• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking about RMR cut for G-17

jkoj

NES Member
I’ve never shot with a RMR but I am very interested in them. Thinking about sending my slide in to get it cut. What’s everyone’s thoughts on these. I’m 54 so the eyes aren’t what they used to be.

I have a Trijicon RMR mounted on a Glock G17 slide with an adapter plate.
I also have a Trijicon SRO mounted on a Glock G34 where the slide was milled and the sight fitted, (no adapter plate).

These are for competition only, (not carry).
I bought the RMR a couple years ago, and the SRO within the last year.

The RMR seems more rugged, durable than the SRO.
It's much, much easier to pick up the red dot in the SRO. The lens is round and larger, the dot just comes to your eye, (or at least it does to mine).

I know people who have the RMR installed on their carry guns.
I don't know anyone who has the SRO installed on a carry gun.

Trijicon sights are expensive. There are others out there worth looking at if you don't like the price tag.
If you're sure you want a Trijicon RMR/SRO, I'd get the slide milled specifically for it. It's the best way to get it closest to the bore. C&H Precision in Richmond Hill, Georgia milled my slide and mounted my SRO. I've quite pleased with their work, and happy to recommend them.

RMR's and RDO's are the way.

There absolutely is a learning curve, but the pay off is accuracy and speed on tap. Jagerwerks usually has a super cheap black friday RMR cut deal. They have cut 6 slides (four glocks and two cz's) for me and they do outstanding work.
I just started running a Holosun 507K on my Sig p365xl slide and it's a tack driver now.

glock19.jpg sig.jpg

Last edited:
Yes there are a few to choose from. Any of you guys shoot a Taunton Rifle and Pistol. I should probably try a few options out before committing

RMR's and RDO's are the way.

There absolutely is a learning curve, but the pay off is accuracy and speed on tap. Jagerwerks usually has a super cheap black friday RMR cut deal. They have cut 6 slides (four glocks and two cz's) for me and they do outstanding work.
I just started running a Holosun 507K on my Sig p365xl slide and it's a tack driver now.

View attachment 414054View attachment 414056
I want to do that same setup on my 17.

What I'm finding after having and RMR on my G17 MOS for about a month now is that there's a training investment that needs to be made before you begin to see any benefits.

At first, it was absolutely frustrating not being able to find the dot. After dry firing with it several times a day over the past few weeks I realized pretty early on just how fast one can get with one.

I'm still not confident enough to carry it yet, but with time that will probably change.

If you have the option I suggest getting it cut so that the RMR is behind the rear sight , they will have to recut the dovetail for the rear. So the sequence starting at the dangerous end would be front sight, rear sight, optic. This way you have a cleaner view through the optic and your eyes are not distracted by the rear sight. Then get suppressor height sights...................and a suppressor........... ;)

Can't you just buy a cut slide off the internet? Then you can always go back if you don't like it.
This. 100%.

The cost of having a slide cut is not too far off the cost of a slide already cut. Might as well have two slides.... that could eventually lead to another lower and a second gun. [smile]

If you have the option I suggest getting it cut so that the RMR is behind the rear sight , they will have to recut the dovetail for the rear. So the sequence starting at the dangerous end would be front sight, rear sight, optic. This way you have a cleaner view through the optic and your eyes are not distracted by the rear sight. Then get suppressor height sights...................and a suppressor........... ;)
Can't cut an RMR behind the rear sight ... Unless you want to move the rear sight to the middle of the slide. Would look pretty funny. Might get a sight radius of maybe 3".

I put a MRDS on my G19 MOS about 6 months ago.

I'm 53 and can no longer get a solid focus on my front sight. The dot sight makes precise shooting much easier.

However, I've invested a lot of time training to shoot at shorter distances with minimal reference to sights. Inside 25 ft I'm just as fast with irons while still maintaining adequate accuracy. So for me, there isn't really any great advantage to a dot sight for defensive use. I do use one on my G19. But on a smaller gun like a P365 the dot sight kind of reduces the advantage of such a tiny gun.

I've also realized that I prefer shooting the dot sight without a rear iron sight. It blocks part of the sight and just having the front sight is all I really need if the sight stops working.

2 weeks ago I shot several IDPA type stages that I set up as practice, as well as a bunch of falling steel without the rear sight and the dot turned off and had no problems.

Last edited:
I have the adapter plate that slides into the rear sight slot for my RMR. It works but is high. I have been keeping my eye out for a used slide for a good price that I could get cut so Id have both options. When I saw this thread I started looking again and actually found glock has a website where they supposedly will let you trade your slide for an MOS slide with the same serial number. The website did have .eu so it may be a european thing but I reached out to then to see what the deal was. I also dont know how they would handle it where I am in Mass.

I have the adapter plate that slides into the rear sight slot for my RMR. It works but is high. I have been keeping my eye out for a used slide for a good price that I could get cut so Id have both options. When I saw this thread I started looking again and actually found glock has a website where they supposedly will let you trade your slide for an MOS slide with the same serial number. The website did have .eu so it may be a european thing but I reached out to then to see what the deal was. I also dont know how they would handle it where I am in Mass.

Slide is a serial numbered part, but NOT a firearm.
Privately owned firearm and no transfer involved, so "THE LIST" doesn't apply.
So being in Massachusetts doesn't change anything.

Can't cut an RMR behind the rear sight ... Unless you want to move the rear sight to the middle of the slide. Would look pretty funny. Might get a sight radius of maybe 3".

correct. Only looks funny because everyone is used to seeing it the other way. At the end of the day its personal preference but I at least suggest looking into it. There are several videos about the pros and cons of each way.

see here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrrlxEwUaRM

If you are putting a red dot on it you really shouldn't be worried about the sight radius unless the dot goes down and if that is a primary concern you should not be putting a dot on a pistol anyways. I trust my RMR. The sights are only there to help co witness but you want primary focus on RMR otherwise why put it on? I cut my slide like this and I love it. in the even the RMR goes down I can still hit the plate rack at 100 feet with decreased sight radius no problem

I got the Romeo 1 Pro for my P320 Legion and tried shooting like "normal" which did not work. Fellow shooters at club helped me out and I was signed up for red dot course at SIG which they took. Course was VERY helpful.

I’ve never shot with a RMR but I am very interested in them. Thinking about sending my slide in to get it cut. What’s everyone’s thoughts on these. I’m 54 so the eyes aren’t what they used to be.

I have an RMR on my G19. I feel like I am cheating when shooting it.

rmr.jpg

Last edited:
What IWB holster do you use with the G17 and RMR on it? I, frankly, found none yet that are convenient or even acceptable - scope really gets in the way.

RMR is great for the range fun, but, to carry it around is a hassle. so, my approach on new guns was to get G17 and a G34 MOS slide, and put Leupold DPP on the latter.
G17 i keep stock with iron night sights and all modifications are done to the G34 only.
old picture below, trigger now is changed to overwatch polyDAT, co-witness sights are done, rod/spring changed.
G34 MOS DP_Pro_2.5.jpg

That's the reason I don't EDC a full-size. G17 with RMR will go in a OWB for SHTF or certain outdoor activities. As well as being my new nightstand pistol once it's setup.

I have a Brownells Gen 4 G17 RMR cut slide never fired. All the internals installed (except barrel), suppressor height night sights. I was going to use it but then got my hands on a Gen 5 MOS. Just sitting in storage. Was debating on throwing it up on the accessories classifieds. If you're interested in it, message me and we can talk business.

What IWB holster do you use with the G17 and RMR on it? I, frankly, found none yet that are convenient or even acceptable - scope really gets in the way.

RMR is great for the range fun, but, to carry it around is a hassle. so, my approach on new guns was to get G17 and a G34 MOS slide, and put Leupold DPP on the latter.
G17 i keep stock with iron night sights and all modifications are done to the G34 only.
old picture below, trigger now is changed to overwatch polyDAT, co-witness sights are done, rod/spring changed.
View attachment 414404
I like that idea of a G 34 slide

I have a Brownells Gen 4 G17 RMR cut slide never fired. All the internals installed (except barrel), suppressor height night sights. I was going to use it but then got my hands on a Gen 5 MOS. Just sitting in storage. Was debating on throwing it up on the accessories classifieds. If you're interested in it, message me and we can talk business.
Will do.

RMR behind rear sight is way to go imo. I've shot both variations, but had mine cut behind and rear sight mounted in front. Much cleaner and faster imo.... which my opinion is worth Nothing lol

Necro-bumping this back up because I'm looking at optic options for a G17/19 setup. Looking at between the Trijicon and Holosun but open to others. Are there any new opinions between the two? Any recommendations for MOA? This isn't going to be long-range, 50' and under.
Thanks in advance.

Necro-bumping this back up because I'm looking at optic options for a G17/19 setup. Looking at between the Trijicon and Holosun but open to others. Are there any new opinions between the two? Any recommendations for MOA? This isn't going to be long-range, 50' and under.
Thanks in advance.
The general consensus is that Holosun is just as good in all aspects and better in quality of the reticle image. They make a solid product and have built on other brands products (because they stole the technology and made it better).

The only down side with Holosun is that its a chicom product. If Holosun was a US based company they would knock eotech and Trijicon holographic sights off the map.

The general consensus is that Holosun is just as good in all aspects and better in quality of the reticle image. They make a solid product and have built on other brands products (because they stole the technology and made it better).

The only down side with Holosun is that its a chicom product. If Holosun was a US based company they would knock eotech and Trijicon holographic sights off the map.
I’ve been hearing some issues with Holosun red dots in the past 6-12 months. They may have started to have more QC issues. But they are also likely pumping out more MRDs than Trijicon, so it could just be the same percentage of issues. Not entirely sure.

I say this as a guy with a handful of Holosuns. I still think they are a good option in general, but no longer recommend them as highly as I have before.

Back
Top Bottom