Thinking about HAM and not thanksgivin kind

maxdogk911

NES Member
I'm thinking about getting into HAM radios and looking for some advise. Where in the western part of the state would I take the initial exam, is there a club in the area that administers or over see's the test? As you can tell, I know nothing about this stuff. I did get licensed for my GMRS set up (Jeep installs) witch I have several radio's from 5 to 40 watt. But I am kind of a prepper and retired LEO, so this is of interest to me. Thanks in advance.

Internet search for Amatuer Radio Clubs near me. Their websites will tell you where and when. Or ARRL website.
From my experience they were super nice old timers and very encouraging.
Got my tech first and general a month later.
(They offered to let me take the general after the tech test at no cost if I didn't pass)

I'm thinking about getting into HAM radios and looking for some advise. Where in the western part of the state would I take the initial exam, ...

Might as well use the zip-code radius search.

I got my Tech license by taking a paid class, but for my General I had decided to just do some self study before taking the exam. At the time I discovered Dave Casler's (KE0OG) youtube channel and his training videos were a fantastic resource in augmenting my reading of the chapters in the AARL study guide. His videos basically follow the book. Here's his page for the Technician's license. There are links to his Youtube videos there as well as some other information and links to resources.

I also live in Western MA and I took a class that was offered for free through the Radio Museum in Windsor CT. Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of CT

It was a 10 week course and what I really like about it is they covered the technicians license (where you start) in detail and will show various aspects, antennas, construction, radio towers, etc. To me there is nothing like seeing things in real life to understand how it's done.

Then to pass the test I took the online one over and over and over again until I could pass it with my eyes closed, and used the class to fill in the gaps with real life practical knowledge.

In the past the Hampden County Radio Association (www.hcra.org) gave test monthly at Holyoke hospital but that's been suspended due to covid according to the website. You might want to check with them. Currently you can find monthly tests at the radio museum in Windsor, Ct and at the fire house in Portland, Ct. using the search at www.arrl.org.

I used www.hamexam.org to study online. It's free to sign up and they keep track of your progress.
WB2ESF

Thanks Guys and ladies. All good info and I'm going to check into each one. I'm not one to sit back when I want to get something done, so I'll be looking to move forward as soon as possible. But I am presently selling my house and moving into a new one prior to the end of Dec. Not an excuse if I can't get it done asap, but a reason. ;)

Thanks Guys and ladies. All good info and I'm going to check into each one. I'm not one to sit back when I want to get something done, so I'll be looking to move forward as soon as possible. But I am presently selling my house and moving into a new one prior to the end of Dec. Not an excuse if I can't get it done asap, but a reason. ;)

Make sure you get enough land at your new house for a dedicated ham shack lol. Solar power it too.

Hey John. Moving from Chester to Ware, so we are close. Grew up in Wilbraham. Good old Minnechaug. Still go there often.

Vettegirl I'm going from 8 acres down to three. Plenty of room, less maintenance.

You can try listening here to see what's going on with the Brandmeister DMR network. Talkgroups 91 (worldwide) and 3100 (USA) are the busiest. Group 3125 is Mass. You can see from the dashboard which groups are active at any given time.

Hoseline

I'll give you a little inside info that 99% of hams don't seem to know - Brandmeister is a German word for fire chief. What that has to do with ham DMR I don't know.

Get your General license first time. The Tec license is worthless. You’ll always be wanting.
Get it out of the way on day one. Just takes a little more studying. No more code test.
AE1Y
I heard that if you pass the tech portion that they may ask you if you wanted to also take three general as well, same day.

Also if you want to do the 2-day class and exam online, Nashua Area Radio Society is offering the Tech class in February, General in March and Extra in April. My Wife plans on doing the Tech class in February and I hope to do the Extra class in April.

Note: NARS isn't doing any classes or meetings in person until Covid is over, maybe 5-10 years from now. So everything is done online these days.

Also if you want to do the 2-day class and exam online, Nashua Area Radio Society is offering the Tech class in February, General in March and Extra in April. My Wife plans on doing the Tech class in February and I hope to do the Extra class in April.

Note: NARS isn't doing any classes or meetings in person until Covid is over, maybe 5-10 years from now. So everything is done online these days.
GSARA (Manchester) and C-ARES (Concord) are running in-person exams in January, if you prefer that format.

I'm working on getting classes/cram session offerings going (at least for Technician) in Manchester in early 2022.

Y'know, I really should upgrade mine to General. I'm actually kinda surprised the twins (esp. Betsey) haven't been on my case about it.
As recently as late 2003,
the General test differed from the Technician test
mainly in degree - not in kind.

Amateur Extra was a bit more esoteric, but not much.
And it had nothing to do with the larger question pool -
just a few more fringe topics.

Go for it.

P. S. Name dropper...

Back
Top Bottom