• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

There are no sidelines in this battle

One point I haven't seen get enough air time across the forums I've been in lately is; please to talk everyone you know who is a gun owner.
Here's the reality, we can't win the media battle, the major outlets are squarely and unabashadly in the gun-ban corner. By the same token, politicians need to be seen as doing something, and the media has told people that's restricting guns. So they're all fighting for their slice of air time and sound bites. However, we don't lose our rights by politicians giving hot air speeches and press conferences. We lose them in legislative sessions.

So,
1) Act. Make a commitment to spend 10-15' every day doing some for your rights. Rants to other like minded gun owners is cathartic, but achieves nothing. Lobby everyone you know that feels pro-gun to join NRA and whatever local or state organizations you feel are effective. Don't leave one person you know without a personal plea from YOU to join us in the fight. Make sure they do the same; spread the fire. Educate them. The majority have a mixed view of the NRA, largely because of how the media slanders them. Don't wait, track everyone you know down through e-mail, FaceBook, call on the phone, whatever it takes. Don't let them buy the snake oil that its only certain guns or certain X that they're going after. That's a divide and conquer and they've been using it for years.

2) Write. The names and addresses of your legislators are easy to find. One person writing them carries the wait of thousands they think aren't engaged enough to write. In many cases they have web sites where you can contact them directly, no snail mail or even e-mail required. Be clear and keep it simple, there's very little they haven't heard except how YOU stand on the matter. There's only one language they understand - reelection. Simply tell them you expect no compromise on 2A rights, you vote, you will do everything in your power including $$ to see they're not reelected if they ignore your rights. Everything after that is fluff they won't read. Save the arguments for your anti friends.

3) Show up. There will be hearings and opportunities for public inputs, probaby rallies. The media will be all over every hysterical, outraged anti-gunner. We collectively need to show up and get face time, politely and as the law abiding, respectable citizens we know we are. We need to be there in numbes the cameras can't ignore.

4) Donate. The above is largely the grass-roots battle we each need to undertake. However, the big battlefield will still require the NRA and its lobbying might. That takes $.

If you're not engaged, the other side is already counting you as one of theirs. There are no sidelines in this battle.

The left has to focus on someone /thing to hate to rally the sheep. This issues villain is the NRA. I support GOA and NHFC ,not the NRA.Everybody does their part but I'm not rejoining an org that I disliked enough to leave in hopes that this time they won't fold.

The left has to focus on someone /thing to hate to rally the sheep. This issues villain is the NRA. I support GOA and NHFC ,not the NRA.Everybody does their part but I'm not rejoining an org that I disliked enough to leave in hopes that this time they won't fold.

100k new members in the past 18 days, 4.2Million now...they have the pull with Congress

100k new members in the past 18 days, 4.2Million now...they have the pull with Congress

Having pull with Congress and actually using it effectively are two entirely different things... The National Rifle Association has historically proven that it is willing to either turn a blind eye, or even become complicit in back-room dealing away the Second Amendment... No thanks.

Really that's it? That doesn't seem like a lot to me.
I only know 10 gun owners in my circle 8 could careless. They don't see it as a constttutional rights issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Really that's it? That doesn't seem like a lot to me.
I only know 10 gun owners in my circle 8 could careless. They don't see it as a constttutional rights issue.

Having pull with Congress and actually using it effectively are two entirely different things... The National Rifle Association has historically proven that it is willing to either turn a blind eye, or even become complicit in back-room dealing away the Second Amendment... No thanks.

At this point I think we might want to ask ourselves whether we should be turning away from the NRA - which does have name recognition and some pull in Congress - or giving them our support - and grabbing them by the nuts at the same time and FORCING them to comply.

I think one effective way to do that - is to use the forces of the market to make them fall in line. At the same time we're holding onto the NRA's nutsack - we should be joining GOA and JPFO - who DO have a proven track record of being unabashedly pro second amendment.

I think one of the biggest problems here is that "conservatives" and "gun owners" just are completely clueless about how manipulation of the political/social process really works. The goddam commies have been doing it for decades and have written entire manuals about it and it's become part of their being for crying out loud. IMHO - because it's the only way to force something that is so innately inhuman and incoherent down people's throats.

