• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking about my first 1911

Hoping for some guidance from the resident 1911 experts around here. Looking for my first 1911. I’d like it to look at least passingly close to a WWII era 1911. It doesn’t have to be correct down to the minute details, but should have the classic A1 WWII look. It also must work with quality hollow point ammunition, not that it will be carried often but may be occasionally.

I would like to keep it under $800. I’m considering either the Colt Government S70 or S80, the Auto Ordnance 1911a1, and the Springfield Mil Spec. Open to other ideas as well but really want to retain a lot of the WWII look - vertical slide serrations and spur hammer mostly, arched mainspring housing and short trigger secondly.

The Springfield Range Officer is an upgrade from the Mil-Spec and comes in under your price range at $700. I've got one and it shoots extremely well. If I had a re-do I would have spent a little more and got the "Elite Operator" model, as that has a nicer finish and a fiber optic front sight. But still very happy with my RO. I can always upgrade the sight down the road.

I bought a used SW 1911, upgraded it with Wolf Springs and a few Wilson Combat parts, it's my favorite in my collection. With that said, you can get a used one because there are so many options out there to upgrade it.

How about a nice, clean, used Colt for $850? Right here on NES Classifieds.
It's a 80-Series, but has some extras. (Handsome bugger, but may have an idiot mark...)

WTS - Colt 1911 Series 80
thumbnail_img_2217-jpg.277980

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

I am specifically thinking about one of the following two colts:

Colt 1911 1991 Government O1991 |

Or

Colt 1911 Government Series 70 O1970A1CS |

Looks are really important for me on this one, so I’m willing to forego some functional upgrades like beaver tails and the like.

Screw the 1991. Get the Series 70 and don’t look back. Colt tried to bring back the 1911 in a modern package, for the 90s-ish, and there were mixed reviews.

Screw the 1991. Get the Series 70 and don’t look back. Colt tried to bring back the 1911 in a modern package, for the 90s-ish, and there were mixed reviews.
I had read that the series 80 was less desirable than the series 70 but not that they didn’t work. It’s hard to discern between actual problems and internet derping relating to Saint Browning’s anointed design.

How is the S80 worse than the S70, or, rather, how is the S70 better than the S80?

Watch the video I posted in post 37. It will explain the difference.

The Series 80 are great guns. Don't Poo-Poo them because the Purists do...

Watch the video I posted in post 37. It will explain the difference.

The Series 80 are great guns. Don't Poo-Poo them because the Purists do...
Plus you can always convert a series 80 into a series 70 if you want to.

BTW, check out the 1911s from Magnum Research. I have one of their DE1911C models and love it. Got it for under $800 too.

Does anyone have any experience with the Auto Ordnance? There’s a used one at my local shop and it’s only $500. Saving some money to start a nest egg of .45 ammo would be nice but only if the pistol works. I really like the looks a lot.

Does anyone have any experience with the Auto Ordnance? There’s a used one at my local shop and it’s only $500. Saving some money to start a nest egg of .45 ammo would be nice but only if the pistol works. I really like the looks a lot.
From the reading I've done it depends on how old it is. 1990s AO 1911s have a terrible reputation...... Newer ones are ok.

Check the model your looking at against the gun boards online. I see a few NEW auto ordnance 1911 gi models for $488-$530.

Last edited:
From the reading I've done it depends on how old it is. 1990s AO 1911s have a terrible reputation...... Newer ones are ok.

Check the model your looking at against the gun boards online. I see a few NEW auto ordnance 1911 gi models for $488-$530.
Brownells has them for $470 new, so it’s not that great of a deal. The shop that has it though is new and 10 minutes from my house though so if at all possible I’d like to give them my business even if it costs me a little bit more.

I’m probably going to check it out today so I’ll see if they can tell me how old it is.

I have two AO 1911A1’s. Both are great, no issues. Very accurate, reliable. Kinda gave them a quick trigger job as they where not as nice as my Sig 1911’s. Just a little polish and tuning the trigger bow did wonders. They where a million times better out of the box than any plastic gun.

The Springfield Range Officer is an upgrade from the Mil-Spec and comes in under your price range at $700. I've got one and it shoots extremely well. If I had a re-do I would have spent a little more and got the "Elite Operator" model, as that has a nicer finish and a fiber optic front sight. But still very happy with my RO. I can always upgrade the sight down the road.

For front sights, I upgraded mine with Dawson’s and they work fantastic. I’m actually thinking of changing my adjustable sights to fixed.

That elite oprator looks great but man those white letters in the back side kills it for me.

So I handled the Auto Ordnance today, a used model, and it’s condition was a little more rugged than I’m looking for, even at $450. My lgs can get me a new one for 540$, or a Springfield Mil-Spec for $720.

They said they wouldn’t be able to get me either Colt I’m looking for because of something called the Massachusetts Compliance Pistol, Revolver, and Handgun Roster. Has anyone heard of it?

Anyway, I know where I can get the Colts if I want one. The AO felt solid in my hands. The SA seems like a great deal but I can’t get past the serrations. Guess I’ll reread this thread a few times and think it over.

On the upside I bought a box of .45 so now I have to get the pistol eventually.

I have two AO 1911A1’s. Both are great, no issues. Very accurate, reliable. Kinda gave them a quick trigger job as they where not as nice as my Sig 1911’s. Just a little polish and tuning the trigger bow did wonders. They where a million times better out of the box than any plastic gun.
Have you tested them with any hollow points? Do they work?

Never out of the AO. Just ball and my mouse fart loads. Changed the spring to 13lbs for the mouse farts. The sights do suck on them, but if your a point shooter like I am, they do “work”.

Made the wood for them too. I had one, the saw “last man standing” with Bruce Willis, had to have two, and made the holster for them. It’s pretty comfy too.

Attachments

• 9AB405F3-F5D5-4FF8-B2A5-535AEDFA4CA6.jpeg
    9AB405F3-F5D5-4FF8-B2A5-535AEDFA4CA6.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 30
  • BB61D7C3-4A81-43BD-B6D7-15A2FE160E82.jpeg
    BB61D7C3-4A81-43BD-B6D7-15A2FE160E82.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 30
They said they wouldn’t be able to get me either Colt I’m looking for because of something called the Massachusetts Compliance Pistol, Revolver, and Handgun Roster. Has anyone heard of it?
In case you're serious, that's what everyone calls the EOPSS list. Double check, the model you want might be on the Target roster instead...

There are lots of decent 1911's on the market. BUT, whatever you choose, make sure it has a match grade barrel. If you want it to be accurate, it has to have a good barrel. If you just want it for plinking or goofing at the range, buy a Ruger.
And 1911's do not have an external extractor.

In case you're serious, that's what everyone calls the EOPSS list. Double check, the model you want might be on the Target roster instead...
I was just messing with you guys a little, unfortunately my shop was not just messing with me.

The GI sights were really bad, how hard is it to have them changed for some simple three dot sights or some larger blacked out ones?

It is not difficult for a good gunsmith to install new sights. I like the three dot sights myself. Others like different styles.

If you can find examples of various sighting systems to try before you buy, it might help you decide.

Thank you. I’ve learned a lot from this thread and all of you. It sounds like I just have to make a decision!

Pretty much down to the Auto Ordnance or the Colt Series 70 if I want to pay the premium.

Back
Top Bottom