• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This ever happen to you?

The Anchor

NES Member
stopped at my favorite PVD brewery to grab some cans to go. it's in a shithole side of the city, but the place is awesome. the beer scene if full on covidians, woke BS at this place, as the owners are too. but its great beer, so i still shop there.

Anyways, out door seating is chock full Friday, as I leave with a 4 pack in each hand. I'm not more then 3 steps out the door, when i catch a 2-3 year old little boy running in a direction that is intersecting with mine at close range, i stop and lift the beer cans over his head as his parents watch him run directly into my carry pocket. his poor little noggin makes direct contact with the 365. just a thin sheet of jean cloth to lessen the sharp blow against his forehead. Parents give the obligatory sorry, from a distance, never putting down their beer, and laugh as he looks a bit dazed and confused. I ask him if he is ok, and he still looks confused as to what happened, and was holding his head. his parents never come over to console him, probably because he didn't cry. they said it isn't the first time he has run into something, but as I walked away I had a chuckle to myself, poor parents had no idea kid bumped his head on a gun....

All. The. Time.

My kids and I are rough with each other. Dead legs, pressure points, punches thrown in response to dumb jokes, etc. It's all in fun. My shots are 25%, and theirs are about 75%.

My daughter really didn't like a Dad joke and faked a punch to my head, I fell for it and left my left side open blocking the feint and she came in with a nice right to the ribs - not realizing I was wearing a shoulder rig and she only connected with my 1911.
My son got me to look up at the ceiling while I was sitting on the sofa, and yelled "Dead leg" and punched me right in the thigh - not realizing I was pocket carrying, and all he hit was my LC9.
My wife, not part of these games, decided to slap me on the ass one day, and hit my sap.

I find it funny. Even funnier is the look people give when they see me get hit and the "aggressor" holding their hand in pain.

stopped at my favorite PVD brewery to grab some cans to go. it's in a shithole side of the city, but the place is awesome. the beer scene if full on covidians, woke BS at this place, as the owners are too. but its great beer, so i still shop there.

Anyways, out door seating is chock full Friday, as I leave with a 4 pack in each hand. I'm not more then 3 steps out the door, when i catch a 2-3 year old little boy running in a direction that is intersecting with mine at close range, i stop and lift the beer cans over his head as his parents watch him run directly into my carry pocket. his poor little noggin makes direct contact with the 365. just a thin sheet of jean cloth to lessen the sharp blow against his forehead. Parents give the obligatory sorry, from a distance, never putting down their beer, and laugh as he looks a bit dazed and confused. I ask him if he is ok, and he still looks confused as to what happened, and was holding his head. his parents never come over to console him, probably because he didn't cry. they said it isn't the first time he has run into something, but as I walked away I had a chuckle to myself, poor parents had no idea kid bumped his head on a gun....
Good parenting, let that little turd learn the hard way. [laugh]

snipet from snopes:
"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

The earliest known cinematic use of this thought (whatever its precise expression) appears in the 1973 crime film The Friends of Eddie Coyle, which was in turn based on the 1970 novel of the same name by George V. Higgins. The book's title character is an aging small-time criminal and informant who works as a gun runner in Boston's Irish-American underworld, but it is another character, the young gun runner Jackie Brown, who ends up saying, "This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid." That line comes through almost intact in the film version, rendered by actor Steven Keats (playing Jackie Brown) as "This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid":

I thought it was John Wayne quote. Who knew!

My youngest son is a knucklehead. I watched him run headlong into a pillar at the store a couple days ago. I love him and he gets good grades in school, but I can’t help but wonder if he has some retard in him.

After he smashed headlong into the pillar, he fell down and immediately started laughing. I knew he was ok.

My recollection is that it's from a John Wayne movie, but it might be "The Shootist" which was made after "The Friends of Eddie Coyle." I don't recall if that line was in the novel from which the movie was made.

Higgins was a talented lawyer and author who died too young. He was a Milton resident and former Assistant US Attorney.

snipet from snopes:
"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

The earliest known cinematic use of this thought (whatever its precise expression) appears in the 1973 crime film The Friends of Eddie Coyle, which was in turn based on the 1970 novel of the same name by George V. Higgins. The book's title character is an aging small-time criminal and informant who works as a gun runner in Boston's Irish-American underworld, but it is another character, the young gun runner Jackie Brown, who ends up saying, "This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid." That line comes through almost intact in the film version, rendered by actor Steven Keats (playing Jackie Brown) as "This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid":

I thought it was John Wayne quote. Who knew!

Last edited:
Girl I was seeing at the time, her kid was about waist high to me. Ran up full speed to give me a hug one day and smacked his mouth straight into my pistol. "Headednorth, you have a hard hip." [laugh]

Holy crap, it was a Sig? I'm shocked it didn't fire off from the impact! Thosethings are known to just go off on their own you know. 😁

as his parents watch him run directly into my carry pocket. his poor little noggin makes direct contact with the 365. just a thin sheet of jean cloth to lessen the sharp blow against his forehead.
Did you throw a hip check at the little rug rat? God knows there have been times I've wanted to.

No, but I once had a girl on the T use the grip on my full size as an elbow rest for 7 stops before she got off...

I didn't know what to say

Sig? I can't believe this wasn't the outcome. [cheers]

nuclear explosion GIF

One of my granddaughters asked me if I worked as a stripper. For context, she was ~ 8yo at the time. I was disturbed enough by the question (why the EFF would an 8yo even know to ask the question?!) that I asked my daughter to investigate why she thought that. Turned out it was a verbal typo. She was asking if I was a SNIPER by trade, not a stripper. She thought that the CCW meant I was some kind of swat dude like in the movies. Still needed a correction in terms (and my occupation) but at least not years of therapy.

Back
Top Bottom