It's well past time that the rest of us woke the **** up and took a long hard look at what is REALLY going on - and started fighting the fight they way it needs to be fought.

The fact that so many people continue to bitch about the gun buying spree shows me all I need to see about how many people still continue to not "get it".

The guy buying spree is the single best thing on the pro gun front going on right now. I have been approached by 4 separate people over the last couple of weeks at work asking about gun stuff and looking for explanations about what is going on. The thing you have to understand about this is that my daily social circle is rather small. I don't hang around with hundreds of people on a weekly/monthly basis.

The statistics show that the gun buying spree is waking people the **** up. But yet "conservatives" and already existing "gun owners" continue to bitch about it.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - WAKE THE **** UP PEOPLE.

At this point I think we might want to ask ourselves whether we should be turning away from the NRA - which does have name recognition and some pull in Congress - or giving them our support - and grabbing them by the nuts at the same time and FORCING them to comply.

I think one effective way to do that - is to use the forces of the market to make them fall in line. At the same time we're holding onto the NRA's nutsack - we should be joining GOA and JPFO - who DO have a proven track record of being unabashedly pro second amendment.

I think one of the biggest problems here is that "conservatives" and "gun owners" just are completely clueless about how manipulation of the political/social process really works. The goddam commies have been doing it for decades and have written entire manuals about it and it's become part of their being for crying out loud. IMHO - because it's the only way to force something that is so innately inhuman and incoherent down people's throats.

It's well past time that the rest of us woke the **** up and took a long hard look at what is REALLY going on - and started fighting the fight they way it needs to be fought.

The fact that so many people continue to bitch about the gun buying spree shows me all I need to see about how many people still continue to not "get it".

The guy buying spree is the single best thing on the pro gun front going on right now. I have been approached by 4 separate people over the last couple of weeks at work asking about gun stuff and looking for explanations about what is going on. The thing you have to understand about this is that my daily social circle is rather small. I don't hang around with hundreds of people on a weekly/monthly basis.

The statistics show that the gun buying spree is waking people the **** up. But yet "conservatives" and already existing "gun owners" continue to bitch about it.

This is a time for all gun owners to stand together. Echos of Benjamin Franklin :"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."

I think it's the NRA that really needs to "wake the fu*k up and take a long hard look at what is REALLY going on - and start fighting the fight the way it needs to be fought" So far, that is not the case and there is no indication that it ever will be. The NRA has been little more than a profiteer off the backs of it's membership. I will not support an organization who historically has used the Second Amendment as a tool to increase profits, build ivory towers and dangle in front of it's membership - an unattainable carrot to keep the money rolling in... No thanks. The NRA can FOAD... If folks want their Second Amendment back - they're going to need to wake up and take it. The NRA isn't going to do it - pull or no pull. Unless the National Rifle Association as an entirety 'wakes up', changes tact 180 degrees and becomes a voice for liberty, rather than compromise, back room deals, Ted Nugent and Jim Jumbo, then we will continue to ebb into the swamp....

GOA and JPFO are the hard lined RKBA orgs. Each of us should be members to those. We still need the NRA in this fight too; today they have the numbers.

GOA only costs $20/ a year or $500 for a life membership. Please go join if you haven't already.

Sent from my mobile device.

First, to the OP - good thread for a first. Welcome to NES. Please consider going green.

In the last few weeks, I've donated extra to NRA, and also to SAF, Comm2A, and CCRKBA. I've written my state senators, state reps, US Senators, and US Reps. I've signed petitions on whitehouse.org, and also used popvox.com to contact my legislators urging them not to support any sort of 'ban.'

I'll be in Boston next Saturday.

I've been shouting 2A rhetoric on Facebook to the point that my own brothers have blocked me -- they're tired of hearing about it. My wife and adult sons are sick and tired of it, too.

But I will not stop. This is way too important.

I think it's the NRA that really needs to "wake the fu*k up and take a long hard look at what is REALLY going on - and start fighting the fight the way it needs to be fought" So far, that is not the case and there is no indication that it ever will be. The NRA has been little more than a profiteer off the backs of it's membership. I will not support an organization who historically has used the Second Amendment as a tool to increase profits, build ivory towers and dangle in front of it's membership - an unattainable carrot to keep the money rolling in... No thanks. The NRA can FOAD... If folks want their Second Amendment back - they're going to need to wake up and take it. The NRA isn't going to do it - pull or no pull. Unless the National Rifle Association as an entirety 'wakes up', changes tact 180 degrees and becomes a voice for liberty, rather than compromise, back room deals, Ted Nugent and Jim Jumbo, then we will continue to ebb into the swamp....

I understand what you're saying - but I think maybe what we need to do right now is hang the implied threat of a Zumbo moment over their heads - and MAKE them do what they need to do. Because you're right - they do need to wake the **** up.

While we are doing that - at the same time we need to be throwing a LOT more support behind organizations like GOA and JPFO - who have always fought the good fight.

NRA = gun makers lobby. They don't represent gun owners. Lapierre makes $1,263,101/year. Theyre not getting another nickel. Support goal and comm2a.

First, to the OP - good thread for a first. Welcome to NES. Please consider going green.

In the last few weeks, I've donated extra to NRA, and also to SAF, Comm2A, and CCRKBA. I've written my state senators, state reps, US Senators, and US Reps. I've signed petitions on whitehouse.org, and also used popvox.com to contact my legislators urging them not to support any sort of 'ban.'

I'll be in Boston next Saturday.

I've been shouting 2A rhetoric on Facebook to the point that my own brothers have blocked me -- they're tired of hearing about it. My wife and adult sons are sick and tired of it, too.

But I will not stop. This is way too important.

I can't relate wrt to the Facebook stuff because I don't have one, but definitely with the family. My wife says to me just about every night. "I wish you could find something more intelligent to spend your energy and time on! These gun sites you hang out on are like cults."[rolleyes] I tried to explain that this is by far one of the most critical times in recent history because we are being attacked so heavily by both the politicians as well as the media, and if WE give in even a little we will likely lose everything. She is convinced (based on the media) that Oblabla is trying his best to meet with all sides to come to a fair "compromise".[rolleyes] Yep, there's that famous word that always ends up with us on the short side!

I understand what you're saying - but I think maybe what we need to do right now is hang the implied threat of a Zumbo moment over their heads - and MAKE them do what they need to do. Because you're right - they do need to wake the **** up.

While we are doing that - at the same time we need to be throwing a LOT more support behind organizations like GOA and JPFO - who have always fought the good fight.

I agree with your feelings on the NRA. I have been very anti on them (like many here) in recent years despite continuing support do to my range requirement. I do however realize that they are by far the largest, most recognized gun lobbying group out there, so it may not be the time to throw them under the bus when we face such an uphill battle. As you say, it's more important to try to MAKE them do the right thing and stop the pandering. There are several excellent pro 2A organizations out there, but very few (if any) others are recognized AT ALL by the general public like the NRA. This is something that I feel is a very important distinction, and why turning our backs completely is not the right thing to do, unless they become part of the problem again. If that's the case, I believe they will sink their own ship this time because way too much is at stake.

I agree with your feelings on the NRA. I have been very anti on them (like many here) in recent years despite continuing support do to my range requirement. I do however realize that they are by far the largest, most recognized gun lobbying group out there, so it may not be the time to throw them under the bus when we face such an uphill battle. As you say, it's more important to try to MAKE them do the right thing and stop the pandering. There are several excellent pro 2A organizations out there, but very few (if any) others are recognized AT ALL by the general public like the NRA. This is something that I feel is a very important distinction, and why turning our backs completely is not the right thing to do, unless they become part of the problem again. If that's the case, I believe they will sink their own ship this time because way too much is at stake.

Exactly.

The NRA is the one organization that is universally attacked by the anti gun forces - and known to the public in general.

Look at what is happening with the gun buying spree. I know a number of people who are NOT gun owners - who are now seriously looking into getting their license and buying a gun - usually they ask about a pistol for home defense - and then once they go thru the thought process of accepting the need for a pistol - they very quickly make the jump to thinking they are going to need an AR also.

This is EXACTLY how people think - I know - because it was the same thought process I went thru when I first became a gun owner. I can see it unfolding in front of me right now in real time with people I know.

Now imagine that we extend the gun buying to spree - to NRA membership.

So they have like 4 million members right now. What the hell would the antis think of that membership went up to 8 million - or 12 million? How many gun owners are there in the US? 4 million is just a fraction of the total gun owning population.

I would rather see GOA or JPFO membership up in the double digit millions - but I think that is just too much of a stretch. So we take what we have and run with that.

People have to get it thru their thick heads : EVERY ACTION YOU TAKE IS A VOTE.

When you go buy a gun - that is a vote. When you join the NRA - that is a vote.

Those votes are being paid attention to on the other side. They are seeing what is going on. We need to make sure those votes are very loud and very clear.

Exactly.

The NRA is the one organization that is universally attacked by the anti gun forces - and known to the public in general.

Look at what is happening with the gun buying spree. I know a number of people who are NOT gun owners - who are now seriously looking into getting their license and buying a gun - usually they ask about a pistol for home defense - and then once they go thru the thought process of accepting the need for a pistol - they very quickly make the jump to thinking they are going to need an AR also.

This is EXACTLY how people think - I know - because it was the same thought process I went thru when I first became a gun owner. I can see it unfolding in front of me right now in real time with people I know.

Now imagine that we extend the gun buying to spree - to NRA membership.

So they have like 4 million members right now. What the hell would the antis think of that membership went up to 8 million - or 12 million? How many gun owners are there in the US? 4 million is just a fraction of the total gun owning population.

I would rather see GOA or JPFO membership up in the double digit millions - but I think that is just too much of a stretch. So we take what we have and run with that.

People have to get it thru their thick heads : EVERY ACTION YOU TAKE IS A VOTE.

When you go buy a gun - that is a vote. When you join the NRA - that is a vote.

Those votes are being paid attention to on the other side. They are seeing what is going on. We need to make sure those votes are very loud and very clear.

Once again, excellent points!

The NRA has its flaws. But this battle will be fought in the courts. Some of these laws will pass. Nobody else has the money or the connections to hire constitutional lawyers to argue at the Supreme Court other than the NRA. I sent them one hundred dollars last night.

Maybe the NRA is put front and center by the lefty's because they know they will cut a deal and other orgs won't

I think they're put F&C because it's the only pro lobbyist they know about.

I think the gun control crowd has made one tactical mistake, when they jump all over the "assault rifle" issue. They think it is a slam dunk, because they are scary and "nobody needs one". But when you ask to see that statistics for how much crime is committed with them, aside from the few media-saturation-coverage events in the last year, the actual usage of them in crimes is tiny.

It is important to push back on this issue, because that is where they have chosen to get their foot in the door. They say "we won't come after handguns, just these machines of mass murder", but of course they will.

This is exactly why I am so frustrated. This article nails it for me.
I have heard zero from any of the so called pro gun groups,vendors, stores and what have you. I have not even received a call from NRA loooking for money

I have. Are you on the NRA no call list?

Sent from my mobile device.

The NRA has its flaws. But this battle will be fought in the courts. Some of these laws will pass. Nobody else has the money or the connections to hire constitutional lawyers to argue at the Supreme Court other than the NRA. I sent them one hundred dollars last night.
You might want to put your money behind the group that is actually winning in the courts, SAF.

If not for SAF, if it had been all NRA's case, we would have lost Heller; without Heller, there would be no McDonald (and SAF was the lead on that case too).

NRA-ILA is for lobbying. GOA is for rabble-rousing (which is a good thing), which lets NRA-ILA say, "Now see? Don't we look reasonable?". JPFO is much like GOA, and lends a diversity edge, which is why you should support Pink Pistols too. But if you want Alan Gura in court (and who doesn't?), your money should go to SAF.

Back
Top Bottom