• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of getting a .357 Magnum

D

daceman63

My friend has his application in for his LTC. He wants his first firearm to be a 357. He wants to buy new. He's shot plenty of times with me and other friends and he's hell bent on this. Who makes the best for under $1,000.00 and if you can provide a guestimate of what might be the actual cost that would be great.

I recommended he talk to the guys at four seasons from reading other threads. Aside from that though any othe info would be great.

Thanks in advance.

daceman63 said:
I recommended he talk to the guys at four seasons from reading other threads. Aside from that though any othe info would be great.

Going to Four Seasons would be a great idea. He can hold them and see what feels right. There's no need to spend $1K on a .357, unless he's planning on buying a Colt Python, but he's not going to find one anyways. For example, new S&W 686s are something in the ballpark of $550 I think.

I think an older S&W, either the M19 or M66 would be a great choice for a first revolver. Ditto for the L-frame version, the M586 or 686. They can usually be found in good shape for a $300-500 used. Tell him that a good used revolver is a very wise choice, especially from someone like Four Seasons.

You'll never go wrong with a S&W. He's being smart to want a 357 as it also handles .38spl and is pretty cheap to shoot. A new SW will probably be in the 700 range.

They don't make the Model 66 anymore:
66.jpg

but they still have a good offering. Check their web site.

I like the Model 19/66 (blue versus stainless). Personally, I'd recommend an older model rather than the current ones. But if he just HAS to get new, then a 686.

I'm assuming he's not going to be carrying concealed. If he wants to carry concealed, then I'd go for a model 60 for belt carry or a 642 (.38 spcl) for pocket carry.

I saw a Python at FS the other day (last Wed, I believe). Price was somewhat over $1K. [I'm pretty sure it was at FS, if not it was at Frank & Tiny's in Tyngsboro . . . I was at both shops that day.]

Good bets:

- Ruger Blackhawk
- Colt Trooper
- S&W 27 (or other models)

Ruger GP 100 trigger is not as nice as S&W but bull strong he'll have a hard time breaking it recomend 4 inch in SS paid in the $425-450 range for mine.
can use the $100 difference for S&W to have triggwer work done

I know the Taurus seemed popular, but they are not available in MA new. Dan Wesson used to be good, but I have no idea as to their current status.

Which current S&W is closest to the 66?

I have the S&W 686 4" barrel. Carl at FS said I needed to have at least one wheel gun. I don't use it as much as my pistols but it's a great, nice looking gun... definitely not for CCW IMO.

Shooting is a breeze with the SA pull and 38s. 357 is a hell of a round if you get bored with 38s...

M1911 said:
Coyote33 said:
Which current S&W is closest to the 66?
The 686 -- it's the heavier L-frame, rather than the K-frame 66 and 19.

I believe the 620 would be a closer match: it's still an L-frame but with a half-lug so the balance is closer to the 66. Either one would be a fine first 357.

Another vote for the GP100. I've had mine for at least 15 years now and it's a great wheelgun. 4" Stainless.

CD

Tons of great info. on the 357. Thank you all for your input. I will pass this info. along to him and I know I will get to take the ride for the big day as well. He is planning to go to FS and that's always a nice day.

Thanks again. I'll post again as soon as he makes that purchase.

Dan Wesson

Coyote33 said:
I know the Taurus seemed popular, but they are not available in MA new. Dan Wesson used to be good, but I have no idea as to their current status.

Dan Wesson is currently being built in Norwich, NY and being distributed by CZ-USA.

http://www.cz-usa.com/

However, doesn't look like they're doing .357s anymore. Just 1911s and big revolvers in calibers like 445 Supermag.

Regards
John

In God I Trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

Sp101

One gun nobody else seems to have suggested is the Ruger SP101 with a 3" bbl. Bigger and more controlable than the J-frame S&W, small enough to be a viable CCW gun.

Crimson trace makes lasergrips for it, which they don't for the GP100.

One thing your buddy is gonna need to decide is whether he needs adjustable sights or not.

Regards
John

In God I Trust. Everybody else keep your hands where I can see them!

The 686 is up to a steady diet of full power .357 - something not recommended with the 19 and 66. Newer S&W revolvers use a different cylinder deisgn which actually allows replacement of the ejector star as a separate part (not possible on old designs). There is also the 686+ which is a 7 shooter.

If you go for the classics, the 686 is a workhorse that won't let you down.

If you want "older smiths" look for ones with something to offer - like a recessed cylinder, or going back a bit further the 4 screw and 5 screw models (referring to the # of screws securing the sideplate).

If you run into a used 27 or 28, these full sized .357's are worth a close look as well.

One nice thing about the Ruger revolvers is that removal of the cylinder and trigger group is a "user operation", not a "gunsmith task." - which isn't that much of a distinction if you know the tricks to removing the S&W sideplate and cylinder without marring the gun.

I love my 686P AND my 66! S&W revolvers are great. I'd avoid the Taurus clones; Most of the Taurii I've seen have crappy triggers that feel like they're full of broken glass - gritty. Ech.

One of the problems I've had with S&W revolvers is that the large frame guns are too big for my hand. He should try different brands in different models to see what fits him. It's hard to go wrong with a Smith or a Ruger.

Arioch said:
One of the problems I've had with S&W revolvers is that the large frame guns are too big for my hand.
+1!

I've never been able to comfortably hold a square-butt K-frame - I've always had to use aftermarket grips. Siles or Hogue work real well for me. Fortunately, the L-framed 686 comes with Hogue grips.

Another option... (yes, I know its not a .357, but bear with me)

I still see S&W Model 10s NIB (New In Box) and I'm talking the old blue cardboard boxes here. While not a .357, it is a very well made .38 that can handle the +p loads all day long. Best of all, you can get these for less than $300 last I knew.

Just an option.

I'd also go with the Smith & Wesson as I find that their triggers are the best out of the box. As for the 66 vs. 686, I'd have to give a nod to the 686. However, I still find the older blued revolvers far more attractive than the stainless although more care is needed.

Hands down, S&W 686P.

I learned to shoot with a 6" and knew that my first gun HAD to be a 686P. I was lucky to find one used with a 4" at Four Seasons. Also lucky that my boyfriend was with me and he encouraged my shooting by putting a deposit down on it. Which is why that boyfriend is now my husband. [wink] [smile]

SiameseRat said:
Hands down, S&W 686P.

I learned to shoot with a 6" and knew that my first gun HAD to be a 686P. I was lucky to find one used with a 4" at Four Seasons. Also lucky that my boyfriend was with me and he encouraged my shooting by putting a deposit down on it. Which is why that boyfriend is now my husband. [wink] [smile]

...And a very lucky husband he is! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom