• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking about my first 1911

Hoping for some guidance from the resident 1911 experts around here. Looking for my first 1911. I’d like it to look at least passingly close to a WWII era 1911. It doesn’t have to be correct down to the minute details, but should have the classic A1 WWII look. It also must work with quality hollow point ammunition, not that it will be carried often but may be occasionally.

I would like to keep it under $800. I’m considering either the Colt Government S70 or S80, the Auto Ordnance 1911a1, and the Springfield Mil Spec. Open to other ideas as well but really want to retain a lot of the WWII look - vertical slide serrations and spur hammer mostly, arched mainspring housing and short trigger secondly.

I had the adjustable sight on my Springfield 1911 wiggle off, and didnt want to deal with it. Springfield took care of it fast, their costumer support is quite good.

I dunno. To each their own, but if you want something to shoot, I'd suggest getting one of the really decent packages that are available with all the "modern" upgrades. You can buy a hell of a gun in your price range.
If you must have an "as issued" save up and buy a piece of history.

Stay with a series 70, and i think the RiA or SA would closely resemble an early 1911 from the factory.

All i shoot is zero185jhp, and ive never had an issue feeding them.

Dont be afraid to tear into it and learn it. Parts are cheap and plenty. And , post a pic when you do decide.

Ruger SR1911. I have two and they are great.

The SA is probably a good bet also, tho I've never had one and cannot make a first-person analysis/

Don't count out sig. I've had my sig 1911 since September. I shoot it 2-3 times a week in pins and plates and the thing has never malfunctioned a single time in 6 months of that frequency of shooting. It's as accurate as any 1911.

Any Remington, should you buy one, must be a post early 2018 bankruptcy manufacture or the QC will be hit or miss. Mid 2018 production onward has much better quality control under the new ownership and production management. Remington moved their production to a new factory down south and ejecting the former Freedom Group management for competent people took time.

This will most likely give you hammer bite. Get a real 1911, Colt.

+1. My 1911 Competition Stainless is one of my favorite guns. Built like a Mack truck, accurate, reliable, and that classic 1911 shape.

Just wait till you start to think about your second or third 1911.

Also +1. I bought my Colt, then a second Colt. Am thinking about adding a third custom built 1911, and a Sig. I kind of want one in 9mm, but in my mind, all 1911s are 45ACP. Maybe then I’ll get it out of my system.

Don't count out sig. I've had my sig 1911 since September. I shoot it 2-3 times a week in pins and plates and the thing has never malfunctioned a single time in 6 months of that frequency of shooting. It's as accurate as any 1911.

I’m really digging the Sig version. I’ve heard it’s reliable and very easy to shoot because it manages recoil well.

Colts seem to multipl In my house. Especially series 70s for some reason LOL.

Find a nice used one, they hold their value if you decide it’s not for you.

+1. My 1911 Competition Stainless is one of my favorite guns. Built like a Mack truck, accurate, reliable, and that classic 1911 shape.

Also +1. I bought my Colt, then a second Colt. Am thinking about adding a third custom built 1911, and a Sig. I kind of want one in 9mm, but in my mind, all 1911s are 45ACP. Maybe then I’ll get it out of my system.

I’m really digging the Sig version. I’ve heard it’s reliable and very easy to shoot because it manages recoil well.

You're not the only one.

I purchased the tacops edition. Not because it's "tacops" lol

I liked the sights and the flair magwell as well as the charcoal nitron finish. The stock grips I'm ok with but will upgrade to some g10 eventually. The thing just runs......have never had a hiccup using all kinds of factory ammo. The original sig 1911s they came out with years ago I was not a fan of purely on looks......they went with the slide beveling that mimicked their signature design and it didn't look like a 1911 should look. They fixed that and now they look like a 1911......and they are reliable as hell and shoot well.

When I bought my sig the clerk tried to perk my interest in a used sti. Ah...no....as amazing as they are I don't have the patience to reload to find ammo that will run. Every guy I know that runs an sti 1911 took a long time of trial and error to get a load that would run it reliably. I like guns I can just run out of the box and the sig definitely filled that role.

My buddy has had great luck with his performance center Smith 1911....his colt m45a1......he's ready to put that pos through a scrapper. He's sent it back 2 times now and it still chokes constantly

Last edited:
Do you want something that looks like a WWII-era 1911A1? Then buy a WWII-era 1911A1.
Do you just want a 1911? Then buy a good, modern 1911 like a Springfield Range Officer. You'll never sell or trade it.

The problem with spending money on a modern, WWII look-alike is that you'll always wish it was the real thing. Meanwhile, you're struggling with ancient, hard to see sights, etc.

Back
Top Bottom