• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of getting back into shooting and thinking of doing IDPA

A little about me for those that don't know me. I'm one of the most competitive people out there and sometimes can't enjoy just shooting and doing competitive things for fun. I use to own a boat-load of very expensive guns and I've sold them over the past year and a half to start up my own business. Things are settling at the business and I miss shooting so I'm thinking of getting back into things but not like I was before. I use to shoot a ton with an average of 1000+ rounds per week. I'm a USPSA open master and I love shooting fast. That being said I don't have any intentions on getting back into things full on. I had a hip replacement surgery in November and I'm only at around 60% recovered so running like a madman isn't yet an option.

I'm thinking of picking up a Glock 34 and just doing the basics to it and calling it a day. I'm thinking IDPA for the simple fact that it's not as competitive and the folks doing it seem to be a bit more laid back and less competitive. I'm just afraid that if I get back into shooting that it will consume me again and I will be back to shooting 1000+ rounds per week. The main reason I got out of shooting was because I took it so serious it was no longer fun. I couldn't just go to the range and shoot for fun it was always to work on some flaw in my game.

Well there are certainly more newer shooters in IDPA but there are plenty of competitive folks as well. Once you start losing to me a few times I'm sure you'll sell your guns again or go all in! LOL

I think you need to find a way to keep if fun no matter what you do. Sometimes the competition makes you want to work harder but its always got to be fun. It's frustrating as hell at times but it's got to be something you enjoy doing no matter what.

On a side note- you do realize you gave Mike plenty to jump on... and honestly I'm disappointed at his response. He completely passed on any comments about you wanting a Glock. Maybe since that's what his wife shoots he's worried about making too many Glock jokes in case something happens to her. :)

Forget the Glock, you should get an M&P Pro [wink]

If you're the competitive type I don't think it matters what you shoot, you'll be back in full force. If the hip is still holding you back there will be less movement than a USPSA field course. You'll just have to put up with all the silly rules and procedurals.

Come on Mike... you know the Tiger Team is going to make all that better!

I'm cautiously optimistic but am not holding my breath.

At least the USPSA board finally fixed the mag in the front pocket for production/SS. I was beginning to think USPSA was going to become more IDPA-like with silly rules. [wink]

Just don't put a mag in your front pocket until you hear the "Range is Clear"!

I've always kept my barney mag in back pocket, full mag for make ready in front pocket. But yes, I have put the partially full mag in my front pocket during unload and show clear.

Seems like you (OP) has a good grasp on your wants to get back into the sport. I think your ultra-competitive side is bound to come out but if you go in with the attitude of fun then maybe being a bit older and wiser you can stick to it. Now if you really want to throw a curveball go directly into a different class, maybe even revolver. You may have more fun overall starting at the bottom and working you way up. I would just set up some rules, no more then practice twice a week, no more 300 rounds a session, no more then $$ on the budget. If you can't have discipline to do those things then your just setting yourself up to be running around again cursing the fumbled reload and the lost 1.3 seconds.

Well, im going to order a 34suprise this week regardless of what i end up doing. Im sure somehow i will end up buying an open gun. Haha. Cant believe im going to buy a Glock.

Well, im going to order a 34suprise this week regardless of what i end up doing. Im sure somehow i will end up buying an open gun. Haha. Cant believe im going to buy a Glock.

People that don't like Glocks either haven't tried them or are too embarrassed to shoot them after making fun of them so much. :)

You'll last 1 IDPA stage and then you will go back to USPSA

What he said[smile]

- - - Updated - - -

We will all be watching the Enos Classifieds [grin]

Shooting has been a love hate relationship for me for almost 10 years. I get all crazy about it and buy tons of guns and then burn out to repeat the process over again.

es you want to work harder but its always got to be fun. It's frustrating as hell at times but it's got to be something you enjoy doing no matter what.

On a side note- you do realize you gave Mike plenty to jump on... and honestly I'm disappointed at his response. He completely passed on any comments about you wanting a Glock. Maybe since that's what his wife shoots he's worried about making too many Glock jokes in case something happens to her. :)

Pete is thinking of shooting IDPA, there is nothing I can say about Glocks that will top that

Supermoto said:
Its amazing how long it took USPSA to get their heads out of their asses on this issue. Lots of people got screwed over by this for no reason

But now that they have, I can no longer point to it and say "see? It isn't just IDPA that has ridiculous rules". [laugh]

But now that they have, I can no longer point to it and say "see? It isn't just IDPA that has ridiculous rules". [laugh]

Production is just IDPA without hide and seek. Its a bullshit division. Ridiculous mag restrictions, arbitrary rules. It was formed to entice IDPA shooters to try USPSA. F'em I say

Mike- I love the comment that Production is just IDPA without the hide and seek. Too funny. We'll see how long I can play the IDPA game. I'm sure I will be right back into USPSA and buying $5000 open pistols again. UGGGG

Mike- I love the comment that Production is just IDPA without the hide and seek. Too funny. We'll see how long I can play the IDPA game. I'm sure I will be right back into USPSA and buying $5000 open pistols again. UGGGG

Pete- God only knows what you'll do. As for Mike's comments.... he's off his rocker. He's been hanging around the Doodie Team too long. And ironically their fearless leader only shoots Production!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the ruling from last fall (after Area 7) covers that one:

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=51

The new ruling allows you to put the barney mag in your front pocket. As long as you don't use it during the COF you're ok.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=55

I'm not talking about the barney mag- fortunately they got that part right. However if you unload to show clear and put a mag in your front pocket you might be shooting Open. I could be wrong but they really botched up that rule issue.

I'm not talking about the barney mag- fortunately they got that part right. However if you unload to show clear and put a mag in your front pocket you might be shooting Open. I could be wrong but they really botched up that rule issue.

Dave:

The second link that Mike provided has the following text:

Production and Single Stack equipment locations are NOT intended to complicate loading before the start signal or unloading. (e.g. – a magazine may be retrieved from a front pocket to facilitate loading before the start signal or while unloading at the end of a COF without penalty).

My interpretation of this, perhaps incorrectly, is that you can stow a magazine in your front pocket during unload and show clear. Is your interpretation different?

Back
Top Bottom