• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of selling off most of my collection

Just a pitch here for saving the spoils of victory. It took many long hours, much effort, assets, research and devotion to gather such a varied and special assortment of specimens.

Will a decision to liquidate turn to regrets, later on? The investment is not just money. It's part of who we are. Rest well on such a decision, friend.

Just a pitch here for saving the spoils of victory. It took many long hours, much effort, assets, research and devotion to gather such a varied and special assortment of specimens.

Will a decision to liquidate turn to regrets, later on? The investment is not just money. It's part of who we are. Rest well on such a decision, friend.

As usual Martin08 you have words of wisdom. The more I look at them the more I am torn. I looked at all of my Finns, from 91 captures to m27, 28, 39 etc. and each one has a story. How and where I found it. How much I paid, when I pulled the trigger for the first time and the smile that came after when i actually hit paper, and I don't mean the outer edge. Every-time i look at your recent purchase I remember when I bought my Westinghouse. All matching and was never sent overseas. The walnut stock and all its glory.
Heck I could wake up tomorrow and say F it. I am keeping them all and just bought a .......well you fill in the blanks.
To all my fellow collectors, thank you for a great year of sharing pictures of your finds, questions about what in the heck does this marking mean and most of all our friendship. Happy New Year folks.
Fred

Fred. If you really are thinking of selling some of your collection, I am sure you have thought it through. I have nothing special I can think of right now that I am looking for (too many guns, too little money), but I do tend to like U.S. milsurps. I would feel privileged to simply have a chance to look over your collection.

Whatever your decision, I wish you and yours a happy, healthy New Year, and hope to see you at a shoot in the near future.

Hey Fred:

I also wish you would re-consider and hang onto everything.

However...

If (after you complete the soul-searching process) you decide to sell off all or a few of your babies - how about a members-only, invitation-only auction? That would be great fun, and you would most likely maximize your return for use in "other purchases."

Just a thought...

Which country, and which year

Russian.....40's. Not looking for a collector peice, just your run of the mill M44 with a good bore and some visual appeal.

However, I don't in any may wish to pressure you into selling off any of your collection at all.

Fred I kinda feel your "torn-ness" about this. I'm sort of in the same boat, thinking of some guns I could sell off to fund my winter project (restoring my mustang). I don't really want to get rid of any of them but it would be a huge help in buying new parts for the car to even just sell a few of them. Then there's also the fact that someone has a gun for sale that I really want, that I would consider giving up a testicle for. I would trade away 5 guns for this one if it were a fair trade. Our interests float to different things at times. There are two handguns in particular that I've sold in the past, only to decide I really liked them so I tracked down the exact same model and purchased again, years later. You never know what your interests are going to be focused on a year from now, half a year, hell, tomorrow I could decide that 1911's suck ass and I never want to shoot another one in my life! Hahahaaaaaa. WTF am I talking about.

Every once in a while I'll look in the vault and imagine what it'd look like with no Mausers, Mosins, Enfields, etc. and instead either more AKs or SKSs, or some modern stuff that I could afford if I sold off a few rarer milsurps.

I think when you have a sizeable collection and don't shoot a lot of it, many collectors get this feeling.

Fred, I hope health isn't the reason, my suggestion, just raffle a few and use the proceeds to build a bigger vault! Then back to work filling it !
Don't sell the Lee Enfields though, I still need to borrow them!

Last edited:
Id be interested in checking out what you have if you do decide to go through with it. Interested in just about everything but mainly Mausers, SKS's, and Mosins

You are a good fella for letting NES members have first crack at them.

I'd like to collect all of the iconic American firearms and someday pass them to my Son. M1, 1903, Colt SAA etc.

