1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Thinking about calling Mass Save

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikelawtown, Oct 20, 2017.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Had them come today for an assessment and replaced bulbs with LED, gave me 2 Surge protectors and ordered the attic insulation/Air sealing and walk up ladder cover for a total of 265.00 installed. I also received the rebate form for 3,000 on the boiler and 350 for a new washer. Not bad

andrew1220 likes this.

2. guycrunch

guycrunch NES Member

I had the audit done, they replaced almost every bulb in the house and left two me high-tech power strips. my gas boiler is 50 years old so they left me the rebate form. After five quotes I have decided to have a Bosch Greenstar wall mounted boiler installed. I filled out all the necessary paperwork and filed for the zero percent loan tonight. It was a very easy procedure, but I did scan all the documents into one .pdf form. We'll see how long to get approved.
    I was very shocked at the quotes I received, $14,600 to $11,600, much more than I had anticipated.

mikelawtown likes this.
  3. zboys

zboys NES Member

How many zones do you have?, And you are not adding an indirect correct?
    What area you in.
    I just finished a Greenstar 2 zone install for $8600.

4. guycrunch

guycrunch NES Member

three zones, Bosch Greenstar 151 combi wall mount, ZWB42-3, three Taco high effecientcy zone valves, Grundfos Alpha circulator. includes installation, permits, removal of old boiler and water heater. I'm in the Lowell area, do you come out that way?

5. NickyB

NickyB

I will be giving them a call again. My burner is from 77, Im hesitant on getting a new one simply because we may put an addition on in the near future.

6. Knob Creek

Knob Creek NES Member

I got some LED bulbs but they won't work in certain light sockets. It seems like the threaded section of the bulb is not long enough for some sockets.

7. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

You need to watch the contractors they use.

They did some sloppy work on my mother's house.

W.E.C likes this.
  8. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Doing the heating system or insulation

9. Ranger007

Ranger007 NES Member

Wife and I did it in OCT. Home is 10 years old and we are getting our attic sealed, more insulation added and bathroom exhaust vents relocated for dirt cheap. Used a 150 rebate and got a new fridge and got a plethura of LED bulbs. We are happy not a bad program.

10. Ranger007

Ranger007 NES Member

Lol lol that’s 1.

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

How did they do the bathroom venting? Mine is on the list to get done but curious on what they are going to do. I don't have one there now and not really wanting to go through the roof

12. Ranger007

Ranger007 NES Member

I said getting lol. I’ll let you know when that phase is complete. Scheduled for 18 JAN.

13. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Bad pics but just had the Attic done and was 265.00 out of pocket.
    Spray foamed all the cracks at floor where walls meet up. Also put in the attic door dome (Essentially an Insulated box)

Attached Files:

Point37 and andrew1220 like this.
  14. MarkT

MarkT NES Member

Blowing the dust off this thread.

We just had a Mass Save energy audit done. This was probably the fourth since we bought the house. In the past we've had air seal, attic insulation, new bulbs, thermostats, etc. We've always had to pay some out-of-pocket, but always with decent savings.

This year we are having blown-in wall insulation done (which I've wanted for a while). The job is $3600 and we have to pay $0.

Apparently, Columbia gas is covering the difference for anyone who lives in one of the affected areas during the gas crisis this past fall. I encourage anyone who is a Columbia gas customer to have an audit done. There are probably additional savings if you need other work done.

My wife called me during the audit to tell me he was installing two Nest thermostats before I told her no f'ing way. So if you aren't concerned about Google listening in on you, you could also get free Nest Thermostats.

Mass Save

Mark T

15. George D

George D NES Member

I did it last year. Door seals, attic stairs box, whole house fan box, 2 bathroom vents through the roof, replaced some soffet vent peices, full blown in insulation in the attic, sill seams in basement. Total cost was $3,828 and my portion of it was $440. After the work was done, Mass Save came out to do a re-inspection of the contractor's work. Pretty glad I did it.

JayMcB and mikelawtown like this.
  16. daddysuperfly

daddysuperfly

Currently in the process of getting the work order. Did be getting R-60 blown into the attic and air sealing everywhere. Vapor barrier in the basement as well

17. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

Insulation

18. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

This is definitely a good program. I steer a lot of my customers into it. I am not a contractor for MassSave but I am happy to help my customers save some $$. And they end up spending more money on their other projects that I do for them. And I don't have to do the crappy draft stop/ insulating work. Win - Win - Win

MarkT likes this.
  19. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

How many times or how often can you have them come out?

I always thought it was a one time thing

20. MarkT

MarkT NES Member

Once every year.

21. daddysuperfly

daddysuperfly

I thought it was once every two years.

22. SLG6056

SLG6056 NES Member

Used them to get a new boiler and water heater for my mom. She got a huge rebate, energy evaluation, free LED bulbs and a offer for insulation work at a very good price. I would not hesitate to use them.

23. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Hmmm. Might have them come next year or the year after to look at my HVAC. It's 20 yrs old and uses the "old" "bad" refrigerant. Which means a new A-frame which means it's probably just better to buy a whole new system and connect it to the existing ducts.

24. daddysuperfly

daddysuperfly

I asked about HVAC. The energy auditor basically only offered mini-splits because of their efficiency. Let me know if you find someone willing to do a traditional HVAC with an air handler. I'd like that over the mini-splits because I could add humidity and not have tubes stuck to the side of my house.

25. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Really??? Well that sucks ass. I've got probably an 85% (maybe 90%) efficient furnace with a A-frame on top. They'll replace someone's water heater and boiler, but not an existing FHA system with AC??

I'm gonna have to investigate. Although I'll feel rather stupid. Almost every bulb in my house is LED. I've got an extra 8" of insulation in my attic. Door seals are fresh and well maintained. Water heater is a Rinnai. All of this done slowly over the last 5-8 years. The only thing I DON'T have is the little tent over the attic door. But it's INSIDE A CLOSET. So I'm not worried about cold air pouring out of it.