'They don't feel safe': NYC schools see huge surge in seizures of guns

Reptile

NES Member

'They don't feel safe': NYC schools see huge surge in seizures of guns, tasers and pepper spray among students who fear for their life as shootings of those under 18 skyrockets in city​

• Police have seized 787 weapons from New York City schools since July 1, 2021
  • Officials have also received reports of 84 tasers and 224 other weapons discovered in educational institutions
  • The students who were caught bringing weapons to school cited concerns over safety during their commutes
  • This comes as New York City grapples with an increase in visible, violent crime, including horrific subway and street attacks
  • Experts allege students 'don't feel safe as they transition through multiple communities traveling to school'

Since July 1??? How many of these gun-toting characters are going to school in July and August??? Couldn't they just say"since the school year began"????

'They don't feel safe': NYC schools see huge surge in seizures of guns, tasers and pepper spray among students who fear for their life as shootings of those under 18 skyrockets in city​

• Police have seized 787 weapons from New York City schools since July 1, 2021
  • Officials have also received reports of 84 tasers and 224 other weapons discovered in educational institutions
  • The students who were caught bringing weapons to school cited concerns over safety during their commutes
  • This comes as New York City grapples with an increase in visible, violent crime, including horrific subway and street attacks
  • Experts allege students 'don't feel safe as they transition through multiple communities traveling to school'
Either do the kids , thats why they are arming themselves

Meh, weak.

In the 1970's, the NY Daily News was replete with stories of school shootings.

Actual on-campus violence was so bad that the NYC teacher's union
distributed a self-defense pamphlet to their membership.

A contemporary ad Bic campaign said that the classic Cristal pen
had a point that was tough enough to open a can of soda and keep on writing.
The union pointed out to teachers that the pen could also be used to open up
their student's face as a defense against robbery, battery and rape.
The Daily News snarfed a copy and published the excerpt.

And since there is nothing new under the sun,
consider carefully whether the guns are actually being carried in self-defense,
or that's just the chosen cover narrative from some Brevard-style program
to end the school-to-prison pipeline. The youts may themselves just be enrolled
in the traditional NYC your-wallet-to-their-wallet subway platform transfer payment scheme.

Anyone remember Welcome Back Kotter? Good Times??? I think people watch them shows today and think, "those are some creative sets." No. That was school and home in inner-city NYC back in the day.

Deah Misttah Kattahh. . .

OoohhJayyymmezzzz!!!!!!

Sorry. I never got Good Times. It just seemed so exploitive.

“There have been 24 school shootings this year, 16 since August 1. There have been 82 school shootings since 2018. The COVID-19 pandemic appears to have interrupted the trend line. The 2020 figure, with 10 shootings, was significantly lower than 2019 and 2018, which each had 24.

With 6 million+ K-12 students in the US, the school shooting and guns-in-schools statistics are vanishingly small. There are on the average ~125 school transportation fatalities yearly, indicating student are way more likely to die on the way to or from school than be shot dead in a school shooting.

In fact, 787 K-12 student caught with guns in schools just in NYC and 16 school shootings nationwide suggests defensive gun carry by children is surprising benign.

A ~2% student violent victimization rate reported by NCES in 2019 was likely an underreporting, but school shootings are certainly not underreported - 2% x 6 million is 120,000 students violently victimized in schools. If school officials can only seize weapons from them but not protect them, we’re right back to the SCOTUS NYSRPA argument that “sensitive places” where guns can be banned are places where such places (court houses, government buildings, etc.) have security to protect those disarmed.

EAAFAC64-B7D7-410F-9980-8E0D6B1E93FE.jpeg

Anyone remember Welcome Back Kotter? Good Times??? I think people watch them shows today and think, "those are some creative sets." No. That was school and home in inner-city NYC back in the day.

OoohhJayyymmezzzz!!!!!!

You hit it right, pure exploitation for the yuck yucks. I remember reading about this show a few years back as I watched it as a kid and went down an online rabbit hole one day searching the actors. Esther rolle got the part of the mother and refused to do the show if it didn’t show a father figure in the house. She wanted it to be a show that would provide positive role models for her community, while still dealing with social issues of the time, so she insisted on john amos being there as her husband. She and Amos became disillusioned at the buffoonery of the show as it went on, where the eldest son was jobless and lacked education and the producers made JJ say “Dy-no-mite” every show just for the whoops. When John Amos had enough, the producers canned him and killed his character, getting the fatherless black family that they wanted to begin with. It feels like Rolle and Amos were shoveling sh*t against the tide in trying to normalize a black nuclear family, but that didn’t fit in with the war on poverty where you got little or no welfare benefits if there was a man in the household. Prior to the war on poverty black marriages had a much lower rate of divorce than every other group, but, a family getting benefits is harder to control than a “single“ mother with kids who is reliant on the government for everything.

OoohhJayyymmezzzz!!!!!!

Good Times was actually trying to show the real world problems that faced poor working inner city families faced. It's hard to imagine a family with both parents living in the projects where they aren't getting government assistance. Compare it to now when you have generational welfare families where the woman will say that she doesn't know who fathered the kids so they can max out benefits.

You can buy an axe online too. The problem is and will always be YBMs. Jack.

Axe me how. Exspeshully if you want a good deal. LOL

That bugs the CRAP out of me. Axe and Expeshully. Almost as bad as when people talk about length, width and heighth. HIYTH???? Are you sure???? I had a business partner years ago who used to say, "No if's, and's, or's or but's." "WHAT???" He would also talk about dangerous ground not as land mines but as LAN minds. ROFL!!!!

That bugs the CRAP out of me. Axe and Expeshully. Almost as bad as when people talk about length, width and heighth. HIYTH???? Are you sure???? I had a business partner years ago who used to say, "No if's, and's, or's or but's." "WHAT???" He would also talk about dangerous ground not as land mines but as LAN minds. ROFL!!!!
Heighth I'll forgive - it's archaic, but technically a correctly used word. The rest? 100% with you.

Since July 1??? How many of these gun-toting characters are going to school in July and August??? Couldn't they just say"since the school year began"????
these are the misfits that fail and need to take 'summer school' to keep up with the half brains that marginally passed.

Holding out for the Speling Police to take down an Incidence Report.

Back
Top Bottom