• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of joining Country Pond Fish and Game

Recently, I determined it was time to stop procrastinating and join a club. I was basically set on joining Haverhill Rod and Gun since it is close but was recently told that some ethics were in question there and that I should look into CPF&G. Well, I'm glad I did because it looks like an excellent facility with some pretty cool perks.

Ideally, I want to feel like I belong to an actual club and actually want to help better it. I'm not looking for a "make you check payable to...see ya never" environment.

All that being said, can anyone provide me with some feedback on CPF&G. I will need a sponsor and wondering what my best bet would be (I only know a few people who are less than a year strong there).

I'm also curious to know what has been going on at Haverhill Rod and Gun if anyone would care to elaborate. I wasnt given much info, just that a lot of members left and there has been some dust being stirred up bureaucratically.

Thanks all!

It's a great club. I haven't been a member for the two years required to sponsor someone, but there are always good things going on. The only things they take overly serious are safety and fun. The only downside is the rifle range is only 100 yards, but that is a constraint that can't be overcome. There is a membership cap that they are very close to reaching, so don't wait too long because there will be a waiting list soon. Your best bet is to attend one of the many events open to the public and just ask a member to sponsor you. The Pin Shoots are a blast and open to the public. There is an indoor shoot this Thursday evening and an outdoor shoot this Saturday morning. Both are open to the public.

It's a great club. I haven't been a member for the two years required to sponsor someone, but there are always good things going on. The only things they take overly serious are safety and fun. The only downside is the rifle range is only 100 yards, but that is a constraint that can't be overcome. There is a membership cap that they are very close to reaching, so don't wait too long because there will be a waiting list soon. Your best bet is to attend one of the many events open to the public and just ask a member to sponsor you. The Pin Shoots are a blast and open to the public. There is an indoor shoot this Thursday evening and an outdoor shoot this Saturday morning. Both are open to the public.

Yeah, I was kind of bummed about the range size being 100 yards max...

I am also told that you'll probably end up waiting to shoot outdoors most the time.

Nice club. I have shot at both the indoor and outdoor ranges. Helpful staff.

My wife and I committed to join after living in the area for 17 years just as they changed the rules, which basically means we're not getting in. The two-plus year member in good standing who must sponsor you is completely liable for you for a year. There is no way you could cozy up to a stranger well enough that he/she would feel comfortable sponsoring you, unfortunately. So it is a de facto ban on new members barring members' lifelong friends.

I was told that the rule change resulted from the club being inundated by riffraff from the Haverhill club that closed. Too bad no exceptions are made for longtime Newton and/or Kingston residents.

Last edited:
Nice club. I have shot at both the indoor and outdoor ranges. Helpful staff.

My wife and I committed to join after living in the area for 17 years just as they changed to rules, which basically means we're not getting in. The two-plus year member in good standing who must sponsor you is completely liable for you for a year. There is no way you could cozy up to a stranger well enough that he/she would feel comfortable sponsoring you, unfortunately. So it is a de facto ban on new members barring members' lifelong friends.

I was told that the rule change resulted from the club being inundated by riffraff from the Haverhill club that closed. Too bad no exceptions are made for longtime Newton and/or Kingston residents.

That really sucks... but with the 24/7 indoor, I can see why they wouldnt want just anyone playing ball.

I know a fair amount of people at HRGC. I know I can get in there but I want to wait a while amd explore more options.

Thanms for your help bud!

I live within earshot of it and going on year 3 as a member... the sponsorship thing is new as they instituted a 1000 member cap and are bumping up against it.

Good club with a lot of events, I hadn't gone for the longest time because it always seemed busy... but now that I have different working hours I can go during the day and it's great as I have the place to myself.

Likely sponsoring a member here already, but as someone said... have a chat with a director at one of the public events.. can't hurt.

I live within earshot of it and going on year 3 as a member... the sponsorship thing is new as they instituted a 1000 member cap and are bumping up against it.

Good club with a lot of events, I hadn't gone for the longest time because it always seemed busy... but now that I have different working hours I can go during the day and it's great as I have the place to myself.

Likely sponsoring a member here already, but as someone said... have a chat with a director at one of the public events.. can't hurt.
Thanks. I will make it a point to do that.

I have gone to their public events and would like to go to a few more, but I don't have high hopes that doing so would get the ball rolling on membership. I know someone who has been a member for 18 mos, and even if he had been there over two years, I'd feel uncomfortable asking him to stick his neck out for a sponsorship. Frankly, with one's membership riding on it, one would have to be out of one's mind to sponsor someone one did not know extremely well.

Although I am very interested in participating in club activities and would be willing to volunteer my time to help the club, were I a member, I work long hours at a job in MA and would have difficulty incorporating the necessary pre-membership schmoozing that would be required to get on the path to membership.

This has been a source of some angst for my wife and I, since adding a much longer drive to the next decent club that is accepting members just makes the situation worse.

I also wish it had a longer outdoor range, but I can't expect everything. I like the place. I go at odd hours, when hardly anyone else is there, if anybody at all.

You will see people waiting in the trap shack and around that waiting for their squad to go out. I never had to wait at the rifle range. I have been a member there for years but not that active in the last few. All in all a great club with good people.

Great range. My step-father is a member of Country Pond Fish and Game and another in Seabrook.

Very easy access to the range from the public road.

I'll try to show my face around a few OTP events and see if I can shmooze with any directors.

My connections are pretty dry there. I know the old president of ECSA, fair amount of people at HRGC but no one at C Pond. I'm going to look at Lawrence RGC too although I'm not a fan of the area.

Back
Top Bottom