• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of buying electronic earmuffs...

I got the email from Midway with my bday discount [smile] Was thinking of getting electronic earmuffs. Figured they'd be good for IDPA matches (hearing range commands better) and for training classes (instructing).

I normally use the formed/custom ear plugs. (These would still be a must for high power because of the comfort against rifle stock.)

I was looking at these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=671923

They have good reviews and don't break the bank - otherwise I'm not in the market [thinking] But I don't want to throw money away at crap either.

Anyone have these or any advice?

yup...I'm a search-tard [rolleyes] totally missed that.

I will be in the Cabela's hood this weekend...I bet they'll have some to check out. Trying some on is a good idea. Thanks pipmaster1971 [grin]

Thanks folks!

I've had a set of the Impact Sports for about a year, now. A good headset, not a great one - but well worth their price. The amps have moderate noise, the batteries last a reasonable amount of time, they fit my head okay, nothing on them has broken. If I lost mine, I'd buy another set.

I've also used these Peltor plugs. Not a perfect solution either, but they've worked for me fairly well.

Just used a set of those HL's for the first time today. Not entirely satisfied. Noise cutout was not fast enough, came back too soon at times, and wasn't quiet enough. This was on an indoor range. I suspect outdoors they would be fine, but the multiple impulses from one shot due to echos indoors is beyond their capability to handle well.

I'll keep them though, because at a bear minimum, they are very comfortable and quiet. Oh, and Amazon.com has em for 47 bucks with free shipping.

i've got some cheap Caldwells from BassPro (Green ~$40ish) kinda low profile - no complaints with function.

I have two pairs of them. For the money they're pretty good. However $60 is too much. I think I paid ~$45 with shipping brand new off of ebay.

I use foam earplugs and electronic muffs with the volume turned way up. I can hear range commands and have a conversation but am totally deaf to my .45 and 30-06. What's left of my hearing should last much longer this way.

I use those GENTEX muffs, being as they are just a block or two down the street from MFL here in NH.

i've got some cheap Caldwells from BassPro (Green ~$40ish) kinda low profile - no complaints with function.

Yeah. +1 - The cheap Caldwells (E-MAX) are great for the price. Get 'em to see if you like electronic muffs and then get a high-end set if you do. The big differences are fit, cut-out sensitivity and return time, and durability. But my Caldwells have been through a lot of abuse - pretty good for $30 or less if you get the right Midway deal. Once you have your own higher-end favorite set, loan the Caldwells out to friends when you hit the range.

Yeah. +1 - The cheap Caldwells (E-MAX) are great for the price. Get 'em to see if you like electronic muffs and then get a high-end set if you do. The big differences are fit, cut-out sensitivity and return time, and durability. But my Caldwells have been through a lot of abuse - pretty good for $30 or less if you get the right Midway deal. Once you have your own higher-end favorite set, loan the Caldwells out to friends when you hit the range.

That's the big difference I've found with low cost and higer cost muffs. I have had the Peltor T6 for about 5 years...and loved the low profile. They started buzzing and I picked up the Peltor Tac Sports and have found them to be MUCH better.

I can hear clearer, and love the high dB cut. I love that abrupt sound cut-off is so smooth that you forget that you're at the range wearing ears. I hear everyone talking in normal voices...but it blocks the live fire. I've used electronics that just cut in and out so hard that you start to get woozey or a headache.

I say see if you can try different pairs...but I do suggest paying a little more for better electronics.

I use the HL's as well - they are marketed at Dicks as Field and Stream. For the money, they are great and I use mine both in and outdoors. Can't beat them for the price IMHO...

Yah, I just don't use them indoors because I'm a baby and want more noise reduction. Half the time I'll double up when shooting inside.

Back
Top Bottom