• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of getting a 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said BASE widths for specific models. Numbers are fine, and pulled right off manufacturers websites.

Saying the Sig has a crappy trigger or a decocker is stupid is opinion, calling a gun that has a reputation as unreliable a poor design is a fact. 1911s are notorious for feeding issues and are known to not like hollow points. So why would someone choose a 1911 over a Glock, that I can take out of the box and put 1,000 flawless rounds through? I recently hit the 1,000 mark with my Glock 23 without a single malfunction. When I had a Ruger SR1911, I couldn't get through 2 mags without a least 1 FTF.

The 1911 was in use for as long as it was because it WAS the best design of it's time. Before the military started using the 1911 they were using revolvers, which are not good combat handguns at all. The 1911 was a huge leap forward. I'd take a auto-loader that jams every 2-3 mags over a revolver that will get me killed reloading.

As for it's service record, once the military chooses a gun they tend to stick with it for a long time. The cost to replace an entire arsenal with new guns, spare parts, ammo, mags, holsters, and train soldiers to use and maintain them is astronomical. I read an article recently about how the military was sticking with the M4 over better alternatives because the cost to replace that weapon would have been too high, so they wanted a "huge leap forward". The 1911 was a huge leap forward in it's time, just like the Beretta was a huge leap forward over the 1911.

Mty S&W 1911 will eat any profile ammo you care to load into any mag. Zero hiccups.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

The 1911 was in use for as long as it was because it WAS the best design of it's time. Before the military started using the 1911 they were using revolvers, which are not good combat handguns at all. The 1911 was a huge leap forward. I'd take a auto-loader that jams every 2-3 mags over a revolver that will get me killed reloading.

As for it's service record, once the military chooses a gun they tend to stick with it for a long time. The cost to replace an entire arsenal with new guns, spare parts, ammo, mags, holsters, and train soldiers to use and maintain them is astronomical. I read an article recently about how the military was sticking with the M4 over better alternatives because the cost to replace that weapon would have been too high, so they wanted a "huge leap forward". The 1911 was a huge leap forward in it's time, just like the Beretta was a huge leap forward over the 1911.

While the 1911/1911A1 was the standard issue service pistol for the US Military, the standard issue Infantry long arm changed many times during the service life of the design:

1903/A1/A2/A3
M1 Garand along with
M1 Carbine (with all its iterations)
M14
M16/A1/A2

Cost to change? Jams every 2-3 mags? Design Sucks?

Strange.

Last edited:
What is a high cut ejection port?

I didn't know what else to call it .
original m1911 style ejection port vs the lowered ones that all most all 1911's have now.

High wall vs low wall? Jist of what I should if said if your only gonna own one 1911 I'd say buy some thing closer to a m1911/m1911a1 then say a sig style 1911....

But if your gonna buy one to carry or really use buy every bell and whistle the owner likes.

I didn't wade through the 19 pages but I don't have enough good things to say about my Springfield Armory Range Officer. Has a few thousand rounds through her and eats everything save for 185 grain semi wadcutters reliably.

Fitz

In that range? Smith, Sig and Remington (in that order.) I've owned them all. S&W is my favorite. BTW, there is a nice used one right here in the classifieds. Please buy it before I do!

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I always wanted a 1911 but after shooting a "modern" .45 (Springfield XD45 Compact) I bought one of those. Great gun and I don't regret it for one minute. But I finally got the Ruger SR1911 and I absolutely love it. I'm keeping the XD because it's an easier carry option if I want to carry something more powerful than my usual 9mm carry but I not only am keeping the SR1911 but will likely add the Commander model when I can afford it.

The SR1911 has fired every piece of crap round I put through it (since you take what you can get when it comes to ammo these days). Not a single FTF, FTE, or anything.

Modern pistols are great, but there is a reason the 1911 is more popular now, at over 100 years old, than it has ever been.

I have a SIG GSR 1911 and I've built a 1911 on a new frame but with 1943 slide and small bits...my first build.

Both have similar function issues. After a cartridge is chambered and the trigger pulled, there is a loud noise and sort of mechanical shock. The cartridges never come out looking the same as when they went in...there's always a dent in the back and the whole front has gone missing.

I'm so frustrated with these guns... this happens every F'in time!

I originally scanned this and wrote it off as a limp wristed sissy post....so glad I went back and read it thoroughly after seeing it quoted twice.....funny, +1 for you

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

I just picked up one of those cheap RIA 1911a1 compact tac in 9mm. Only taken it out once, but it is impressive for a $500 piece. Trigger is probably the best of all my handguns, beavertail is broad and the hammer seats in a recess, so no chance of being bitten, skeletonized hammer and trigger, Novak sights. Fit $ finish are fine,groups phenomenally, can't find anything to whine about...except it's about $400 less out of my pocket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom