• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

There are two types of range officers.

LOL...we allow it.....but like your place....don't wake up the neighborhood with it, and don't be stupid and put it in anything that could produce shrapnel

We had some old Fudds try and shut it down, same Fudds that tried to stop rapid fire......they got outvoted.

Honestly, at my club it's the disheveled boomers that are the worst muzzle sweepers. Nose picking 60 year old with a stained shirt is a guaranteed muzzle sweeper. [rofl]

Maybe so, but at least let me uncase my damn rifle before you bitch at me about sweeping you.

To be fair, I don't think that was an RO, I think it was just a grumpy old douche who went crazy that I was sweeping him with my cased rifle (rectangle, so I may not have been). Ignoring him didn't help but telling him to f&&k off did.

Another reason I love sand pits so much more than ranges.

Maybe so, but at least let me uncase my damn rifle before you bitch at me about sweeping you.

To be fair, I don't think that was an RO, I think it was just a grumpy old douche who went crazy that I was sweeping him with my cased rifle (rectangle, so I may not have been). Ignoring him didn't help but telling him to f&&k off did.

Another reason I love sand pits so much more than ranges.
Iā€™ve never been swept more times than on a trap range.

LOL...we allow it.....but like your place....don't wake up the neighborhood with it, and don't be stupid and put it in anything that could produce shrapnel

We had some old Fudds try and shut it down, same Fudds that tried to stop rapid fire......they got outvoted.
It's fun stuff to use every now and then. Even a quarter pound makes a hell of a boom. I put it between 2 clay targets and duct tape the shit out of it then set them on the 50 yard berm. BOOOOOM!

Holy lord....there are ranges and RO's out there that care about what's on a paper target, or the shape of a steel target????

WTF....only in MA......could a "gun" guy be that fxcking retarded.

I mean, we shoot steel of any shape, zombie paper targets, bad guy targets, hostage targets with actual people pictures on them, .....what in the fxck? Its a piece of paper with a picture on it.
Some will find any reason to flex their Ohhh-thority!
This is how my club is run. I have no problem with it. I'm sure the same people end up showing up again and again to all the work parties, and they might feel differently than I do. But I don't mind paying the extra when it's not convenient for me to head in and dig ditches
The other problem is when you show up to help and all the rest that are there, just use their shovels as a leg of a tripod to keep themselves upright while watching you sweat. This is what happened to a friend of mine.
I experienced something similar when trying to prep the grounds of the local Little League baseball fields that my kids were going to be playing on for the season. It was the last time I fell for that trick. Whether I had to work that scheduled weekend or not, I always said I was working!

That's a bit differenrt......the gun is broken open when they use those toe rests ain't no way the gun can go off. But I get your point.
We have a older guy that shoots at the club, he loads the O/U gun that way rested on his boot. He still has all his toes. Mainly does this because of habit and I think he has a bad back.
We have another older guy who doesn't shoot anymore, but was a very active trap shooter in his day, but he is also missing his big toe on his right foot.

Muzzle in a safe direction is the best way.

I will admit if your loading an O/U at some point the barrels are pointing at your feet when its open. But I don't like to rest it on my feet. I really don't like to rest the muzzle on anything...its from the basics of hunting and not sticking your muzzle in the ground or snow, because it could blow up if you plug it and shoot a round.

Saw a guy at rhe trap range take his autoloader, put the but on the ground.....put his hand over the muzzle and rest his chin on his hand once. f***ing idiot.
Trap and Skeet seem to have carved out an exception to "never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy:

1685558346976.png 1685558367577.png

We had 6ā€ square rubber horse mats that are about 3/4ā€ think to rest our barrels on some clubs had nothing to the foot would have to be used.
I never seen a loaded gun resting on anybodyā€™s foot ever.

I suppose I should be nervous at the direction my loaded guns in drawers are pointing with some of you.

Every skeet range iā€™ve shot at has very strict protocols regarding loaded firearms. Essentially you load ONLY when on the concrete about to shoot, you load a max of two shells, and you clear your firearm before you step out.

My over/under is left open, clearly empty, unless Iā€™m the shooter and in place.

Every skeet range iā€™ve shot at has very strict protocols regarding loaded firearms. Essentially you load ONLY when on the concrete about to shoot, you load a max of two shells, and you clear your firearm before you step out.

My over/under is left open, clearly empty, unless Iā€™m the shooter and in place.
Load before itā€™s your turn to shoot and you will be quickly asked to leave for good god damn reason.

Pretty much standard practice, load only when you shoot, on the pad.

Guys with autoloaders we sometimes load up 4 and shoot 2 doubles on report. Not a big deal.

Shoot Glocks with rat shot on station 8....

Hip shoot low house at station 7.

Get off pad and walk real close to the high house on Station 8 to shoot quick fast birds right out of the house......

All can be done safely. But some of the stuff we do would make a lot of skeet fudds lose their minds.

Last edited:
Shotgun guys: "Don't worry, it's not loaded!"

I must have missed the exception for expensive clays guns when it comes to gun safety.
Coming from shooting uspsa and getting into clay shooting, shotgun guys can be pretty relaxed handling their guns, but bottom line if the gun is cracked open it is safe,
if that kind of behavior makes you nervous try going to a gun show.
auto loaders are a bit different, but don't see to many of those

Coming from shooting uspsa and getting into clay shooting, shotgun guys can be pretty relaxed handling their guns, but bottom line if the gun is cracked open it is safe,
if that kind of behavior makes you nervous try going to a gun show.
auto loaders are a bit different, but don't see to many of those
I ran a AL391 Trap with a shell catcher. If my gun was not on or right nearby my left shoulder the bolt was open every single time. It stayed open until I was ready to call for the bird.
I do remember when I first started on the team and being horrified at the appearance of guns waving all over the damn place. Fact is nobody was waving any loaded guns. I donā€™t poop my pants when someone is uncasing their guns either.

I have loaded guns all over my house because I can and we donā€™t have kids.
My hammers are in tool boxes. An unloaded gun is just an expensive hammer.

Shotgun guys: "Don't worry, it's not loaded!"

I must have missed the exception for expensive clays guns when it comes to gun safety.
There are safety protocols for organized shooting sports, (and often informal ones for informal gatherings); the protocols for skeet are different than those for USPSA/IDPA/PCSL.

Different doesnā€™t mean incorrect.

Eh, sounds like slide back mag out. There are many scenarios where a gun canā€™t fire, but you treat it otherwise to form good habits.

I am so grateful that I have a back yard range and donā€™t have to deal with that sort of BS.

I am the RO at my range so I yell at myself when I do something stupid. :)

Don't sweep yourself! I'm an RO at my club, as is basically anyone else who wants to shoot on their own. Otherwise, you need to find an RO to "supervise".

Eh, sounds like slide back mag out. There are many scenarios where a gun canā€™t fire, but you treat it otherwise to form good habits.
Are suggesting OU guns need to be handled differently in the clay shooting sports? Or moving about with a cracked open gun is a bad habit? Maybe we need to hire a caddy like golf to follow Us around with a bag

Ya [rofl]

Someone needed to tell that to the guy who blew a hole through the side of trap house wall (from the inside) a few years ago at WSA.
My buddy brings a friend to the trap range to give him a try at it about 15 or so years ago. Super nice guy and a lot of fun.
Heā€™s on station and loads his pump gun but unfortunately his booger finger is on the trigger and when he closes the action the gun goes off right next to his foot into the lawn. After shitting ourselves and nobody was hurt he earned the nick name Digger.
I havenā€™t seen them in a few years but Iā€™m betting the name is his for the rest of his life. šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚

Are suggesting OU guns need to be handled differently in the clay shooting sports? Or moving about with a cracked open gun is a bad habit? Maybe we need to hire a caddy like golf to follow Us around with a bag
No, Iā€™m suggesting no matter what kind of gun it is, you donā€™t point it at something you donā€™t want to destroy.

Back
Top Bottom