Fred I kinda feel your "torn-ness" about this. I'm sort of in the same boat, thinking of some guns I could sell off to fund my winter project (restoring my mustang). I don't really want to get rid of any of them but it would be a huge help in buying new parts for the car to even just sell a few of them. Then there's also the fact that someone has a gun for sale that I really want, that I would consider giving up a testicle for. I would trade away 5 guns for this one if it were a fair trade. Our interests float to different things at times. There are two handguns in particular that I've sold in the past, only to decide I really liked them so I tracked down the exact same model and purchased again, years later. You never know what your interests are going to be focused on a year from now, half a year, hell, tomorrow I could decide that 1911's suck ass and I never want to shoot another one in my life! Hahahaaaaaa. WTF am I talking about.

What year mustang, my son has a mess of 1987 parts.

One sold today. Well I sold one of my Mosin 91/30 today. It was a rifle that I bought in 1992 and my neighbor has had his eye on it for a while now. He paid me more than what I was asking. He knew what it meant to own it. A Czech marked 91/30 are a bit rare now.

Adam, as to the 1903, I am keeping them. I consider them a more modern rifle compared to my early 1900 rifles. Sorry buddy. Plus what in the heck do you want a bolt action gun for. You have twin 50's.

As to having folks look over my collection sorry folks, I really don't want any bad results . Not from NES folks but someone over hears where you just saw a rather large collection and the next thing I know I have the local P.D. answering a call to my gun room alarm[shocked]

Fred, I hope health isn't the reason, my suggestion, just raffle a few and use the proceeds to build a bigger vault! Then back to work filling it !
Don't sell the Lee Enfields though, I still need to borrow them!

Don't worry they are all ready you just need to give me the call. As to building a bigger fault, I have a gun room complete with steel door, and a separate alarm system than the rest of the house. I don't take any chances.

Purging and consolidating from time to time are healthy, particularly if things have been accumulating for very long periods of time. Just don't do anything you think you'll later regret.

you can always stop collecting guns for now and use that money for collecting something else. Then when you're tired of that, go back to the guns that you STILL have.You'll never get tired of the guns even though you need a break from collecting.

I sorta went thru that this past 2 years as I haven't bought anything new ( I was actually getting up to 2-3 a month for several years.), actually sold a few and was considering 2 as Christmas gifts for my sons. But I just broke that void with 2 new ones this past week.

It doesn't cost anything to keep them (contrarily, they grow in value).

I've never sold a gun and was happy I did. Your results will probably be the same.

you can always stop collecting guns for now and use that money for collecting something else. Then when you're tired of that, go back to the guns that you STILL have.You'll never get tired of the guns even though you need a break from collecting.

I sorta went thru that this past 2 years as I haven't bought anything new ( I was actually getting up to 2-3 a month for several years.), actually sold a few and was considering 2 as Christmas gifts for my sons. But I just broke that void with 2 new ones this past week.

It doesn't cost anything to keep them (contrarily, they grow in value).

I've never sold a gun and was happy I did. Your results will probably be the same.

Very good point, they are paid for, I can still buy new stuff, or not buy at all. The more I look at them I say to myself, well I wont sell this one because it cant be found anymore, or this one is a tack driver...ahh heck...forget it..I'm keeping them all. My neighbor is a great guy and he never(due to his wife) gets out to shoot. He is making a case for the Mosin I sold him. The way he treats it you would think it was a new born.
Sorry to all of you who had visions of owning a Mosin that has Waffen markings!!!!! Between the PMs and emails from you all I was starting to feel like I was selling off my kids....can I do that....never mind[laugh]

Last edited:
Phew. Cooler heads prevail. I was beginning to wonder if I was just a ticking time bomb ready to blow out the whole enchilada in a fire sale. But, I see now it's like a little cramp from gas. It'll pass and all will be well with the world again... except a funny smell.

You just didn't feel like doing the bi-annual oiling and wipe down, did you Fred?

Boris this is the patch I have for you

Fred thank you! It's a good thing I haven't framed the last one yet, now I have an awesome display piece.

I'm glad to see that you won't sell your "kids". IMHO, it would be awesome to get more information on your collection and Mosins in general, markings, meanings etc. you should write a book. So do you give tours? I really want to see the Waffen marked Mosin and some history behind it.

Back
Top Bottom