Thinking of a career change after losing dream job

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why you add education.

But I think it's pretty clear to everyone at this point, you lack the desire to make change happen.
It's not lack of desire, it's there, it's just I have to know it will work beforehand and I don't get that assurance. No guarantees in life I know, but there's no guarantees I'll still be alive by this time next week.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's not lack of desire, it's there, it's just I have to know it will work beforehand and I don't get that assurance. No guarantees in life I know, but there's no guarantees I'll still be alive by this time next week.
You said it yourself, no guarantees. If that's what you are waiting for you best get used to where you are.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
That can be said about any industry saying they're "starving" to hire people. Yeah, if you're an employer and your starting wage for any job in manufacturing is $12/hr, where do you expect to find qualified people to work for that wage?

Yeah... it's amazing how little skilled manufacturing workers get paid today. I can't wait to see the days where simple parts can be 3D printed and the machining trade shrinks by half as a result. Then machinists will go from making $18/hr to $10/hr manning a warehouse full of 3D printers.///.
Not anytime soon.

In fact most metal 3D printed parts require machine work to finish thrm. In the leading metal processes today, first step is to remove the part from the steel build base with wire EDM or a bandsaw.

The processes are also quite limited in the size of part they can produce, and are so expensive they are mostly used for Titanium, Stainless, or a few other relatively exotic metals.

Finally, there’s only one machine that can sort of make aluminum parts.

3DP is likely to increase local manufacturing employment by some amount, especially machinists. Right now it’s almost all aerospace or medical.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I think you got my point just the same. You have to be willing to travel to where the money is being paid and where you will be noticed as being a good machinist. Otherwise stay put, push buttons and debur the parts.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Age is a real problem when you're in tech, I'm just over 50 and the offers aren't what they used to be. My abilities are current and proven, but I'm no longer young and for some reason they'd rather a young hothead who is still making dumb mistakes than someone with real-world abilities.
Become a Sales Engineer. Pay is great and you dont need to be as technical. There is a severe shortage of Sales Engineers.

I work with plenty of SEs in the late 40s and 50s.

Last edited:

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not anytime soon.

In fact most metal 3D printed parts require machine work to finish thrm. In the leading metal processes today, first step is to remove the part from the steel build base with wire EDM or a bandsaw.

The processes are also quite limited in the size of part they can produce, and are so expensive they are mostly used for Titanium, Stainless, or a few other relatively exotic metals.

Finally, there’s only one machine that can sort of make aluminum parts.

3DP is likely to increase local manufacturing employment by some amount, especially machinists. Right now it’s almost all aerospace or medical.
I was told all machining was going to be 3d printers in 5 years, 9 years ago. The guy telling me had never worked anywhere near a machining related industry, but you know he remembered reading a article.

I will believe that CAM jockeys will see their prospects cut well before (good) machinists will.

My advice to through OP would be learn peripheral areas that will come into play in the future. Computer programming and shape recognition. Materials properties that come into play with 3d printing. Programming robots for mechanical manipulations. Even if you aren't the guy paid to solve the problem the first time, the better you recognize byproducts and issues the more people will seek out your opinion when there is a problem. "I don't know, it just didn't work. Is a good way to get marginalized when new tech and processes come in"

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If not the military take a look at Coast Guard.
I'll +1 to that. The military can be an excellent way to pick up a trade. And Navy machinists are awesome dudes! Navy calls the job "machinery repairman"

That said, if you are near Hingham, look at Russelectric's web page. They make all equipment and enclosures and such in house. It's an amazing company. You could probably roll over to the "test" side of the house or even field service, sales, or engineering.

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alternatively put, the hardest part about hiring 20somethings is imposing a drug test requirement for smoking the heathen devil weed in their off hours that has absolutely nothing to do with their job performance.

Not our choice. We do business with the federal government. As a requirement to get a federal contract, we must have pre employment and random drug testing. I've been "randomed" 12 times, likely because they know I'll pass. It's test #1 to get the job that is the problem

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you're looking for a career change in a blue collar job, there is CRAZY demand for truck drivers. Both local and OTR.

A couple of our warehouses are in "industrial" area just off the highway. There's signs up and down the road, looking for help. Everything from "experienced drivers make $75k to start, and be home for dinner"
"we will pay for your CDL, and get paid while you train"

If the OP is a single guy, looking to leave the Northeast, a job driving over the road would pay great and let him see the country.

When I was living in Colorado, our drivers got paid by "the piece". The guys who wanted money would be running up and sown the ramp with 2- 2 wheelers, get their normal run done before luch, get back to the barn and take a second load out. We has local drivers making well over 100k

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for a career change in a blue collar job, there is CRAZY demand for truck drivers. Both local and OTR.

A couple of our warehouses are in "industrial" area just off the highway. There's signs up and down the road, looking for help. Everything from "experienced drivers make $75k to start, and be home for dinner"
"we will pay for your CDL, and get paid while you train"

If the OP is a single guy, looking to leave the Northeast, a job driving over the road would pay great and let him see the country.

When I was living in Colorado, our drivers got paid by "the piece". The guys who wanted money would be running up and sown the ramp with 2- 2 wheelers, get their normal run done before luch, get back to the barn and take a second load out. We has local drivers making well over 100k
This... could be an option. I would hate driving a truck in the Northeast tho with how narrow the roads are in places, but once you're out into Pennslyvania, Ohio, the road is open and flat and easy to drive. I use to live in the Midwest, would like to move back, would be easiest if I could make more than 40k a year and save the money to buy a house in small town Ohio or Indiana.

Top Bottom