• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This cannot be good…. Corrosion.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So I was moving some guns around in the safe and noticed some green on top of the crown on my SA 1903A3. This is a completed surprise to me as I only shoot CMP Greek Surplus and modern 30-06 ammo through it and both are non corrosive.

I usually keep my rifles dirty as I find they shoot better when going back to the range. This green turned out to be through the whole barrel, but not on the bolt face. I ran several patches to clean it out but now I need to hit the range to see what damage it caused. The lands and rifling were never strong to begin with when I bought it but it was always accurate. Hope that’s still the case.

Had to check my Garand as I use the same Greek ammo in it as well. Luckily no corrosion there.

7D56C389-9A80-424B-9219-4C6AD5C23791.jpeg

00D0A574-F6B9-4474-AA0F-8765306AF132.jpeg

Run some wet patches with Hoppes #9 thru there, let it sit horizontally over night, then run some patches thru in the morning...I bet you'll be surprised by how green with copper they are.

I shoot pretty much only HXP in .30-06, zero issues, apart from running low..!

The HXP is often copper plated steel jackets. Put a magnet to one.
The copper will foul your barrel more than copper jakets.
The green is oxidized copper. It can “rot” your bore through galvanic corrosion
When 2 different metals are in contact with each other . Although copper and steel are not terrible together. This chart shows which metals dont get along wrll AE621283-9618-430A-B0E0-FBD4AD13643A.png

You dont have to “clean” your bores but you should at least do a quick solvent patch a few dry patches and sime sort of rust preventive wet patch before putting them back up in the safe.

aliens-5ad65398c673350037c99876.jpg

OP: I don’t clean my rifles when I’m done shooting

Also Op: Why are my rifles filled with this green shite?

Cams: Hmmmmmm. Don’t know man. You obviously take great care of them. Aliens?

There’s a whole debate on shooting and cleaning after every outing. I’m on the side that it’s not needed after every time. Also this is the only rifle that has this problem. Why would one rifle out of many be the only one to have this happen too. I shot this last with a Garand using the same ammo. The green is only in the one rifle, which is kinda weird.

There’s a whole debate on shooting and cleaning after every outing. I’m on the side that it’s not needed after every time. Also this is the only rifle that has this problem. Why would one rifle out of many be the only one to have this happen too. I shot this last with a Garand using the same ammo. The green is only in the one rifle, which is kinda weird.

I clean like you do. Most of the time I run a bore snake through to get anything heavy out, wipe it down and back in the safe it goes. More gun barrels are ruined by over cleaning hat being shot out. Guns I’m out in the field with get the same treatment and a good detail strip at the end of the season.

I would guess that the bore in the 1903A3 is rougher than the bore in the Garand. Rougher bores tend to collect more copper fouling.

Bob

Just some morning humor to go with my coffee. I’m from the old school ways of shoot it, clean it, wipe it all down and oil it, every single time so it becomes the standard to maintain.

It happens, Usually when you least expect it. I really only shot my PS 90 a couple times.. Didn’t think much of putting it away dirty when I came back to it after who knows how long it had the same thing going on I just cleaned it out and put it back.

Barrels rust red. If it's green it's either some alien steel or as everyone said, copper. Nothing to worry about. My buffalo bore rounds aren't nickel plated, just straight up brass and parts of it turned green after long term storage.

Copper fouling, it can be a bitch to get out. Repetitive cleaning/soaking with copper-specific solvent/cleaner.

for what ever reason oxygen played more with the 1903a3? Maybe the 03 muzzle gets a tad hotter than the M1 ? condensation more on the 03 ?

well maybe its been a lot longer than you think since you cleaned it?

Looks like copper fouling that is corroding not the barrel to me.
Thank God.

I think most gun shops sell wet patches to touch that up.

B72lh3RCEAAdZB2.jpg

Barrels rust red. If it's green it's either some alien steel or as everyone said, copper.
It's only a problem if it's illegal alien steel.

Maybe try running a patch through the bores with Ballistol when you are done shooting for the day before storage if not dedicating time for a full cleaning?
Ballistol will clean that right up.

repo13.gif

Oiling the bore will keep oxygen from reacting with the copper and causing galvanic action with the steel. I'm also not so sure Greek surplus ammo isn't corrosive, that's why I recommended Ballistol as a one patch through the bore insurance policy in between range trips.

I am having fun connecting the dots. I was wondering why the OP asked about cleaning guns, then this thread started.

There was also that civilian vs military thread, probably related to ammo, which ties into this thread and the cleaning thread.

OP, your threads finally make sense to me.

So I was moving some guns around in the safe and noticed some green on top of the crown on my SA 1903A3. This is a completed surprise to me as I only shoot CMP Greek Surplus and modern 30-06 ammo through it and both are non corrosive.

I usually keep my rifles dirty as I find they shoot better when going back to the range. This green turned out to be through the whole barrel, but not on the bolt face. I ran several patches to clean it out but now I need to hit the range to see what damage it caused. The lands and rifling were never strong to begin with when I bought it but it was always accurate. Hope that’s still the case.

Had to check my Garand as I use the same Greek ammo in it as well. Luckily no corrosion there.

View attachment 581138

View attachment 581139
Not corrosion. Just oxidizing copper. For whatever reason my 1903A3 does this too. I think it’s because it has the roughest (frosted) bore of my milsurps - well aside from the Mosin. The K31 and Garand does it too

I would suggest at least running an oiled bore snake through it after the range. That’s all I ever do.
I should probably mention that in your other thread 😂

Back
Top Bottom