• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Think I was sold a Mass non-compliance firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly new to firearms so im learning new things as I go. Being a little naive, there is a certain level of trust you put in those with years more experience.

Last week I went shopping for a summer EDC. Local shop showed me a used Walther PPS. It had everything I needed for caliber and size. So I purchased it. I get home and research the pistol and look for a holster. I noticed the pistol had all the features of the M2.

Not seeing anywhere that the M2 is mass compliant as of yet. Maybe all generations are but I know Mass is picky with model numbers.

Just wondering what my next step is. Return for credit?

Just enjoy your gun. mAss compliance has nothing to do with what you can own, only what an FFL can transfer to you. If the shop transferred you something not approved, that is on them and does not impact you.
This. If you like it and the mags are 10 rds or under, you're good to go.
Mass Compliance is a dealer issue.

Literally the only hurdle you have to get over for "compliance" is getting an FFL to transfer you the gun. You passed that hurdle, there is no future issue of compliance for possession.

Agree with the above. If you feel uncomfortable having it even though the FFL is responsible, then speak to them about a trade for something in stock that is explicitly on the approved roster.

Agree with the above. If you feel uncomfortable having it even though the FFL is responsible, then speak to them about a trade for something in stock that is explicitly on the approved roster.
Screw that, it's Massachusetts so toss it up in the classifieds for 87x that of the free state price.

I agree with the above and also know someone that bought a PPQ M2 a couple of years ago new from a MA dealer....

941.gif

It certainly is a helluva way to start your NES career though. No disrespect on the OP, but about 2 minutes of Google work would provide the same intel. Not "live" but the same info. So it sort of makes you suspicious.

THAT said, I'm the freaking KING of internet searches. I never ask a question until I've spent hours researching a topic. So I'm a bit (lol) over the top the other way.

Thanks for the quick responses. I fully expected some flaming. Comes with the territory. No hurt feelings. I'm sure there will come a day where I know enough that the only reason to post here that makes everyone happy is bashing liberal politicians.

I had zero plans on outing the shop. Not my MO. If there was an issue based on info I got here, I would have handled it privately.

Thanks for the quick responses. I fully expected some flaming. Comes with the territory. No hurt feelings. I'm sure there will come a day where I know enough that the only reason to post here that makes everyone happy is bashing liberal politicians.

I had zero plans on outing the shop. Not my MO. If there was an issue based on info I got here, I would have handled it privately.

giphy.gif

Curious why you think it’s not Mass ok. Most people looking at the roster would see Walther PPS on it and assume it is.

I know how mass can be crazy about model numbers so was just making sure. I knew that I would get good honest answers with some cynical forum grumps thrown in. So I'm happy

If the gun shop didn't know it was a M2 you can bet your bottom taxed and sent to the dole dollar the AG's office can't.

Gratz for getting a newer M2, don't let anyone tell you you can't have/use/whatever it, it's totally fine.

If the gun shop didn't know it was a M2 you can bet your bottom taxed and sent to the dole dollar the AG's office can't.

Gratz for getting a newer M2, don't let anyone tell you you can't have/use/whatever it, it's totally fine.

Really though? I was actually questioning in my mind how one would be confused over them. The M2 has those weird (but comfortable, so I've heard) bulbous protrusions on the sides of the grip. The original is more blocky. The original had a paddle mag release by the base. The M2 has a freedom release.

I know how mass can be crazy about model numbers so was just making sure. I knew that I would get good honest answers with some cynical forum grumps thrown in. So I'm happy

OP's comments about the forum are concerning and suspicious.

Have any of you window-lickers ever stopped to consider that a firearm might not be compliant with the regulations of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts because that firearm is patently unsafe, as evidenced by its lack of certain safety features? I'm shocked and appalled that anyone would even want a gun that our state government officials hadn't blessed. Even if I didn't live in Massachusetts I would screen all my future firearm purchases through the MA list (lists?) to make absolutely certain that I wasn't buying an accident waiting to happen. Hell, I even modified my great grandfather's WWI-issued 1911 modified to include a loaded chamber indicator. If the Commonwealth says it's critically important who the hell am I to question it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom