This Gun Is Making a Comeback: Walther PPK Is One Again in Production

.380? I don't think that's going to sell very well.

It historically sold best in .380 despite being really best in .32. There's a demand for .380 pocket guns these days but the PPK is a niche gun...

..which I will be more than happy to be a part of. I love the PPK, PPK/S, and PP. I owned a .22LR PPK/S and I really wanted a new .380 PPK/S. I will buy a new one now.

But you will not be able to get a new production German model because the design fails the "sporting purpose" of the Fed Gun Control Act of 1968, and who the heck knows about the MA roster.

But you will not be able to get a new production German model because the design fails the "sporting purpose" of the Fed Gun Control Act of 1968, and who the heck knows about the MA roster.

The article states it will be manufactured in the US and Germany, so you can get an American built model.

And it's literally already on the EOPSS roster. Scroll to the last page. Walther PPK .380 ACP.

One of my all time favorites. Go to carry piece for many decades. Unfortunately it is IMNSHO obsolete.
It is heavy for what it is, bucks like a mule with effective rounds in it, and low capacity.
The .380 was always a compromise and now there are just too many 9mm semi's that outshine it.

I've got an old-ish one. I've had a Sig 232. I think I had a stainless S&W PPK. In the end, I went with the James Bond Gun era PPK import. Sits in the safe. Not a proper modern gun.

As far as the article - WTF??? Yeah. Sleek lines. Because that guy you are shooting is thinking, "Oh crap, I'm dying, but look at the sleek lines on that gun he's shooting me with!"

The single worst gun I have ever shot. Malfunction after malfunction. My buddy has one too and his is a steaming pile of crap too. We’d both be dead if we ever got in to a bad situation with it as our carry gun.

But we did get to pretend we were 007. So there’s always that

I have had two. The first Interarms in the 70's was blue and a very nice piece of hardware. Absolutely reliable and yep it had slick smooth lines. Goldfinger would tremble whenever I drew.

The second was a S&W about 15 years ago and stainless. It had MIM parts and snapped the ejector in the first 100 rounds.

After the repair it was vary consistent to shoot 134 rounds continuously and then start having FTF. I always felt okay knowing I had 134 times to stop the bad guys before the gun stopped me.

Both of them had spring kits installed and the actions tuned including a feed ramp polish. I still think they are great and run neck and neck to the Sig 232 but even the LC9S is a more practical answer even as it is ugly as the cousin you have to take to prom.

When it comes to the PPK I like the old German made ones.I have one of those in 32,and I also have on the way a Walam 48 in 380 that's a Hungarian copy of Walther PP. The CZ50/70 feels like,and have some features of the PPK. I think S&W hurt the PPK with the junk they made, but that's my personal opinion.

I've had two, won't get another. First was Interarms, second S&W.
At first I thought they were great, but as previously stated, for what they are they're pretty heavy and pretty snappy.
Lots of better options these days.

IIRC the new production pistols were pretty pricey compared to the variety of modern pocket pistols available. Technology has come a long way in bringing down manufacturing costs. Nostalgia factor gotta be high to pay 2x the cost of something more modern.

I’ve been looking for the right PPK (.380, low round count, etc.) for a while now. I don’t know if I could buy a new one and have the same excitement as buying an older one. Having said that, I do like the white lettering.

I always wanted one....until I got one. For a .380 it was very heavy, it kicked painfully hard, the trigger sucked, and the frame had more sharp edges than a box of razors. Too bad, it was a beautiful old Walther in great condition. It just sucked to shoot.

Sexy in SS...

iu

I've got an old PP in .380, carried it for many years, countless rounds through it and it has functioned perfectly. Although last time I went to the range I used a different brand of hollow point and it hesitated feeding a couple. I'm guessing its just time for a new spring.

Oh, and I'm in for getting a PPK.

One thing I really liked was the way it just disappeared when I CC.

I shot a PPK once. It was snappy, and as said before....sharp somehow. It’s the only gun I’ve had bite me. It was wicked cool though. I wouldn’t carry one, but having one in the collection would be great. 007 made it beyond cool.

briefly had a PPK (not /S) in 380. i wanted to like it but never fit my hand correctly. blowback recoil impulse was awful and web of hand could only handle like 3 mags then done. maybe i just needed to take off my bra but the G42 is like half the weight and recoils way less.

to me everyone needs to shoot a blowback 380 as an educational experience and grasp the genius of Browning's tilting barrel design.

Those are absolute dumpster fire guns. S&W ones are trash, Interarms are slightly better and the German ones are just ok. I can't imagine the new ones will suck any less. Wouldnt mind an old PP in .32 from the 30s or 40s though.

Those are absolute dumpster fire guns. S&W ones are trash, Interarms are slightly better and the German ones are just ok. I can't imagine the new ones will suck any less. Wouldnt mind an old PP in .32 from the 30s or 40s though.
This. They suck. One of the worst guns I’ve ever owned.

My S&W stainless .380 PPK and PPK/s and .22LR PPK/s and Interarms .22LR TPH have all run like champs with no problems or bite at all. Very accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot...and oh so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom