• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

thinking on new gun

hi all! sat here thinking on getting a new gun , ive been thinking on a 22-250 or .243 , i got loads of deer and fox on my ground's so .243 would be good as one gun for the both , but only fox with the 22-250 ! think i have to go on a dmq course before they would let me have a .243 ? any help would be great.

happy hunting

cz

think i have to go on a dmq course before they would let me have a .243 ? any help would be great.
Most of the folks here are from the Northeast of the colonies, old chap. So I'm afraid we're unlikely to be able to help you with your legal formalities in any way other than moral support from across the pond.

IIRC, the deer that you have a roe deer, whereas ours are whitetail. I don't know the relative size of yours. Here, a typical doe might be 100 lbs. A very large buck might be 200 lbs. Here in the colonies, .243 would be considered a bit small for our deer. A typical gun here would be .30-06, which, IMNSHO, is overkill.

.243 is more of a barrel burner, they generally need to be re-barreled sooner than the 22-250. They're both good rounds but for target purposes I'd go with the 22-250. For Deer they're both effective at short and medium range.

Kurtz,
The UK and many states over here have minimum power requirements for taking large game.
From the website that I posted earlier:
The minimum Ballistic requirements for England and Wales are different to those in Scotland. South of the border a rifle of greater than .240” firing a bullet which produces over 1700ft/ lbs of energy at the muzzle is the minimum. Effectively the .243Win caliber using a bullet heavier than 80grains. In Scotland it depends on which type of deer you shoot. For Roe only, a bullet over 50grains, a muzzle velocity over 2450ft/sec and a muzzle energy over 1000ft/lbs are required. For any deer, a bullet over 100grains, with a muzzle velocity over 2450 ft/sec, with a muzzle energy over 1750ft/lbs are the minimum requirements. This means that while the .22 centre fires are OK for Roe, the .243Win is again the smallest caliber for any deer.

Back
Top Bottom