There is a Santa Claus - his name is Best Buy

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Best Buy - ordered item wrong item sent - what is legal obligation on me

I ordered a $20 item on Black Friday from Best Buy as well as a $100 disk drive.
The box arrived today.

The disk drive is there but the $20 item is not, instead there is a $350 item. The big item is something I had thought about getting for one of my sons but told him since I recently bought some guns it wasn't going to happen.

Guns before kids! - Priorities!

Today the box shows up with the big item exactly what I wanted to order for my son but didn't want to spend the money for a game.

I know if I get a magazine in the mail or someone sends me something I didn't order I am not obligated to return it or pay for it, but I think legally I cannot use it, have to leave it in the box.

For you lawyers and lawyer wanna-be's what are my obligations?

Scarecrow

Army Veteran
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Best Buy - ordered item wrong item sent - what is legal obligation on me

I ordered a $20 item on Black Friday from Best Buy as well as a $100 disk drive.
The box arrived today.

The disk drive is there but the $20 item is not, instead there is a $350 item. The big item is something I had thought about getting for one of my sons but told him since I recently bought some guns it wasn't going to happen.

Guns before kids! - Priorities!

Today the box shows up with the big item exactly what I wanted to order for my son but didn't want to spend the money for a game.

I know if I get a magazine in the mail or someone sends me something I didn't order I am not obligated to return it or pay for it, but I think legally I cannot use it, have to leave it in the box.

For you lawyers and lawyer wanna-be's what are my obligations?
Legally, or morally?

Morally, karma is a mother heffer and she will bite you right in the ass for keeping something you did not earn.

No idea on the legal aspect.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My policy on things like this: well, first off wait to see if they figure it out...but:

Small local store: Bring it back and make it right.

Big chain like Best Buy or WMT: Fawk em, their loss my gain, thanks big box.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.6%
40   1   0
Obligated to NOT post about this online... [wink]
Obligated to do as your conscious dictates.

You could reach out to BB to inform them that you didn't receive the order as placed. If they want you to return the item you didn't order, I would demand that they send you a return label with the item you did order. Or issue a pick-up to get back the item you didn't order. Basically, have it cost you $0 to correct their ****-up.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Does the receipt list the item? If not then they probably have no record of where it went and aren't coming after you.

- - - Updated - - -

My policy on things like this: well, first off wait to see if they figure it out...but:

Sure thing, Robin Hood.

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does the receipt list the item? If not then they probably have no record of where it went and aren't coming after you.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure thing, Robin Hood.

Morally I should return it, but...

the receipt doesn't show it, it shows the two things I ordered.

the other day I ordered a display case for the gun show, they sent me 2 by mistake, I called them and told them to send me a Fedex label and I would return it. they are a small store

BB has screwed me on frequent buyer points, on computer repairs etc.

I think I will let it sit for 3 weeks and see if they figure it out. Probably someone in shipping who just got Obama's amnesty and still can speak or read english and grabbed the wrong item.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Legally, you are under no obligation to return it, and it is unlikely Best Buy will come after you for it.

This could be a great opportunity to demonstrate morality vs. opportunism to your children, specifically in teaching them what the right decision would be in this situation.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Strange world we live in where a person needs the opinions of strangers on the internet to tell him whats the right thing to do.

The really scary thing is that these people breed.
I think it's really more the fact that this is a MESSAGE board, and it's a fun conversation piece. [rolleyes]

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would call them and have them send you a return label.

A few years ago my brother-in-law received 2 butt kickers for his gaming setup, but ordered one. When he called to tell them what happened they said "Thanks for letting us know; keep the 2nd one, it's cheap for us to write it off than it is to have it picked up." Sometimes honesty pays.

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think it's really more the fact that this is a MESSAGE board, and it's a fun conversation piece. [rolleyes]
I think you nailed it, we throw things at the wall to see the reactions.

Not long ago I drove 10 miles back to the bank to return $5, because they gave me $5 too much when I made a withdrawal. I find it interesting to see peoples thoughts.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I don't think there is a real question here. It doesn't matter what big box stores have done in the past. It is property that doesn't belong to you. By keeping it you aren't sticking it to the man you are showing all of us here that you feel entitled to something you didn't earn and you aren't any different from the free shit army that we all agree are morally bankrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My personal opinion, call the customer service line and report what happened. If they want it shipped back, they should pay for the shipping. If they don't want it back, you at least checked with the rightful owner before deciding to keep it.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0

wow

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Morally I should return it, but...

the receipt doesn't show it, it shows the two things I ordered.

the other day I ordered a display case for the gun show, they sent me 2 by mistake, I called them and told them to send me a Fedex label and I would return it. they are a small store

BB has screwed me on frequent buyer points, on computer repairs etc.

I think I will let it sit for 3 weeks and see if they figure it out. Probably someone in shipping who just got Obama's amnesty and still can speak or read english and grabbed the wrong item.
so you only do the right thing when you like whoever made the mistake?

There had been talk about tearing down our neighborhood to put up a big box store, we managed to fight that, but living near a highway that can always happen.
you fought the big box store but then support other big box stores?

this thread has my head all tied up like a pretzel

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
if you sent someone something you weren't supposed to, would you want them to be honest and tell you about your mistake?

I received an extra BCG from a poorly managed company, same order number on both packing slips. I called, told them about the error, they said they would get a return setup for me, 2 days no response, I followed up, no response ever since, free BCG for me

but I wouldn't be able to just keep it without saying anything, I've worked in shipping/warehouse and had my job saved by honest customers before

Last edited:

tpm

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple of years ago, UPS dropped off a Xbox box on the front porch. I looked at the label and it was actually supposed to go to the house next door. I walked over and gave it to them, I didn't think about keeping it just because somebody else made a mistake.

Top Bottom