• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking 7.62 x 39

I love 7.62x39.

SKS, vz58 are my favorites. Got a PSA AR in 76.2x39 too. Thing is solid. No issues at all for a range gun. My AR snob friends love it.

I had great luck with the century vz2008, vz58 parts on new century receiver. Those were going for 399 with 5 mags just a few years ago.

Sks are probably my fav though. Beaters can turn out nice with a little love: 20170729_022449.jpg

For something to mess around with at the range?
You can't go wrong with the SKS
Not that I don't like my AK, but the Romanian SKS I have will ding the 6" gong at 100 yards all day.

I love 7.62x39.

SKS, vz58 are my favorites. Got a PSA AR in 76.2x39 too. Thing is solid. No issues at all for a range gun. My AR snob friends love it.

I had great luck with the century vz2008, vz58 parts on new century receiver. Those were going for 399 with 5 mags just a few years ago.

Sks are probably my fav though. Beaters can turn out nice with a little love:View attachment 310191
That's a nice looking sks

I think Rob at AKOU just finished a 5000rd test of a VZ58.

The PSA KS-47 takes AK mags. A 7.62 AR is going to be a potential reliability headache depending on mags.

I don't get the obssession with running steel ammo, although plenty of people do in mini 30s I do not run anything other than brass in any gun I own. If its worth keeping its worth 10 cents a round for brass.. buy your brass ammo in bulk when prices are cheap, stack it deep.

AKs are great, so are Mini 30s. Personally I think a mini is a higher quality firearm than any similar priced AK.. mini 30 = cold hammer forged barrel, solid one piece receiver etc.. come in stainless if you want even for a very modest price increase. Made in NH even. No reason to bash them.

Reportedly ARs in Russian are not very reliable, a toy at best, if you want that caliber-ish go 300blk in an AR.

Last edited:
AK only, everything else is a waste of time. I would say SKS, but most of them are way overpriced at this point.

-Mike

+1, there's the AK and then everything else that happens to be x39.

If they weren't so expensive, I'd probably have a Vz58. Cool looking guns. The cheapest I see them is $1200 though and in a free state you can get a lot with that kind of money.
The phenolic ones look great:

I'm going to respectfully dissent from my pro-Vz. 58 colleagues and point out that the ergo's, for me, are a little below average in comparison to most other Cold War era guns like an AK, FAL, AR, or M1A (and I dislike the AK's ergos, too damned short LOP). While Vz. 58 mags are inexpensive, around $20 for surplus, they aren't and never will be AK mags - despite being better than AK mags, they're not compatible with AK mags, which creates a logistic issue.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you want to mount an optic. Do the ones floating around in ye olde Commonwealth have side mount bases and are able to accept a RS Regulate mount? Most modern AKs have mounting bases already.

An AR in 7.62 x 39 is just a dumb idea waiting to happen. There's no standardized magazine, IIRC. Dumpster fires.

-Mike

Again, +1. You're taking the worst part from each platform and combining them.

That's a purtty thing.
Is it looking for a home?

If you do that to a SKS, the ghost of Sergei Simonov will come and yell "NYET, RIFLE IS FINE!"

wALYIqq.jpg

I don't get the obssession with running steel ammo, although plenty of people do in mini 30s I do not run anything other than brass in any gun I own.

Its cheap. Cheaper than investing in reloading equipment that may or may not exist. x39 has been in the US commercially for 40 years now, give or take. Steel cased ammo used to be the only viable option for most of the Russian calibers like x39, 5.45x39 (probably still true here), x54r, maybe 9x18 back in the 90s?, etc.

The only gun I know of where steel cased ammo will be a serious concern is the FAL. Steel .308 will kaboom in FALs.

AIM has matching Chinese AK's for $410.

SKS. I meant SKS. I'm such a dolt. LOL

Last edited:
Ak or sks I picked up an nice type 56 a few years ago it's not pretty but it shoots awesome still looking for an ak to add to my collection

The "modern" SKS is not mine, been thinking about it, but here is some info: Best SKS Stocks [Aftermarket, Tactical and Replacement] - 2019 Guide
Available at Brownells

1572616263267.png

That's a purtty thing.
Is it looking for a home?

i never shoot my sks for whatever reason and i haven't gotten around to buying AKs since moving to freedom. This, however, is very interesting. Any links to the kit or more info? I'd love to convert to mag fed with a rail.

Anyone have good process to convert to mag fed? I guess you need to do that before changing to any of these stocks/bullpups etc.

Not surprised that all the AK and SKS instructional vids on YT seem to be filmed in 240dpi by a shaky handed dude who uses a mic about 10 ft away.

Asking, not arguing - really? What was Colt throwing in the box when they were selling those?

Weird stuff, or low cap stuff, because every one of those guns I've seen for sale always had this melange of crap with it. So whatever colt was selling had to be
difficult to find or expensive. They usually looked like this...

frankenmag.jpg

You can see from here the obvious problem is obvious.

