PPK/s which was one of the crappy ones, he dumped it for a PPK like mine. Which also proved to be very reliable, but he rarely ever took it out of the house, so his remained in mint condition. I inherited it when he passed away, but decided I didn't need two of them, so I traded it for a SIG 229. I still have my original PPK, but it hasn't been out of the safe in years. I can't say it was ever a very pleasant gun to shoot, after two or three mags I'm ready to put it away, but it is quite accurate for such a small pistol.
BTW, the S/N on it begins with A007. [smile]
I've handled some of the S&W made PPK's, but I don't like the lengthened tang, it looks rather awkward compared to the original design. I know the redesign was to reduce hammer bite, but that was never an issue with me.
The new Arkansas built guns appear to have retained this feature.

Last edited:
Bought a used one out in Belchertown a million years ago. Worthless piece of junk. Jammed up every time no matter what ammo I used. Got a round jammed up so bad one day at the range I had to have someone help me get it dislodged. I left and went straight to the now defunct B&D in Hyde Park. Walked in threw it on the counter and asked the guy if he wanted the piece of shit. He laughed and said not really. He ended up taking it in trade for a brand new Norinco 12 ga, carry case and two boxes of rounds. Never looked back
R and R ? :)

Isn't the PPK rather large for a .380 by today's standard? If it's true that blow backs kick harder than locked breach guns, then the PPK would be a large underpowered hard kicking gun. Just what I want.
PPK isn’t large but it is heavy. It doesn’t hold up compared to pretty much anything, outside of its good looks. A Glock 42 weighs a lot less and doesn’t recoil as harshly.

It's my everyday carry pistol in summer months, very easy to conceal and a lot of fun to shoot. I also have a PPK in 22 which I use solely as a range gun.
My winter carry's are either a Beretta 92FS or a S&W 357 with a 2.75 barrel. Love all of them.

holy moly, i had a stainless interarms .380 ppk/s years ago. forget when i bought it but know exactly when i dumped, errr...traded it away, dec 1993. this would be the only gun i could never get to function, or i guess i should say feed. i spent hundreds of dollars on different ammo, no go. and in those days there was no such thing as a box of 20, you had to get a box of 50. god, i wanted this little pistol to work, i loved everything about it. i know they are suppose to be nice pistols but this soured me on the ppk/s. i've never bad mouthed the gun to anyone, never bashed walther, i just got a lemon. i think i only posted once before regarding this gun here on nes.

only once in my life did i ever need a gun for actual personal defense and i threw this in my pocket knowing i'd only get one shot, the one that was chambered. i've never put myself in that position again. someday when i'm sucking gin & tonics down, i'll post that experience if anyone is interested.
Do tell.

Back
Top Bottom