• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of reloading

is it possible to reload steel? do people here do it?
i don't plan on reloading right now, but a majority of the 223 ammo i have is steel cased and i'd try to save what i could for someone who reloads, just unsure if people do it.

is it possible to reload steel? do people here do it?
i don't plan on reloading right now, but a majority of the 223 ammo i have is steel cased and i'd try to save what i could for someone who reloads, just unsure if people do it.

Yes. I reload steel .223 Wolf and Tula. No change to the procedure other than making sure you don't tumble it too long and remove the coating.

You won't get as many uses as brass. Usually 4-7 reloads.

ETA: Don't let it get rusty. Store it in a plastic baggy or bin with a desiccant pack. If you're using Lanolin like I am, spray it immediately after taking it out of the tumbler and then store it even if you're not going to continue processing it. The lanolin isn't going anywhere and will prevent rust.

Last edited:
Thanks I was thinking of saving what I do shoot for someone on here who reloads. It'll do me no good.

I'll let you know when I start shooting. Finished my AR build a couple days ago but don't think I'll be able to shoot for a couple weeks.

I'll let you know when I start shooting. Finished my AR build a couple days ago but don't think I'll be able to shoot for a couple weeks.

What?!?

I go screaming to the range like a circus idiot as soon as I finish one. The Loctite isn't even dry by the time I'm shooting it.

If it's lack of ammo or a place to shoot that's keeping you from trying it out, PM me. You can meet me at my club and you can use some of my ammo.

What?!?

I go screaming to the range like a circus idiot as soon as I finish one. The Loctite isn't even dry by the time I'm shooting it.

If it's lack of ammo or a place to shoot that's keeping you from trying it out, PM me. You can meet me at my club and you can use some of my ammo.

[rofl]

Lack of a club, that allows rifles.
Trust me I'm the same way, if I could have been out there I would have been.

I've never actually shot an AR before, this will be my first time. I also have to sight it in, no idea how the eff to do that.
If you're really up for the task of taking a newb to teh range I'm for it. Lou at BEC has my upper pinning my comp on but I should have it back on Saturday, so Sunday would be the first time I could shoot.

What?!?

repped.

years ago i got my first gun, a 92FS. said the same kind of thing--EC stepped up and was like "well, come shoot here, idiot!" and while i was there let me shoot his 1911 and S&W .500.

had a great time, EC is a chill dude. go shoot with him.

i'll share the love, too. i am going to the range saturday so if you want to go, you can come with me.

Lack of a club, that allows rifles.
Trust me I'm the same way, if I could have been out there I would have been.

I've never actually shot an AR before, this will be my first time. I also have to sight it in, no idea how the eff to do that.
If you're really up for the task of taking a newb to teh range I'm for it. Lou at BEC has my upper pinning my comp on but I should have it back on Saturday, so Sunday would be the first time I could shoot.

Let's go later in the afternoon on Sunday. If not then, I can do it Monday after work. PM me.

I think I would start reloading again if I had a space to do it in. While I was in the military I would just do it in my garage or in my basement. But alas I moved into a house without a garage or a basement. I think I need to move...

Back
Top Bottom