Cartridges like 5.45 x 39 and 7.62 x 39 were not designed to be used in guns like this that have straight mag feed towers. The shape of the cartridge leads to a dimensional
stacking thing. Even the mags depicted above, although they probably work, are best described as "still f***ing weird" and you can imagine the mechanical nightmare going
on inside that shit in the top part of the magazine. *shudder*. You know how you pick up one of those shitty doublestack 10 round cripplemags for (glock, HK, whatever?) and you
fill it (to capacity) with ammo, and you can still hear the ammo rattling around slightly in the mag? Imagine that same kind of f***ery, except with a RIFLE CARTRIDGE that's like 2.5 times as long.... [laugh]

I remember when S&W or someone like that had this big pomp and circumstance about a 545 x 39 AR they were releasing. Everyones moisture count elevated because at the time
545 was brutally, brutally cheap, as in like $150 for 1000 rounds or less. Then as time went by the silence became deafening. I'm guessing this is because it got produced and it
sucked, or they just didn't make a lot, or any, because it sucked. Otherwise everyone and their brothers uncle would have bought one, with the cheap ammo and what not.

For me this stuff is firmly in the "looks cool, but actually probably sucks" realm. But it's like anything else, as far as I'm concerned this isn't much different
than like guys who like actually sleeping with crazy broads. I don't have the tolerance or patience for that kind of garbage, but if someone else does, go for it... be my guest. [laugh]

-Mike

I don't get the obssession with running steel ammo, although plenty of people do in mini 30s I do not run anything other than brass in any gun I own. If its worth keeping its worth 10 cents a round for brass.. buy your brass ammo in bulk when prices are cheap, stack it deep.

Because for 7.62 x 39 and 5.45 x 39 it is literally 99% (or more!) of the ammo available on the market. Brass cased 7.62 x 39 isn't even sold in a lot of gun stores. On the other hand steel cased is everywhere. The only time anyone ever used brass for those guns in bulk was when there was a supply shortage about a decade or so ago that resulted in like an 8 month restriction in
ammo imports into the US.

These guns were practically DESIGNED to work with that ammo. You would be hard pressed to find any 7.62 x 39 better than Golden Tiger anyways, for general use.

The only reason I would ever run brass in an AK or SKS is if I was buying something like Jacketed Soft Points or something like that.

-Mike

Weird stuff, or low cap stuff, because every one of those guns I've seen for sale always had this melange of crap with it. So whatever colt was selling had to be
difficult to find or expensive. They usually looked like this...

View attachment 310270

You can see from here the obvious problem is obvious.

Cartridges like 5.45 x 39 and 7.62 x 39 were not designed to be used in guns like this that have straight mag feed towers. The shape of the cartridge leads to a dimensional
stacking thing. Even the mags depicted above, although they probably work, are best described as "still f***ing weird" and you can imagine the mechanical nightmare going
on inside that shit in the top part of the magazine. *shudder*. You know how you pick up one of those shitty doublestack 10 round cripplemags for (glock, HK, whatever?) and you
fill it (to capacity) with ammo, and you can still hear the ammo rattling around slightly in the mag? Imagine that same kind of f***ery, except with a RIFLE CARTRIDGE that's like 2.5 times as long.... [laugh]

I remember when S&W or someone like that had this big pomp and circumstance about a 545 x 39 AR they were releasing. Everyones moisture count elevated because at the time
545 was brutally, brutally cheap, as in like $150 for 1000 rounds or less. Then as time went by the silence became deafening. I'm guessing this is because it got produced and it
sucked, or they just didn't make a lot, or any, because it sucked. Otherwise everyone and their brothers uncle would have bought one, with the cheap ammo and what not.

For me this stuff is firmly in the "looks cool, but actually probably sucks" realm. But it's like anything else, as far as I'm concerned this isn't much different
than like guys who like actually sleeping with crazy broads. I don't have the tolerance or patience for that kind of garbage, but if someone else does, go for it... be my guest. [laugh]

-Mike
But crazy broads are fun!
Nobody said you gotta keep it.

AK, I have an Arsenal and a C39v2, I don't know why everyone hates on the century AK's so bad, I've shot mine a lot and the wear is no worse than my Arsenal. If you aren't torture testing them on a daily basis, running them dry and full of sand, C39v2 is a solid buy. I would love a nice pre ban Polytech or something but prices are getting pretty crazy.

SKS is always good, but they are too expensive now for what they are.

sks can be had between $350-500. Ive owned many norinco's and have never had a single issue. The norinco sks and ak's are extremely durable. If you find an ffl who would be willing to do it, you can still find some mak90's ak on gunbroker for $800

Or buy a Saiga and convert it to an AK platform. WASA 10....... had a few and they were junk. My milled receiver Arsenals are by far the best IMHO. However they are in the high price range. I have two VZ's and they are great, however I purchased mine when they were $500.00 with four magazines in the original magazine pouch.

AR in 7.62x39 is trash. aside from magazine's not playing nice with the heavily tapered cartridge, the bolt face ends up too weak and frequently sheers lugs or extractors. stay away.

Ruger American in 7.62 it looks like a nice little unit.

i got one and LOVE it. far more accurate than any AK and easier for optics mounting, lighytweight setup, overall winner if cool with a bolt action.

Or buy a Saiga and convert it to an AK platform. WASA 10....... had a few and they were junk. My milled receiver Arsenals are by far the best IMHO. However they are in the high price range. I have two VZ's and they are great, however I purchased mine when they were $500.00 with four magazines in the original magazine pouch.
WASA 10 - different than the WASR recommended by another user in a post above?

Back
Top Bottom