1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Think that Verizon worker is who he is???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by terraformer, Jul 22, 2013.

1. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

From the dissent in COMMONWEALTH vs. Justin TATUM, SJC-11167 (2013)

2. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Is this case being tried right now or is it an old case? I'm curious if the court will allow the evidence(sadly i'm pretty sure the courts will side with the cops).

3. josh2600

josh2600

4. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

You could tell if he was a cop if he shot the dog. Jack.

5. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

Searching the names involved (COMMONWEALTH vs. Justin TATUM) leads you to this thread (result number 2). Searching the case number provides the Case Docket: Mass Appellate Courts - Public Case Information

This thread is result number 8 under the case docket number search.

6. Dench

Dench

[rofl]

so they think the work around to a search warrant is to pretend you work for someone else?

7. davemata

davemata

We might find this is true.

8. DarrenL

DarrenL NES Member

"A police officer disguised as a Verizon worker entered upon the curtilage of the house without a search warrant and, as a result, confirmed they could get to play warrior with all the cool tactical gear and full auto weapons they bought."

FIFY

9. n1bsbri

n1bsbri NES Member

Are police allowed to lie? - Police Encounters - Know My Rights

That only works if you know they are the Po-Po.

10. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

The opinion was just published this morning.

Doesn't surprise me for right now. But this decision is full of fail and I would hope it will eventually get more attention. They basically said that the search was unconstitutional, but only the homeowner (who wasn't charged) can raise a challenge to the search, so therefore the defendant(s as two of three were charged) mentioned in the above case is SOL. This is opening up a huge loophole for unconstitutional searches by letting the cops simply not charge the homeowner when they want someone else inside the house. The homeowner will never challenge these because why the hell would they want to open pandora's box.

11. Dench

Dench

12. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

Um, that kind of a loophole would totally **** over anyone who rents if I am thinking about it correctly...

13. bullseye

bullseye NES Member

Grid 17S with bugout longterm shelter and great fi
    Sort of like that girl working the corner is really not a girl working the corner.

14. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

This is covered by another plank of 4A law. If you rent, you are the person who has dominion over the property. There are exceptions to this, but generally this is covered. This is more likely to become an issue in the drug war where the cops now wait for the perp to leave his house and instead raid the house of someone he visits. Combine with the militarization of the cops we have in the modern drug war and now swat teams may start raiding homes of people not affiliated with the underlying crimes. I mean, really, what is the likelihood that one knows there is an active warrant against a house guest? Can you say for certain that isn't the case for your last house guests?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  15. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

Very different problem. Someone working the corner does not have the authority of a multi-national corporation behind them. This is eroding what little trust people have of the world around them. Yeah, you pretty much figure VZ will screw you over in the bill, but you don't expect (at least not until now) that allowing a VZ sales drone onto your property to result in a swat team.

16. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    Now the Watertown searches make sense.

17. Coyote33

Coyote33

Yeah, but in the end, it wasn't VZ in the first place; it was an imposter. Funny how they made it illegal to impersonate a cop. Actually, not funny at all. Some pigs are more equal?

18. Another_David

Another_David

There was an incident a while back where the police posed as fire fighters and/or EMTs. I think it was for a surprise--no knock warrant. I forget the details exactly but whomever they posed as were not pleased at all.

19. partyboy424

partyboy424

When we used to go ATV'ng growing up (in MA, you can guess how legal it may or may not have been) Police used to go undercover as injured dirt bikers on the side of the trail. Pretty sad when you have to go home thinking that guy on the side of the trail may have had a broken ankle and spent the night stranded miles from anywhere because he could've been a cop who would impound your $7,000 ATV on trails that were made by ATV'rs legally and then taken away from them so yuppies could pave them..

20. taz-2005

taz-2005

Or the high and tight haircut. The goose stepping might have as well if he was statie.

21. rhuarc3

rhuarc3

Why would you let a random Verizon employee in your home? Especially if you have no problems and didnt call for service. Sounds like a bunch if dumbasses involved.

Todd

2 people like this.
  22. center442

center442 NES Member

Is it true that just before they hit the door with the battering ram they called out "Can you hear me now?"

1 person likes this.
  23. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

I knew a guy that was a cabbie in Fall River. One day I was talking to him and another cab pulled up, said something quick, then drove away really fast. he started laughing and said "that's actually a cop 'undercover' in a 'cab'(it was an FRPD cop car painted to look like a Yellowcab.

24. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

The cop dressed as a Verizon worker didn't enter the house, he entered the curtilage of the house.

25. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Forget it, Jake; it's the SJC.

26. Coyote33

Coyote33

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
  27. Wrench75

Wrench75

That is pretty ****ed up. A cop is a cop I don't care if they are wearing a clown costume. I can't wait too see what there reasoning is. It will be something alone the lines of, the cop could have come on the property to do a "safety check", or some such bullshit, and the outfit was just so they didn't scare off the bad guy...

28. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

What would make this great is if Verizon sued the involved PD and DA for dragging them into this.

29. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger NES Member

Sort of sounds like Humphries who was convicted of illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition despite having neither. Only his untried accomplice could raise the defense of having a license.

The correct term is "common night walker". (don't ask me why I know this). Which raised the question of what is an 'uncommon' night walker?

The OP's case is a little different as the fake Verizon employees was not executing a warrant - they were gather probably cause to get the warrant.

Someone trying to scam the Boston One Fund was taken down by a trooper posing as a FedEx delivery man.

Ever since Florida v. Jardines, curtalige had become one of my favorite words that I never get to use.

2 people like this.
  30. quincy

quincy NES Member

Didn't they do this on the "Soprano's" when they bugged T's house? Must be ok if it's on TV or in NJ.