Thinning the herd before you pass?

It’s a good thought endeavor. My wife and I discussed this a few times and we both realize that we need to do some better planning with our will, that we haven’t created yet.

My plan is to start ramping down my collection after I retire to help with retirement costs. Nobody in my family are into guns so I’m going to leave what is left of my collection to GOAL with some being given to my gun club.

I’d hate to think anyone would destroy my guns.
How does the club take possession of the guns?

I'm not sure that any of my 3 kids will want any of them, so I guess they'll be sold. There are a couple in various places that may never be found, however, and the secrets will be buried with me!

Not sure how that would work but I would think you’d have to let the BOD know in advance so they can get them.
Club would need a dealers license to take them in. As far as I know, clubs cannot have get a LTC for "the club"

Or the Club President or someone in a position of authority would have to take them in his personal name.

In our club rules there are no "club guns" allowed.........even though we need them for certain kids functions like youth pheasant, they are privately owned and stored.

I would leave written instructions, together with a list and a realistic average price for each gun and min price they should accept.
This has crossed my mind. Start a spreadsheet with this info and give it to my son.

That way if he wants/needs to sell he knows rough valuations, and would not be fully overwhelmed should I take an earlier exit than I planned.

It would simply read, keep what you want, sell the rest, values below as follows.

This has crossed my mind. Start a spreadsheet with this info and give it to my son.

That way if he wants/needs to sell he knows rough valuations, and would not be fully overwhelmed should I take and early exit.

It would simply read, keep what you want, sell the rest, values below as follows.

Leave a copy in the safe as well.

Short, to the point instructions on how the law works and how they can sell them, maybe leave the phone number of someone you trust can answer questions for them.

Could also leave instructions on how to use Gun Broker or some other site to check prices.

The only reason I recommend written instructions is because this stuff is hard to keep track of. Laws can be confusing for those that know them, imagine trying to navigate the world right after someone dies and the family has 100 things to do and worry about. They won't remember that conversation you had 10 years ago.

Is there a way to word a will so that any beneficiary that suggests giving my guns to the cops is immediately cut from the will altogether?
Ask the lawyer.

I am sure you can put anything in writing. How does anyone confirm what people do with the possessions after, I am not sure.

Every single one of us with homes, married with children or not should have at a minimum a will. What is happening to your guns before taking care of our many other adult responsibilities is stupid.

A will can be amended at will, whenever you want for changing conditions. They are cheaper than you think for most everyone.

You greatly underestimate my spite, which will expand well beyond my lifetime.

Any beneficiary that suggests giving my gun collection to the po-po won’t get a penny if I can manage it from the grave.
If you know your kids or whoever is getting the guns, then you know what they will do.

If you don't trust them, don't leave them the guns.

We don’t have kids so a few go to specific people. After that they go to LTC holders in the family as the executor sees fit. Ammo is divided up by caliber and goes with the guns

Is there a way to word a will so that any beneficiary that suggests giving my guns to the cops is immediately cut from the will altogether?

Absolutely, It only takes one sentence to specifically eliminate a person or party from your inheritance. It’s your stuff you make the rules.

Bob

What are the NES collectors out there planning to do?

* collect and don't think about the future
* thin the herd to bare minimum
* thin the herd and keep only collectibles
* donate to a 2A organization
The first step is to try to slow down... to slowly-but-surely get out of that "must have" collector mindset. 🤔

Ironically, I think Maura & Andrea and the MA legislature are planning to help us out in that regard. :mad:

I find the biggest problem is figuring out when I am going to croak. If I knew that, planning would be mucho easier. :)

Either way, I am not a fan of massive thinning. Just a little off the top is fine with me. Slow and easy. [dance]

The good wife is smart, licensed and has several licensed relatives that are sure to help her out when the time comes. [thumbsup]

"People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

This is a quote I got from an episode of M*A*S*H.

Later I found out it was a loose translation of a quote from Ben Franklin which goes something like this....

"If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail."

It is unfortunate that the passing of the individual was unexpected.

As others have mentioned already, that is why you should set up a will or a trust to ensure your firearms go to a Pro 2A individual(s) or entity.

I already know my daughters want all my stuff and my estate is already planned...

Just need to maintain the will / trust and my daughters are all set.

If they have a change of heart about the guns I will find out early and make the necessary adjustments.

As i said earlier, I have a gun trust that's referenced in my will. If you don't want the state to get involved and make decisisions - then do the paperwork to keep them out of it as much as possible.

My will will go to probate, that's fine, it was professionally written and it'll hold up. My gun trust ensures that my guns DON'T go to probate - because I don't own them, the trust does.

Every single one of us with homes, married with children or not should have at a minimum a will. What is happening to your guns before taking care of our many other adult responsibilities is stupid.

A will can be amended at will, whenever you want for changing conditions. They are cheaper than you think for most everyone.

Will, living will, power of attorney, gun trust.

Set it all up while you have time to figure it out.

Will, living will, power of attorney, gun trust.

Set it all up while you have time to figure it out.
MA does not allow Living wills. They only provide Health Care Proxy. Which is bad because they can lose their will to carry out your wishes.

My employer has MetLife legal services, so I signed up for 1 year and did everything in that 1 year. I don’t have a particularly complex situation so it was pretty easy

Luckily my son is a 2A fan. He's not old enough yet to take over the handguns, but as soon as he turned 15, he got his FID.

Everything goes to him eventually. If something happens before he's 21, then my trust has someone I trust as the executor.

I do need to thin the herd though. I have several guns that I never liked and they just take up valuable space. Maybe that will be this spring project. Go through everything with my son and see what he would want to keep and what to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom