• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

thinking of getting my first 1911

RIA are the best budget 1911's and great beater guns. Everyone knows Para's suck and Crapbers also are just overpriced. Of course Colt is the ultimate 1911 but Remington does make a damn good 1911. Ruger is my favorite and I believe is priced the best. You can't go wrong with it for $700.

Colt is far from "ultimate" these days, but they've usually had a rep for making a halfway decent gun over the years. I've had two of them and they were great, wouldn't turn down a good series 70 or 80 gun at a decent price if it was available. The ones I had were officer's mods, if they were 5" guns or commanders I probably would still have them. (Not that an ofc mod is bad, I just had no use for them anymore as carry guns. )

-Mike

Thank you for correcting me on the Colt 1911. From what I've read on here and the 1911 boards I figured they were top of the line. I actually preferred the Ruger trigger to a Colt but I didn't want to get flamed on here by hating on Colt. [wink]

I've got three Kimbers (Series 1), one ParaOrdnance, one Springfield, one Wilson, and one Colt (Delta Elite).

My Colt Delta Elite is a good gun, but far from "the ultimate" 1911 and I had to drop several hundred dollars in gunsmithing fees to get it how I wanted it. There are many smaller shops that build better 1911s than Colt (e.g., Wilson, Ed Brown, etc.).

I have the Sig Target Stainless and the Remington R1. The Remington is by far the better shooter and does not have the external extractor. I shoot with a friend that has a S&W and we both shoot the Remington better.

YMMV

I have the Sig Target Stainless and the Remington R1. The Remington is by far the better shooter and does not have the external extractor. I shoot with a friend that has a S&W and we both shoot the Remington better.

YMMV

Yeah I have tried the Remington triggers at a couple shops, it is real nice. The Ruger gets my vote all day long though. I like the S&W too but man the SR1911 is sweet.

There are many smaller shops that build better 1911s than Colt (e.g., Wilson, Ed Brown, etc.).

You are absolutely correct and I wish I had the money to throw down on one of those. I could sell four of my random guns and still not have enough to take an Ed Brown home. [sad]

the 1911 trigger is so easy to tune it should have zero influence on anything but a custom gun. Barrel fit is what makes or breaks a gun

Also very true. You get the barrel lug/ link fitting wrong on a 1911 and you're in for a headache.

the 1911 trigger is so easy to tune it should have zero influence on anything but a custom gun. Barrel fit is what makes or breaks a gun

Some years back, I was at the range shooting one of my 4" Kimber Compacts when a buddy arrived and showed me his Springfield. He'd sent it the Springfield Armory Custom Shop and had a fair bit of work done on it, including an extensive melt job. The melt job was beautiful. The fit of the frame to the slide was very nice as well. But when I pushed down on the barrel hood, there was significant movement.

I shot his gun side by side with my 4" Kimber and it was more accurate than his 5" Springfield. I'm guessing that was due to the barrel fit.

- - - Updated - - -

You are absolutely correct and I wish I had the money to throw down on one of those. I could sell four of my random guns and still not have enough to take an Ed Brown home.

Indeed. My Wilson is one of their lower grade models that I picked up used. Even used the price was still stupid. Not brand new Ed Brown stupid, but stupid nevertheless.

Yeah I have tried the Remington triggers at a couple shops, it is real nice. The Ruger gets my vote all day long though. I like the S&W too but man the SR1911 is sweet.

But the Ruger does not have a match barrel, the Rem does, and the Ruger is a stamped frame, the Rem is a forged frame. I know a lot of folks love their Rugers, but they are the Hyundai of firearms.

Flame on

But the Ruger does not have a match barrel, the Rem does, and the Ruger is a stamped frame, the Rem is a forged frame. I know a lot of folks love their Rugers, but they are the Hyundai of firearms.

Stamped?

Isn't the Ruger framed cast, just like Caspian frames?

i have a springfield RO, its been good so far, almost every time i see someone shooting IDPA at my range with a 1911 and it jams, its a kimber

Flame on

Ruger frame is cast. Ruger has been casting frames for many companies for many years, same place that Caspian frames are cast at... Pine Tree Casting

Hyundai? Tell that to the MK 22's and the 10/22's. Ruger doesn't make crappy firearms. You are entitled to your opinion but Rugers aren't run of the mill guns, they are extremely well made and built to last. Remington does make a really nice 1911 but for the money, the SR1911 is up to par with the R1 enhanced which costs even more.

- - - Updated - - -

i have a springfield RO, its been good so far, almost every time i see someone shooting IDPA at my range with a 1911 and it jams, its a kimber

The RO would sell so fast if it was compliant. Can you PM me how much you paid for one?

Hyundai? Tell that to the MK 22's and the 10/22's. Ruger doesn't make crappy firearms. You are entitled to your opinion but Rugers aren't run of the mill guns, they are extremely well made and built to last. Remington does make a really nice 1911 but for the money, the SR1911 is up to par with the R1 enhanced which costs even more.

