• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking revolver, please help

The only wheel gun I ever really wanted:
smith-wesson-mp-r8.jpg

The suggestion of a 27 is good but pricey the 28 is the same bank vault tough but not as nice a finish and going for half the price. There are a lot of older S&W out there that are great values.
agreed.
Basically any S&W in good working condition and you're going to enjoy it. Some are more versatile that others but they all rock.
I brought 4 S&Ws to the range tonight and they are all awesome. They come with me almost every range trip and see more use that anything else i own.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag for the field.

I want to get that S&W Scandium Airweight .357 for the sheer masochism.

I'd like a ruger vaquero SA with interchangeable 45LC and 45ACP cylinders but can't buy one or transfer one in mAss?

Called ruger and they won't fit/sell an ACP cylinder for the 45LC MA vaquero

Last edited:
Find a Dan Wesson 15-2 or 715 then change barrels and grips to your heart's content... 2.5" for carry up to 15" for those longer shots. [smile]

Big fan of this advice. I have a well broken in 15-2, with a couple grips and barrels. With the 8" VH barrel, it tames hot loads brilliantly, and is disgustingly easy to shoot well. With a 4" barrel, it's quite practical to carry.

I also want to throw in a +1 for the 360PD, although I would recommend trying it before you buy.

So far it looks like it's trending towards a .357 with a barrel in the 4"-6" range. Sounds about right....

Though I half expected the first dozen pages to be about calibers I've never heard of and why everyone should carry a 500 Smith and Wesson....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
I have a Colt Trooper MKIII with a 4" barrel and it is a fun gun to shoot. It might be a little heavier than the others but a lot of these were carried by LEO's.
They can be had fairly reasonably and they are out there. Shoots both 357 and 38

Find a Dan Wesson 15-2 or 715 then change barrels and grips to your heart's content... 2.5" for carry up to 15" for those longer shots. [smile]

Set your Wayback machine to 1980 and go to Monson MA and by a 3 barrel .357 Pistol Pack or just go to Gunbroker and be prepared to pay $2500 for the same today.

Set your Wayback machine to 1980 and go to Monson MA and by a 3 barrel .357 Pistol Pack or just go to Gunbroker and be prepared to pay $2500 for the same today.

Or buy a frame and any combo of any barrel lengths and shroud types to suit your whims. I already have a 744 with 2 barrels, a 15-2 with 3 barrels and an assortment of shrouds as well as a 715 with two barrels.

You can buy new barrels and shrouds right from CZ or EWK Arms who makes his own very high quality sets.

I like my Dans.

A GP100 3" is great for carry and super fun to shoot I love my S&W 19 as well. I don't think you'd be unhappy with any S&W or Ruger revolver.

Going for a .357 that can also shoot .38 is your best bet.
Good advice on a first revolver. Be sure to clean the chambers after shooting .38s. There is a buildup of crud that will prevent .357s from chambering. I wish I still had my old Dan Wesson .357. Several Smith revolvers have taken its place, though.

I have the same gun. I have not left the house in 2 years without it. Sucks up a bit more recoil than the j frame smiths in 357 as it is a tad larger and heavier. It is fun to shoot, simple to use, looks good, and solid! Takes some practice to get used to the double action trigger but that is part of the fun! You mentioned that you have heard 357 mag loses its advantage over 38 spec out of a 2 inch barrel.........I've read both sides of that argument. Put it this way..........a 158 grain 38 special goes through my sp101 like butter.......a 158 grain 357 magnum barks like a cannon and stings my hand with the snappy recoil. I find it hard to believe all that extra recoil is not pushing that projo out much faster given the same weight bullet.
there are some specific loads for snub nose 357 guns.

Good advice on a first revolver. Be sure to clean the chambers after shooting .38s. There is a buildup of crud that will prevent .357s from chambering. I wish I still had my old Dan Wesson .357. Several Smith revolvers have taken its place, though.

depending on the ammo you can go a while. i'm not saying don't clean your guns at all but don't worry about it being so bad after 100 or 200 rounds that you can't chamber a 357 when in need.
i'm probably at 500 or 600 38 specials through my 686 right now and when i slip 357s in there they drop in just as easy as being freshly cleaned.

I have gone much longer and i can say it was built up and a little nasty to clean. heed the advice above and give a cleaning before it gets too far.

Ruger SP 101 in .22 with the 4 inch barrel.

Sexy gun

A great way to spend hours at the range.

Throw in some snap caps and dry fire it 1000 times and its even better.

Somewhat on topic: what are the hottest commercially available .357 Magnum loads and where can I get them? I shot a few loaded by my buddy a few years ago and it was F-U-N!

Somewhat on topic: what are the hottest commercially available .357 Magnum loads and where can I get them? I shot a few loaded by my buddy a few years ago and it was F-U-N!
i think somebody posted it earlier, nut up and get a 500 [laugh]

i think somebody posted it earlier, nut up and get a 500 [laugh]
a) Ever since I was a kid I loved the .357 Magnum. No idea why but that's why my first gun was my GP100.
b) I'm taking a hiatus from buying guns. Long story.
c) Everyone I've talked to that bought a 500, sold it after a dozen (not literally) rounds at a huge loss. No thanks. Besides, how much is 500 ammo these days??
d) I'd love to try the larger revolver calibers: .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .500 S&W, etc. In that order. (hint hint, nudge nudge... anyone? [wink])

Back
Top Bottom