This Gun Is Making a Comeback: Walther PPK Is One Again in Production

PPK isn’t large but it is heavy. It doesn’t hold up compared to pretty much anything, outside of its good looks. A Glock 42 weighs a lot less and doesn’t recoil as harshly.
Sometimes, that is all anybody wants.

What about the Sig 232, which is basically a clone of the PPK? How close of a clone are they? Do they do anything better or worse than the original?

How about the Bersa (is it "Thunder"?) .380? Another not bad looking gun in .380. Similarities/differences?

Thanks.

What about the Sig 232, which is basically a clone of the PPK? How close of a clone are they? Do they do anything better or worse than the original?

It's not a clone of the PPK, but they are very similar, with the 232 being a bit larger in every dimension.
I've fired them side-by-side for comparison, the 232 is more comfortable in the hand, and a bit softer shooting, but that's likely because the one I shot had rubber grips. The 232 has a decocker, but no manual safety. The hammer spur is smaller and sits deeper into the slide, so it's a little harder to cock manually, but if you have larger hands, there's also no chance of getting hammer bite.
The 232 also has a heel type mag release whereas the PPK has a 1911 style button release.

Here's a review from 10 years ago:

View: https://youtu.be/vy1VV0GgjNk

Last edited:
Sometimes, that is all anybody wants.

How about the Bersa (is it "Thunder"?) .380? Another not bad looking gun in .380. Similarities/differences?

Thanks.
p232 is a tank compared to a ppk. Much more reliable though. From a practical standpoint if you ever ran a G42 you'd never want one of those. A p232 looks cool, is reliable.... it sucks at everything else.

Of course Bond’s original sidearm (in the novel) was a Beretta 418 in .25 ACP. But Geoffrey Bothroyd, a friend of Ian Fleming’s, told him that the Beretta was a “lady’s” gun and recommended he switch it to the Walther PPK in .32 ACP. That’s been Bond’s weapon of choice through most of the movies, except when Pierce Brosnan was playing him. Pierce’s bond carried a P99.

I have one of the Interarms manufactured versions. Bought it used in the late 80s. Supposedly NIB/unfired and it looked it but you never know. It runs flawlessley. Recoil is enough to make a grown man cry. It is currently a safe queen. If someone came along with some $$ I'd let it go. Had it listed here on NES a few times but no bites.

I’ve been very happy with my Ft. Smith PPK. So far it’s been 100% and accurate as all hell. A long site radius for a small gun or it just kind of lends itself to naturally point. I had to take Scotchbrite to the edges of the beavertail to keep it from cutting my hand and made it a lot more fun to shoot. If I had any gripes it would be the grips. I like the black but it looks like they used a cheap mold or it didn’t pack out.
BF67942A-A187-44B1-B975-404549BFECC2.jpeg

My S&W PPK in .380 absolutely hates any modern defensive ammo except Remington Ultimate Defense. Haven't carried it in years and the only reason I keep it around is because it's the first handgun I ever bought and I get sentimental about those things.

My S&W PPK in .380 absolutely hates any modern defensive ammo except Remington Ultimate Defense. Haven't carried it in years and the only reason I keep it around is because it's the first handgun I ever bought and I get sentimental about those things.
Go out and get a German PP. Second gun I bought and still my favorite. Runs flawlessly and dead on accurate.

I met Bugs100 one time for some brass he was giving to me. He also offered me a PPK for $400. I really wanted it and wish I had picked it up. The slide bite turned me away though. He passed not long after that.

Go out and get a German PP. Second gun I bought and still my favorite. Runs flawlessly and dead on accurate.
True. I have a 1971 W. German mfr PPK/s, it was the 2nd carry gun I ever bought in the late 1970s (bought at Ivanhoe's). It ate everything I fed it, never a problem. I've been told horror stories on the US made models and even had one dealer refuse to sell me one when I told him it would strictly be for investment purposes.

Meanwhile, I retired mine to safe queen status probably 20 years ago . . . one of these days I'll put it up for sale.

True. I have a 1971 W. German mfr PPK/s, it was the 2nd carry gun I ever bought in the late 1970s (bought at Ivanhoe's). It ate everything I fed it, never a problem. I've been told horror stories on the US made models and even had one dealer refuse to sell me one when I told him it would strictly be for investment purposes.

Meanwhile, I retired mine to safe queen status probably 20 years ago . . . one of these days I'll put it up for sale.
I was thinking about getting an older German one to replace it at some point. I just mailed off my C&R application a few weeks ago, so once that arrives maybe I'll start hunting around online.

I bought an S&W model from someone on here years ago. Wouldn't run two rounds in a row. I bought a Wolff spring replacement kit and that helped a lot. When it went back for the recall and they polished the feed ramps it would then feed anything I tried. Golddots, critical defense, and Golden Saber that I remember.

I bought an S&W model from someone on here years ago. Wouldn't run two rounds in a row. I bought a Wolff spring replacement kit and that helped a lot. When it went back for the recall and they polished the feed ramps it would then feed anything I tried. Golddots, critical defense, and Golden Saber that I remember.
I might look into that. Thanks.

I picked up a new PPK/S in .22LR, what a fun gun, I wanted one in .380 but ammo right now is tough so I grabbed this.
I have been shooting the crap out of it, running all kinds of ammo with no problems. People claim its finicky with certain ammo but I have had no problems. After every range trip I clean it good and oil her up and it runs great. My kids love it, its a great plinker and great for a first time shooter.

Major Strasser is very excited to read this! ;)
Actually Major Strasser carried a P08. He pulls it on Rick at the airport while he is calling the tower to stop the Lisbon plane. Rick shoots him first.
You are correct in that the PPK was generally issued only to officers and high-ranking party officials.

Dude! You're ruining my joke! ;)

Actually Major Strasser carried a P08. He pulls it on Rick at the airport while he is calling the tower to stop the Lisbon plane. Rick shoots him first.
You are correct in that the PPK was generally issued only to officers and high-ranking party officials.

Any NESer could have polished your feed ramps for free.

Video of the last NES Ramp Polishing Get-Together:

(Video starts after things admittedly got a little out of hand...)

Back
Top Bottom