• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking about an inexpensive rifle or shotgun for the home.

hillman

NES Member
Now, I'm not saying the zombies are coming. I'm not saying they aren't. But I am thinking either way, my fiance won't take zombies as a good reason to shell out money for a new gun.

Either way, I'm thinking about getting an inexpensive rifle or shotgun to add to my zombie defense...er, I mean my collection.

So far I've seen some really inexpensive AK type rifles around (Zenks had a couple last time I was in for under $400), or maybe a 12 guage pump shotgun, which I have seen several places for under $350. Either one would serve my purpose of just having something with more punch for home defense.

Any suggestions? I won't say my maximum is $500. But I won't say it's not!

Thanks.

*again, thanks. I really do know how to spell gauge. I was typing quickly while my puppy was gnawing on my elbwo.

KIDDING! It's Elbow!

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, I've been thinking about a Remington 870 12 guage lately. I have no shotgun so this would be a first and it's strictly for social engagements. Not hunting with it. FS has they for $330 right now and that would be $313.50 this weekend sans tax. Also, they say that if they don't have it in when you get there, you can pay for it in full ($313.50) and they will call you when it's in so you'd still get the savings.

A used pump by a major maker in good condition would be the cost-effective solution to your HD needs.

Look for Ithaca 37's, Mossberg 500's (better still, a 5901) or Remington 870 in 12 gauge.

A used pump by a major maker in good condition would be the cost-effective solution to your HD needs.

Look for Ithaca 37's, Mossberg 500's (better still, a 5901) or Remington 870 in 12 gauge.

Wow, I thought I was the only Ithaca fan out here! I have 4 of them.

I have a Mossberg special purpose 500, I love it. I believe I paid $285 for it about 4 years ago. Great gun! I love it for home defense. Its a solid shooter and I find it fits me very well. Also I love the all black look [grin]

Note: For home defense. Only an old Ithaca (37) enables you to hold the trigger and just pump to fire fast. It may not be the smartest thing to do, but it sure is fun.

Note: For home defense. Only an old Ithaca (37) enables you to hold the trigger and just pump to fire fast. It may not be the smartest thing to do, but it sure is fun.

Correct. The Ithaca 87 looks the same, but has a disconnector.

So does the Winchester Model 12....
And 1897 or clone[smile]

trencha.jpg

Another inexpensive gun that you might want to consider for defending your home from zombies and other assorted baddies is a Hi-Point carbine
I bought a 995-B 9mm NIB for $168, this gun has been an unbelieveable value, it simply shoots without fail and is dead accuate. I spent about $60 on accessories (Butt pad with 2 extra 10r mags -$43 and a muzzle break\compensator -$16) and look forward to shooting it everytime I go out.
Good for home defense and hella fun on the range too ;)

My 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1 is my home defense weapon. Four Seasons has 2 Mossberg 500s listed under $200, 2 under $250 and 2 Remington 870s under $300.

I'd recommend a Winchester 1300. They are pretty cheap and you can change out things if you want. I threw a folding stock on mine so I have the option to shoulder it or not.

Good advice from Scrivner...BTW I always liked Ithaca shotguns. Remember the 10 ga LE shotgun that they came out with back in the '70's? I believe it was called the Roadblocker and it was a formidible piece of ordnance. Ithaca 12 ga police riot guns were standard issue with the LAPD for years.

Another shotgun to consider on the used market for home defense is the Winchester Defender in the now discontinued 1300 series. Admitedly not the equal of a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590, it was a relatively inexpensive and efficient shotgun to have around. I have one and have found it to be quite satisfactory in all respects so I would echo drumenigma's comments. There is also another brand marketed by Mossberg but made in Texas that I have never seen for sale in Massachusetts called Maverick. These were inexpensive, but seemed decent for home protection use. You might find one of those on the used market.

I definitely would look at the used market first, as there appears to be a lot of good choices reasonably priced.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Check out Dick's. They have new Mossbergs from 200 up, and the home defense models for $300 (short barrel, 9-shot mag)

+1 on Dick's Sporting Goods.

They didn't stock the Mossberg 500 Home Security/Field Combo in which I was interested, but they had it in the special order book. $259.99 for a wood stock, pistol grip kit, home defense barrel, and field barrel. Perfect for me as a first foray into shotguns--cheap, and easily set up for zombies or clays. [wink]

Ordered this afternoon, paid in full to take advantage of the tax holiday.

Back
Top Bottom