• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of a new project....

Nashmack

Banned
I was just researching SBSes and SBRs, and I found the process to register one as an NFA weapon is actually kind of easy. I was thinking that one of my local dealers has a pair of Marlin 336s that are pretty decently priced, one chambered for .30-30, ad one for .45-70. I'd like to take one or the other and chop the barrel down to about 14" and re crown the muzzle. Anyone know which cartridge would perform better out of the shorter barrel?

I don't plan on using this for hunting or anything of the sort, I just like having and shooting different items that not everyone has.

Part time job coming up soon Mark, I'll have one job to pay the bills and one to pay for toys[smile]

By the way I just came across some .38 special brass, I'm gonna go through it tonight and see what I got, you want it?

Nashmack said:
I was just researching SBSes and SBRs, and I found the process to register one as an NFA weapon is actually kind of easy. I was thinking that one of my local dealers has a pair of Marlin 336s that are pretty decently priced, one chambered for .30-30, ad one for .45-70. I'd like to take one or the other and chop the barrel down to about 14" and re crown the muzzle. Anyone know which cartridge would perform better out of the shorter barrel?

I don't plan on using this for hunting or anything of the sort, I just like having and shooting different items that not everyone has.

What is the price on those 336's?

Nashmack said:
Part time job coming up soon Mark, I'll have one job to pay the bills and one to pay for toys[smile]

By the way I just came across some .38 special brass, I'm gonna go through it tonight and see what I got, you want it?

Nice ! Gotta love the way the gun gods make things work out.[grin]

I've got all the .38 brass I need for awhile, but if you see any 7.62x39 large primer brass, I wannit!!

Nashmack said:
...Anyone know which cartridge would perform better out of the shorter barrel?

If you mean kick harder, I'd go for the 45-70. [rofl]
Seriously, the heavier bullet of the 45-70 will probably produce more energy from a short barrel, due in large part, to the faster burning powders usually used for big-bore straight walled cartridges.

[Recoil Anonymous introduction]
Hi, I'm Nashmack, and I'm a recoil junkie.
[/Recoil Anonymous introduction]

If I went .45-70 I would of course start handloading. It's kinda hard to find 400+ grain Garrett SHCH projectiles loaded in factory ammunition. Anyone have any idea how strong the action on the 336 is?

Why do I envision him coming to the next shoot with a Lahti 20MM ?
l-1_s.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking something more along the lines of a Lilliput if I can find one Dennis[smile]

As for the Lahti...I know where there's one I could buy, I just dont know where to find ammunition and even if I was reloading I dont know any place I can get 20MM components.

Back
Top Bottom