• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of getting an Airsoft pistol

Thinking of picking up an airsoft pistol or two. Anyone here use one? What's out on the market worth investing in?

I don't really know the "serious" airsoft market, but I do have one of the full size battery powered MP5's and gas powered M3 grease guns. Both were a few hundred bucks. When I am too lazy to pack up the car and go to the range, I just go in the backyard or basement and it is almost as much fun as the real thing (and a lot cheaper)...

My guess is if you buy a cheap $10 spring pistol, you not be happy, but if you spend say $50 or more I bet you'll have fun...

Mike508 said:
Thinking of picking up an airsoft pistol or two. Anyone here use one? What's out on the market worth investing in?

I'm also planning on getting one to use with Airsoft paintballs for Force on Force training. Shotgun News has an occasional good article on the more serious Airsoft equipment.

Their TREASURY 5 (last year) had a great review of the available handguns and the various operating systems (gas powered, spring powered, electric). Alas, it's no longer on the stands.

Basicly, I'm going to be getting a metal framed, gas-powered Glock replica. It will probably cost me somewhere between one and two hundred dollars, will fit perfectly in my carry holster and shoot just like my Glock for training purposes.

TREASURY 6 is out now, and has an article on Airsoft long arms and how they are being used by military and police for serious training. Interesting read.

Regards
John

I love em. Myself and the 2 other guys I work with each keep one in our tool boxes. I have a Glock thats nearly identical to mine in look and feel. The other 2 guys I work with have a 1911 and a Desert Eagle. WE shoot each other with them from across the shop (about 75 feet) now and then to relieve "work related stress" [smile]
I got mine for $20 and its pretty accurate but the Desert Eagle ones are the best. Years ago I got one from US Cavalry before they stopped selling them and I could hit a soda can at about 15 yards when I had my Desert Eagle. Many years of shooting it though led to me breaking the plastic cocking device, but it was only $30. You can spend more on an airsoft rifle than what you will on a real one. K98s, M1 Garands, M60 machine guns, they make them all. The green gas SMGs are a blast I heard but pricey, and the blowback gas powered pistols seem fun too.
Check online but beware, good ol Tommy has stopped many companies from shipping them to Mass. If you find one that ships, keep the name private.

Thanks folks. I've looked into air pistols and rifles in the past; but have not invested in one as there are quite a few on the market and I wouldn't have a clue as to what's even decent (despite the number of brands and cal., there are a variety of power-houses: spring, electric and gas).

Initially I was considering a spring pistol (I'll avoid the $10 cheapsters, thanks sb), but it seems the gas and electric models have something going for them, as well. Maybe it's a matter of dropping $50 on something that seems okay and just taking it from there.

Mike508 said:
Thanks folks. I've looked into air pistols and rifles in the past; but have not invested in one as there are quite a few on the market and I wouldn't have a clue as to what's even decent (despite the number of brands and cal., there are a variety of power-houses: spring, electric and gas).

Initially I was considering a spring pistol (I'll avoid the $10 cheapsters, thanks sb), but it seems the gas and electric models have something going for them, as well. Maybe it's a matter of dropping $50 on something that seems okay and just taking it from there.

Check some web sites that offer reviews. Several vendors give honest reviews on models they sell, including if its cheap and just for collecting, or if its combat ready.

I have read a couple articles stating that having one with similar size, weight and style as you regular CCW is great at home practice.

A&A airsoft in Salem New Hampsire has all kinds of cool air soft guns. They are located on Rt28 south. I bought a Tokyo Marui Sig P-226. GUn shoots awsome about 300FPS realistic function etc.

The Tokyo Marui Sig P-226 looks like fun, stinx; and, with M4M and OP speaking highly (at least it seems so) of the gas blowback models, I'm kind've leaning that way. I'll certainly stay away from the $10 spring models, securityb. [wink]

One model that caught my eye was the Benjamin Air Pistol CO2 Pellet Pistol .22 Caliber 400 fps (http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Benjamin_Air_Pistol_CO2_EB22_p/bnjeb22.htm). Though it's not a repeater, it looks like it'll punch some holes through some paper. And, I was thinkin' of taking a run out to the Amherst Drop Zone to see what they had at their store.

Thanks all.

I have the Walther Blackhawk... its fun.

nhb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom