• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This cant be ok

Lank

NES Member
So I have reloading used brass and started to cast my own bullets. I am working with Lee single stage press, Lee dies, and Lee Casting Mold.

My first set of my cast bullets came out like these. For comparison I also included a Hornady bullet that seated in the neck just fine. It seems that the base of the cast bullets are larger.

I am using a Lee 9MM Luger Carbide Full Length Sizing Die. Do I need to adjust, the pic of the cast bullet and neck of cartridge suggest so? Thanks for any help, trying to learn as I go.

boolit 2.jpg boolit 2.jpg

Attachments

• boolit.jpg
    boolit.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 74
  • boolit3.jpg
    boolit3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 73
With cast, you need to bell the case mouth with an expanding die. Good luck

Great thank you. Just ordered

That cartridge is a little too fast bare lead.
Coat it, wax it, whatever, and run it through a sizer. They're either oblong or too big or both.
If you know what your muzzle slugged out at, it'll be one of these 2 or similar to something like this. No idea if this comapny ships to mass but its a reference-

If you have a manual handy, open that up and see what the neck is supposed to measure at, and then add .001 or .002 to neck dia depending on what your barrel needs. Something like .381 or .382 or .383 depending. Or the metric equivalent.

So the 2nd link goes right to the 1st link but theres a .357 sizer on that website somewhere.

That cartridge is a little too fast bare lead.
Coat it, wax it, whatever, and run it through a sizer. They're either oblong or too big or both.
If you know what your muzzle slugged out at, it'll be one of these 2 or similar to something like this. No idea if this comapny ships to mass but its a reference-

If you have a manual handy, open that up and see what the neck is supposed to measure at, and then add .001 or .002 to neck dia depending on what your barrel needs. Something like .381 or .382 or .383 depending. Or the metric equivalent.

So the 2nd link goes right to the 1st link but theres a .357 sizer on that website somewhere.

Midsouth are good folks. GTG for shipping.

@Lank , another option is the HiTek coating which will work with the Lee sizing dies. Lubrisizer nice but $$$. You do need to bell the case mouths as above mentioned. Good luck!

So I have reloading used brass and started to cast my own bullets. I am working with Lee single stage press, Lee dies, and Lee Casting Mold.

My first set of my cast bullets came out like these. For comparison I also included a Hornady bullet that seated in the neck just fine. It seems that the base of the cast bullets are larger.

I am using a Lee 9MM Luger Carbide Full Length Sizing Die. Do I need to adjust, the pic of the cast bullet and neck of cartridge suggest so? Thanks for any help, trying to learn as I go.

View attachment 405921View attachment 405921

Theres a lot of things going on here.
1. Your seating stem inside the seating die is the wrong profile for your bullet. The leading edge is hitting the ogive of the bullet vs the inner part of the stem evenly on the ogive.
#2 its very possible you have the seating die set up incorrectly. You maybe applying crimp before the bullet seats.
#3 you need to flare the case mouth

#4 start over ,
Reset your dies and if possible modify your seating stem. Hot glue works ok as does JB weld.
i would fix the other issues first.

Few questions
1. What bullet mold are you using and what size are the bullets dropping from the mold.
2. Did you slug your bore or use chamber casting alloy to cast your lead and or muzzle?
3. Are you reloading jacketed ammo with out issues?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom