• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking about serving in the military. Any tips or things I should know?

I think its great that you are interested in serving our country, but just remember its not all the glamour you see on the commercials on TV shows or, the the stories you hear from others that have served. However it is a great way to advance your career . Just keep in mind the recruiter will never tell you that there is a chance that you may come home in a box. not to be a prick but that what I told my 2 boys(men now) some time the truth hurts. best of luck

I think its great that you are interested in serving our country, but just remember its not all the glamour you see on the commercials on TV shows or, the the stories you hear from others that have served. However it is a great way to advance your career . Just keep in mind the recruiter will never tell you that there is a chance that you may come home in a box. not to be a prick but that what I told my 2 boys(men now) some time the truth hurts. best of luck
I was a much younger man then. Too old now. At least I tried. Flat feet are a deal killer. Did not know it when I applied.

Main questions I have

Is basic training as bad as the movies proclaim? Is modern Basic Training as bad as it was before? My main haunting shadow of doubt is Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket lol. But I know that's just a movie and I have also heard our current Basic Training isn't as harsh as it was circa Vietnam era.

Do you reckon they will put most people as a ground troop or will their be a possibility i'm a chef or a barber?

What happens to all my stuff when I leave? Who will pay the tag on my truck or keep my things from getting stolen? Protect my guns. The rent. My Truck's insurance, and things of that nature. How do those things get paid under my name if i'm not around? Do they let you pay for those things online?.

Well, I’ll do my best to help you out. I joined the Marines in 2006 at 21. I signed up for Crash Fire Rescue, and ended up being aviation Ordnance on F-18’s. That’s what’s called getting the big green weenie. In hindsight, I had a much better time in my enlistment than those from CFR, and I got to deploy more.

Boot camp was the easiest, least stressful time in my 4 years. Yes, it is difficult, but you need to know that you are going to be pushed to the limit where they want you to crack. I had a strict upbringing, so I was ready. Also, they say they aren’t allowed to hit you.... HA! I was punched, kicked, choked, thrown... but I can tell you each time it was due to my mess up, and after each one I didn’t mess up in that manner again.

As for the jobs, you’ll take a test (asvab) and they’ll give you a job that will pertain to your knowledge and skillset. I suggest selecting a job that will give you something that transfers to the civilian world.

As for your stuff when you leave... all depends what you have. Most bases have storage for stuff, or just get a storage container off base. They’ll usually let you prepare most storage containers. I wouldn’t suggest leaving the guns in storage... my friends got stolen. He could have left them in the base armory... lesson learned. The rent? If you’re in the barracks, no worries. As for the trucks insurance... automatic payment. If registration and inspection run out while you’re gone, carry a copy of your orders with you until you get it fixed.

You’re worried about a lot of little things. Don’t worry, it’ll work itself out. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

DD497BD2-62F5-4A75-B8BB-73907A736CA8.jpeg
what happened to the op? he run out to enlist?

Could be!

My son graduated Army OSUT Basic/Infantry Friday 15Feb, having shipped out 15Oct. His phone logged a dozen minutes, a few dozen texts and near 0MB data. He caught the bus to Airborne School Friday at Benning (the first black beret right of the soldier in camo with his back to the camera), had Sat-Mon off and chewed through 7GB of data in three days - with WiFi!

He’s getting his own phone plan next billing cycle...

View attachment 270107

Could be!

My son graduated Army OSUT Basic/Infantry Friday 15Feb, having shipped out 15Oct. His phone logged a dozen minutes, a few dozen texts and near 0MB data. He caught the bus to Airborne School Friday at Benning (the first black beret right of the soldier in camo with his back to the camera), had Sat-Mon off and chewed through 7GB of data in three days - with WiFi!

He’s getting his own phone plan next billing cycle...

Congrats. And yes. It’s time he was off your plan.

Bus to Benning? He didn’t train at Sand Hill? Where is Infantry OSUT these days?

Back
Top Bottom