Even a broke clock is right twice a day. I have an MK and I can't wait to sell it. Overly complicated, finnicky jam-o-matic. Yeah the 10-22 is a great gun but came you think of a single Law Enforcement Agency of Military outfit that has ever carried a Ruger side arm?

Lots of law enforcement agencies used to carry Ruger revolvers.

My MK II is a great gun.

Last edited:
Even a broke clock is right twice a day. I have an MK and I can't wait to sell it. Overly complicated, finnicky jam-o-matic. Yeah the 10-22 is a great gun but came you think of a single Law Enforcement Agency of Military outfit that has ever carried a Ruger side arm?

MKII's aren't picky whatsoever. Actually I have tried to jam it and cannot get it to jam with anything, even super cheap crap like Remington Thunderbolts. I hate breaking the gun down and I think it is a horrible design but it works, and you can just use a bore snake. LEO's carry Glock and S&W because of the reliability and easy design and easy to field strip. I am sure if cops could carry SR9's and SR40's they would be quite pleased. I don't want to start a Ruger or Remington war but let's just say that both of these companies make great guns.

Never seen it. Not that I doubt you, but I have seen plenty of S&W revolvers but never a Ruger

S&W had a bigger market share, but Ruger was there and their revolvers were hell for stout.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5135403&postcount=49

A late friend of mine was an INS (later ICE) agent. He was issued a Ruger Security Six until they transitioned to Beretta 96.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Security_Six

Personally I prefer the S&W due to the trigger, but Ruger makes (and made) a good revolver.

Last edited:
MKII's aren't picky whatsoever. Actually I have tried to jam it and cannot get it to jam with anything, even super cheap crap like Remington Thunderbolts. I hate breaking the gun down and I think it is a horrible design but it works, and you can just use a bore snake. LEO's carry Glock and S&W because of the reliability and easy design and easy to field strip. I am sure if cops could carry SR9's and SR40's they would be quite pleased. I don't want to start a Ruger or Remington war but let's just say that both of these companies make great guns.

I shouldn't bust your chops. I will concede that Ruger is a quality manufacturer. I guess what I should really say, is that I don't like most Ruger hand guns. I don't like the grips on most of their revolvers and have yet to find a Ruger semi that i like. But that is an opinion. I do have a high opinion of their bolt guns

Additionally, Remington has plenty of examples of successes and failures. The 770 and the 1100 come to mind.Not to mention that at least Ruger makes handguns. Remington only makes the r1.

However, I think that most of Rugers designs place an emphasis on cost. Most Ruger handguns are more affordable than their competitors, and it is my opinion that in most categories of handguns Rugers competitors offer higher quality alternatives.

My MK is fussy about ammo, and I have a Boresnake, but I bought it because it was cheap and a good gun to teach my son with.

I don't care for the Ruger P-series guns. But I shot an SR1911 and it seemed to be a quality gun. So I don't think you are being objective here.

Maybe you are right but I am trying to be objective. And I really do think that the sr1911 could be the best handgun Ruger has ever made. I guess the point I was trying to make is that for most of Rugers offerings, there are, in my opinion, better options.

LC9-PM9
SR9- M&P, Sig, HK
GP100 - 686
Super Blackhawk - 629

etc. etc. and I didn't even think about Glock, I don't think that Ruger is the worst manufacturer, I just don't think they are the best, in most cases

Flame on

The Rem is a Series 80, the Ruger is a 70. Pretty big difference in trigger mechanisms. You don't know much about these two, do you? [rofl]

The Ruger is also CAST, not stamped. There are a lot of 1911s with cast frames. Dan Wesson even uses them on their econo guns, and DW makes a "cheap" gun (under a grand) that will leave most others in the dust.

-Mike

The Rem is a Series 80, the Ruger is a 70. Pretty big difference in trigger mechanisms. You don't know much about these two, do you? [rofl]

The Ruger is also CAST, not stamped. There are a lot of 1911s with cast frames. Dan Wesson even uses them on their econo guns, and DW makes a "cheap" gun (under a grand) that will leave most others in the dust.

-Mike

DW actually has gone to forged frames on all models since about 2010. Prior to then, the Valor had a forged frame, the PM7/CBOB had cast. Slides were always forged. "Inexpensive" not "cheap" :) Prices have crept up a bit but they still represent a lot of goodness for the price, just hard to find (limited numbers produced).

-Mike
Come on Mike, everyone knows about the "lawyer trigger" on the Series 80. [laugh] And I already mentioned that I misspoke when I said stamped when I meant cast. The kids were playing Dance Central and blaring Lady Gaga Poker Face.... I was in a state of reduced mental capacity!

I think the Ruger 1911 is a fine gun. Way better than a Para or a AO or anything from Taurus, but other than the 1911, I just don't care for Rugers, but completely understand that many do

found a 1911 that i like [smile] - Strayer Voigt Infinity
unfortunately i ca't afford even basic model from these nice folks [frown]

35.jpg
34.jpg

33.jpg
32.jpg

135.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom