• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Things to do while waiting for LTC-A to be printed?

Buy cleaning supplies (brushes, patches, bore snake, Hoppe's #9, oil and/or grease, teflon cloth), an assortment of targets, a nice range bag, ear and eye protection, "SWAG" like a cool zombiemax t-shirt (just in case).

Review training videos. Watch every Hickok45 review on Youtube

Join GOAL, Comm2A, and SAF (and others that suit your interests)

Then, research, research, research and kill a lot of time on NES.

Have fun and be safe!
I haven't even thought about the cleaning supplies! Can anyone recommend a good pistol/rifle cleaning kit available from amazon?

My son just turned 30 and has decided to get his permit. Approved, no problem. That was almost 7 weeks ago. Not sure what else he can do other than continue to call the station for updates. Seems a bit long huh?

Buy cleaning supplies (brushes, patches, bore snake, Hoppe's #9, oil and/or grease, teflon cloth), an assortment of targets, a nice range bag, ear and eye protection, "SWAG" like a cool zombiemax t-shirt (just in case).

Review training videos. Watch every Hickok45 review on Youtube

Join GOAL, Comm2A, and SAF (and others that suit your interests)

Then, research, research, research and kill a lot of time on NES.

Have fun and be safe!

I haven't even thought about the cleaning supplies! Can anyone recommend a good pistol/rifle cleaning kit available from amazon?

Are you planning to shoot rifles, pistols, shotgun, or a combination? I like the bore snakes. They work really well, and you can get one for each caliber. Go to a LGS, or to Dick's or BassPro. You can get a whole kit, or buy a-la-cart items to make your own. For pistol cleaning, I use Q-tips as much as anything else (with Hoppe's #9 or CLP)

Thought of a few other things:
If you've decided on what handgun you'll be buying, you could get your holster, and a good gun belt.
staple gun & staples for putting up targets
extra ear protection for anyone you take to the range as a guest
spotting scope and a bipod or sandbags (if you think you'll get into rifle shooting)
Did someone mention a safe or locking cabinet?
under-the-car-seat lockbox for when you need to secure a handgun to run into the (e.g.) post office, etc.
Are you going to get into hunting? If so, there are a million things you might want, starting with a good back pack.

Converted saiga12's are a no-no in MA. Unfortunately it falls under the AWB once you put a pistol grip on it.
That's a bummer, I thought an AK74 was legal in MA?

AK47 & AK74 rifles are legal in MA as long as it's not configured to MA's definition of an assault weapon. You however cannot have a converted Saiga 12 gauge because it will have at least two or more of the following AWB features:

Shotguns:
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

AWB FAQ: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/157704-MA-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-AWB-quot-FAQ

For the OP's questions, just keep researching whatever firearm you want to purchase first, whether handgun, rifle, or shotgun, make sure you have the proper storage for the firearm and method to transport the firearm (range bag/rifle bag/locks/etc). Then start shopping around, check out the local gun stores near you. It also doesn't hurt to travel to some LGS a bit further away to see what they have for inventory and see how well things are priced. (E.g. I also live close to Boston too but I still end up driving out to Worcester to check out Pullman Arms every now and then since they sometimes have hard to find firearms.) Last, if you've made up your mind stick with it until you find the firearm of your choice. When I received my LTC, most LGS's didn't have the handgun that I wanted so I gave in and just bought another firearm that the store recommended (M&P 40). It was a decent handgun but just not my cup of tea. If you're not sure about a handgun, wait until you get your LTC and go to places like Mass Firearms School to try out different firearms. It never hurts to try something before you buy...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom