• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

There are two types of range officers.

I don't go around looking to bust people's ass either.

Every time I'm at the club I circulate around to all the ranges and see who is there.
a very typical self-contradiction, and a reason to not join clubs with ROs culture in place.

i want NO ONE to circle around me, no matter the reasons.

and shooting at my targets that I put out
i can top your story, somewhat.
i was at the 100yds at harvard, shooting at my stuff, then a guy came around, i gave him time to setup while i swapped my rifles, cleaned, prepped mags, wanted to shoot and - did not see my targets.
got VERY confused, and it appeared that the guy unstapled my targets and moved them to the other stand. [rofl]
I politely :) asked him - dude, did you just move my targets? he got extremely embarrassed - and it was partially on me, as it was one of those days when no one typicaly shows up there at all, so i had 2 stands used - and he thought it was a leftover stuff.

but, it was one of a kind experience. :) no ill doing/intent there, though, sometimes it is just an honest mistake, so to say.

i can top your story, somewhat.
i was at the 100yds at harvard, shooting at my stuff, then a guy came around, i gave him time to setup while i swapped my rifles, cleaned, prepped mags, wanted to shoot and - did not see my targets.
got VERY confused, and it appeared that the guy unstapled my targets and moved them to the other stand. [rofl]
I politely :) asked him - dude, did you just move my targets? he got extremely embarrassed - and it was partially on me, as it was one of those days when no one typicaly shows up there at all, so i had 2 stands used - and he thought it was a leftover stuff.

but, it was one of a kind experience. :) no ill doing/intent there, though, sometimes it is just an honest mistake, so to say.
I can see that happening....and like you said no big deal on one like that.

I had a guy piss me off shooting at my steel one time. I had 2 each 8 inch plates at the 50 yard line that I had freshly painted. Had my brother as a guest sighting in his muzzle loader for deer season. Figured I'd just use fresh painted steel for a little more "fun". Had just come back from setting them put and painting them. I'm with my brother who's in the process of charging and loading his omega.......guy walks in......sets his AR on the table next to us......loads it and just starts blasting at my plates. Both of them. I didn't even have time to realize what henwas doing until he started ringing my steel. I yelled cease fire cease fire.......he looks over and I said bud those are my plates......generally I don't mind letting folks shoot my steel......if they ask first......I just painted those cuz were gonna zero this muzzle loader. He said oh sorry I was just doing a quick function test anyway.....clears the rifle packs it up and leaves. 🤬

Now THAT.....was a dick move lol

If there is a need for a RO, that range is more than likely not a place to be at! Many years ago, my range NEEDED to have a RO present for the weekends. I quickly saw why, packed up, and vowed never again to go on a weekend! I also learned to avoid public ranges on weekends, school holidays, and school vacations, especially spring break! It is not enjoyable being around young twenty somethings and their girlfriends when they wave around and / or muzzle sweep you with fully loaded AR's and AK's!

The other statements regarding "respecting their knowledge and OH-thority" can be true also. There is nothing worse than receiving unwanted and unsolicited advice or dealing with someone on a power trip!

a very typical self-contradiction, and a reason to not join clubs with ROs culture in place.

i want NO ONE to circle around me, no matter the reasons.

I don't "circle around" people bothering them. I never bother people or approach them unless there are issues. All I will say is if you don't like it leave.

I have spent thousands of hours making sure the club stays open, the bills are paid and the ranges are in good condition. I'm the old guy with one leg spending his time fixing all the backstop, walls, floors, ceilings etc. that others have shot to sh!t. I'm the guy who loads my lawn mower in the back of the truck and goes to the club to cut the grass. Some one has to do all the work and that buys me the right to go around, without disturbing people, to check on the conditions of the club and make sure things are OK. If you don't want me around then vote me out of office or off the BOD. Oh yeah, that's right. I have run unopposed for office for since 2018 because so many people want to do the job without pay and then take sh!t from people who only show up a few times a year to shoot.

I don't "circle around" people bothering them. I never bother people or approach them unless there are issues. All I will say is if you don't like it leave.

I have spent thousands of hours making sure the club stays open, the bills are paid and the ranges are in good condition. I'm the old guy with one leg spending his time fixing all the backstop, walls, floors, ceilings etc. that others have shot to sh!t. I'm the guy who loads my lawn mower in the back of the truck and goes to the club to cut the grass. Some one has to do all the work and that buys me the right to go around, without disturbing people, to check on the conditions of the club and make sure things are OK. If you don't want me around then vote me out of office or off the BOD. Oh yeah, that's right. I have run unopposed for office for since 2018 because so many people want to do the job without pay and then take sh!t from people who only show up a few times a year to shoot.
you have a right to be pissed, as i have a right to object a system with good cops, as long as it also allows bad cops to exist within it.
the issue is not with an individual, but with the system itself.

"Hey buddy, you have to wait 5 Seconds between each shot and you can only load eight rounds in your magazine"

Decades ago we were members of Danvers Fish and Game. Talk about range Nazis. They would get the old retired guys there during the day during the week and run it like a little fifedom.
I left Danvers years ago because of the range officers. Several times I showed up to shoot and they were a no-show. Unacceptable to not be able to shoot at a private club you pay money to be a member of.

"Hey buddy, you have to wait 5 Seconds between each shot and you can only load eight rounds in your magazine"

Decades ago we were members of Danvers Fish and Game. Talk about range Nazis. They would get the old retired guys there during the day during the week and run it like a little fifedom.
I've heard the same .
Bad , real bad.
My friend who is a good natured as soul as it gets went ballistic on one of the Nazis there because the guy started screaming at his
Grandson because his foot came within a couple of inches of the white line.

Sounds to me like the people in your club suck if they let an old guy with one leg do all the work. And if your club doesn't take in enough money to buy a lawn mower or pay for the lawn to be done your dues are too low. Not trying to be a dick, but we wouldn't let anyone use their own equipment for anything but the two cleanup days we have yearly.

Basic maintenance on grounds is done with club equipment, and we try to mix it up as much as possible with different people. Old retired guys have more time, we have a few that do chores to keep themselves busy and active......its certainly appreciated and we let them know it...........but its a cycle. When I'm older and retired I'll do extra stuff and won't bitch about it either, if I'm a club member somewhere. Now, Im a bit younger, but I'll be the guy framing and roofing the new pistol enclosure we are making, or building elevated archery stands for the archery range, while the older guys are sitting on the tractor mowing the lawn. But doing the work way over and above my hours doesn't buy my right to anything.......

Doing the work buys you the right is a little bit of fifedom attitude....no offense meant, by it.

The overall fact that you have a RO could be why you have a shitty membership base......many guys won't stand for having a RO in place.

Doing the work buys you the right is a little bit of fifedom attitude....no offense meant, by it.

The overall fact that you have a RO could be why you have a shitty membership base......many guys won't stand for having a RO in place.
In a private club, a member in good standing should be outlined in the bylaws, Regardless of the volunteer work, or what you donate to the club, it doesn't put you in a spot to be more powerful than others or receive special treatment.

Sounds to me like the people in your club suck if they let an old guy with one leg do all the work. And if your club doesn't take in enough money to buy a lawn mower or pay for the lawn to be done your dues are too low. Not trying to be a dick, but we wouldn't let anyone use their own equipment for anything but the two cleanup days we have yearly.

I do not mind doing the work. I just wish more people would chip in an help. As far as club equipment, the lawn mower was several years ago. About 3 years ago we did buy a nice zero turn for the club and that is what I use now. I use my own equipment and tools all the time for club work. Makes my life easier than looking around trying to find tools at the club. Once again no one is making me do it.

Basic maintenance on grounds is done with club equipment, and we try to mix it up as much as possible with different people. Old retired guys have more time, we have a few that do chores to keep themselves busy and active......its certainly appreciated and we let them know it...........but its a cycle. When I'm older and retired I'll do extra stuff and won't bitch about it either, if I'm a club member somewhere. Now, Im a bit younger, but I'll be the guy framing and roofing the new pistol enclosure we are making, or building elevated archery stands for the archery range, while the older guys are sitting on the tractor mowing the lawn. But doing the work way over and above my hours doesn't buy my right to anything.......

We try and schedule work days and recruit workers for specific projects. I wish more younger guys would show up. The only time I bitch about working is when guys commit to show up and work and then pull a no show without even a text saying they can't make it.

My fifedom attitude is in my head. If you were around and saw me you would know that I do my best to treat all the members courteously and with respect. One time years and years ago when I was new on the BOD I treated a guy kind of crappy. He showed up at the BOD meeting and complained. Then he spread it around the club that I was an ass. It took me a long time and a lot of work to rebuild my reputation and I'll never let that happen again.

Many things can be said about the club but a "shitty membership base" is not one of them. We have over 2k paying members however in reality we have around 300 active members I would estimate. I guess I did not make it clear. We have a CRO and a bunch of ROs however there is NO required RO to shoot. No ROs have any scheduled hours. Members show up and shoot as they please within the operating hours.

Last edited:
That’s the new normal. People can’t even call a doctors office even though there’s signs everywhere that you will be billed anyway for no shows and you expect them to give you a heads up on a volunteer basis?

I thought you were smarter than that. 😝
Can't blame you there. That's just bad manners.

I belonged to a club that was five minutes away. Always shot during the week in mornings so I could practice and not be bothered. Club President would always show up and make a big deal that he was there. There is a locked gate you have to enter and you lock it behind you so no unauthorized people come on property. I had belonged for nearly 30 years and Mr. President would always come next to me and stand waiting for me to look at him. Are you a member he would always ask? No my truck knows how to jump the gate, what do you think Ed. Finally I said I will fix the problem, you can keep the club be the only member I'll rejoin when you die. Turned my application in yesterday.

Sounds like a bunch of over aged hall monitors, the range equivalent of HOA nazi faggots.
Stereotypical Loop/fudd club garbage. Basically they only exist that way because lazebags tolerate harassment from those people, simply because they’re too lazy to drive away from the problem. Sadly if it wasn’t for the cup/townie laze factor, most of those places would be turned into blocks of condos or houses.

I belonged to a club that was five minutes away. Always shot during the week in mornings so I could practice and not be bothered. Club President would always show up and make a big deal that he was there. There is a locked gate you have to enter and you lock it behind you so no unauthorized people come on property. I had belonged for nearly 30 years and Mr. President would always come next to me and stand waiting for me to look at him. Are you a member he would always ask? No my truck knows how to jump the gate, what do you think Ed. Finally I said I will fix the problem, you can keep the club be the only member I'll rejoin when you die. Turned my application in yesterday.

10/10….

View: https://youtu.be/APgrUnNQPQw

Many things can be said about the club but a "shitty membership base" is not one of them. We have over 2k paying members however in reality we have around 300 active members I would estimate. I guess I did not make it clear. We have a CRO and a bunch of ROs however there is NO required RO to shoot. No ROs have any scheduled hours. Members show up and shoot as they please within the operating hours.
300 active members? How is it you do all the work? How big is the club?

2K people paying in membership dues and your mowing lawn with your own equipment and fixing ranges because no one else does?? Does not compute......I'd bet your yearly take in dues is 10X what my club is with less land. How is it possible to take in nearly 300K a year in dues only and not buy a lawn mower, or just sub it out????

Christ, we have about 35 active members out of 250 total on 350 acres, with an active skeet and trap range open to public, archery range and pheasant hunting, youth programs, and normal yearly programs and we get most stuff done. We have our own club equipment with a spending budget of less than 60K a year, only half of it, about 30K per year taken in membership dues. There could be more hands but for the most part it the basics get done, and not by one person.

Last edited:
We try and schedule work days and recruit workers for specific projects. I wish more younger guys would show up. The only time I bitch about working is when guys commit to show up and work and then pull a no show without even a text saying they can't make it.
This happens everywhere and is normal standard practice lately......especially with people that "struggle" to make their minimum work hours. They show up half the time. Its rude, and people shouldn't commit to things they cannot do.

However, younger people also have more family commitments and things like that, than they can commit time to a sportsmans club.

When I was younger, its one of the reasons I did minimum hours to maintain membership only. I did my minimum hours, but people at the club barely knew me. I was busy working and weekends I was coaching or being present at baseball, football and soccer and helping raising kids and fixing houses and cars. Working at a sportsmans club was low on the list of important priorities.

Now that I'm older and kids are out of the house, I spend more time at the club. But Im certainly not going to knock a younger person for not being a club rat. They have better things to do with their time.

300 active members? How is it you do all the work? How big is the club? 2K people paying in membership dues and your mowing lawn with your own equipment and fixing ranges because no one else does?? Does not compute......

I never claimed to do "all" the work. What i said was I do a ton/lot of work. As far as mowing the lawn with my own equipment, believe what you want but until about 3 years ago that was the case. Sure. Trap had a lawn mower and they kept it locked up and I didn't have a key and when I asked to use it they would act like I was the biggest pain in the ass around. Half the time it wouldn't start or there was no gas so it was just easier and quicker to use my mower.

On the outdoor pistol range it is pretty much me. I recruit people as I can but I have rebuilt and maintained the ricochet catcher for the last 3 or 4 years. I have repaired the baffles for the last 3 or 4 years. I have been cutting the grass, not exclusively, since 2015. I have also built at least 100 or more target stands for that range over the years.

Down at the black powder range I have been cutting the grass, once again not exclusively, since 2015. I also trim all the brush on the berms a few times each season.

Indoor range I don't do a ton but I have cleaned the place a lot of times and assisted with painting the walls and floors. Also did some repair work on the walls and ventilation system ducts when they got shot.

Trap ranges and High power I do nothing unless some one has scheduled a work party and I am participating.

In addition I have all the work of running the IDPA program since 2016, running the Club Around Shoot since 2019 and whatever else I end doing as a club officers besides the BOD and membership meetings.

Yes hard to believe out of 2k paying members on club cleanup day we had maybe 50 - 60 people and 10 or 15 of them were new members looking to put in the work requirements to join.

I'm not trying to BS you. I never said I did all the work but there are about 20 to 40 people who do 90+% of the work and maintenance and I'm one of them. Believe me or not but I'm pretty much done discussing this. I've busted my ass for years for WSA and I don't have to defend myself to anyone.

Last edited:
I left Danvers years ago because of the range officers. Several times I showed up to shoot and they were a no-show. Unacceptable to not be able to shoot at a private club you pay money to be a member of.
There have been a few posts here about some RO's at Danvers who were so bad the posts were removed. The truth hurt that much apparently.

Back
Top Bottom