• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

thinking of my first 1911 build

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/barrel.html

Travelling a lot but maybe after Thanksgiving I could spend a day with you, in the meantime read the above link if you want to give it a go. Buy a cheap Sarco barrel in case you mess up. Just remember you can always remove material but adding it back is another matter. You seem to have the skills so my guess is you catch on quick...

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/barrel.html

Travelling a lot but maybe after Thanksgiving I could spend a day with you, in the meantime read the above link if you want to give it a go. Buy a cheap Sarco barrel in case you mess up. Just remember you can always remove material but adding it back is another matter. You seem to have the skills so my guess is you catch on quick...

Not a option for me. Para ramped barrel lol
The cheapest I can find is a kart gunsmith barrel . I relized I don't know what I'm doing and stopped . I probably need to buy another . If you know of a drop in barrel for my para . I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Wilson makes a nice ramped barrel but its not really a drop in although I find they are pretty easy to fit compared to others.. Also Bar-Sto makes a semi fit barrel that I have heard are easy to fit but they can be pricey....

This thread certainly hits close to home. I think building a 1911 has to be a labor of love... Case in point: I have built several ARs, a bolt gun, tricked out Glocks etc. I decided in May that I wanted to build a 1911. I took advantage of Palmetto State Armory's 1911 frame and slide (I guess the bastard child leftovers from a failed PSA initiative). The price was right, the fit/finish; excellent.

I also took advantage of their stainless barrel with link installed. I have read in most places that with a budget 1911 (as others have pointed out in this thread) normally utilizes many cheap, out-of-spec parts requiring a ton of fitting and frustration. In an effort to curtail this, I loaded up my Brownells shopping cart with everything I would need to finish the build using either Ed Brown or Wilson Combat parts (I am a huge Wilson fan and one of my 1911s is Wilson's Classic). What did my total come to? $596.00. Granted, I went with VZ grips and Trijicon HD sights, but damn! I have not checked out my shopping cart yet..Im going to let it simmer for a bit. The real kicker? Add to the cost of parts the price of the slide/frame/barrel (which I got a great deal on) plus cerekoting the slide/frame ($120) and price of transfer ($30) and it comes to right around $1200. For $200 more, I couldve bought a brand new TRP....[puke]Not sure if I am going to pull chocks on this build and move on.... Lesson: Build your own (first) 1911 if you love building and are going to go full budget and deal with out of spec, mil-surplus parts. If you go the premium route, it will cost you!!
I just built up my shopping cart. with every part I need except grips and the slide and frame, my cart came out to right under $650. this includes ed brown, Caspian, and Wilson parts. keep in mind I went with stainless steel on every part that offered it so its slighty more money on some parts. and yes this includes night sights made by heine and also a match grade barrel by Caspian. like I said, all that wasn't included was the grips and the slide and frame. I know the slide and frame can be pricey so I will be looking around for that

Wilson makes a nice ramped barrel but its not really a drop in although I find they are pretty easy to fit compared to others.. Also Bar-Sto makes a semi fit barrel that I have heard are easy to fit but they can be pricey....

Barsto makes an excellent "semi fit" barrel. Usually, all you have to do is fit the barrel hood. Barsto barrels are pricey ($220 to $240) but they are well worth the $. Great customer support.

Barsto makes an excellent "semi fit" barrel. Usually, all you have to do is fit the barrel hood. Barsto barrels are pricey ($220 to $240) but they are well worth the $. Great customer support.

Wilson uses a different ramp then para .

I'll look at the bar-sto
The kart I had todo the hood and the take down pin area ugh .....

Wilson uses a different ramp then para
It's not so much the ramp, but the backside of the ramp that touched the frame. "Wilson style" is cut straight across; "Clark sytle" is a semi-circle. And, within various brands of "Wilson/Clark" configurations, you can get slightly different dimensions.

It's not so much the ramp, but the backside of the ramp that touched the frame. "Wilson style" is cut straight across; "Clark sytle" is a semi-circle. And, within various brands of "Wilson/Clark" configurations, you can get slightly different dimensions.

I thought one was wider. Thanks for the info tho.
I wish I could make it in ramped lol .

Wilson uses a different ramp then para .

I'll look at the bar-sto
The kart I had todo the hood and the take down pin area ugh .....

One thing to be aware of with Bar-Sto ramped barrels is that their Wilson/Nowlin cut has much more of a radius than other manufacturers. I used one of their .40SW bull barrels for the STI 2011 USPSA Limited gun I've been building and it caused me some grief, but mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing. Well now I have a bit of an idea what I'm doing but I didn't when I started the project.

A good source for how-to's on 1911 builds is Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 Shop Manuals. Vol 1 is the complete teardown, inspection and rebuild book, Volume 2 gets into modifications. Not cheap, and not updated with the latest and greatest parts available, but very detailed. I wouldn't have convinced myself I could build a 1911 without those books.

Of course, I haven't finished it yet, so the jury's still out on whether it was a good idea. 10mm Commander on a Remsport frame.

What happened to Remport. He was very active on here. I bought to bcg's off of him a few years ago. Seemed like a good dude. Awesome shop

A good source for how-to's on 1911 builds is Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 Shop Manuals. Vol 1 is the complete teardown, inspection and rebuild book, Volume 2 gets into modifications. Not cheap, and not updated with the latest and greatest parts available, but very detailed. I wouldn't have convinced myself I could build a 1911 without those books.

Of course, I haven't finished it yet, so the jury's still out on whether it was a good idea. 10mm Commander on a Remsport frame.
You can find the books for free online now.

What happened to Remport. He was very active on here. I bought to bcg's off of him a few years ago. Seemed like a good dude. Awesome shop

I belive his health wasn't so great . But if I understand right a company teamed up with him. I forget the name of the company right now.

Just FYI -- I just tried to buy a stripped 1911 frame from PSA and PSA wouldn't ship it to MA because it's "not on the roster". *eyeroll*

Back
Top Bottom