"There Are Basically No Sales": U.S. Auto Industry Enters Total Collapse As A Result Of Nationwide Lockdown

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
At one point I logged the first 100 bikes for sale on CL with mileage listed, and made a spreadsheet of the model year and mileage to calculate yearly use.

New Englanders don’t put huge mileage on their bikes as a rule. The average for most bikes was a little over 2,000 miles per season.
This is another thing for me to point to when I tell people the weather here is pure shit and "not because of the snow" and they don't believe me.

The best days to ride/drive/tour in a typical new england spring/summer/fall, statistically speaking, happen when most people are at work. [laugh]

-Mike

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
there is always the Trabant to fall back on!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npMKIUTa3uI
Trabants are funky, I've seen them up close.
There are a few Trabbi owners in Mass that bring them out to the Micro Car show.
They bring them on trailers because they don't trust them to stay running for a 50 mile trip, also because they top out at about 45, so taking them on the highway isn't very safe.
I'd like to have one just to buzz around town with as a gag.
What's sad is people used to have to get on a list and wait 10 years for the chance to buy one.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
On the bright side, Renault isn't doing so good these days:
The French govt owns a big piece of Renault, it's their pride, I dont think they will let it fail.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold cars/motorcycles/ATVs for 8 years, and wholesaled for one. Weird times.
1. With Hertz filing for bankruptcy and dealers selling at -50% clip for 3 months there is lots of used inventory. Used car dealers are selling cars to get income slashing inventory 20% to 50%. The car auctions are loaded with used cars.
2. Going forward the elderly will be pretty much shut ins due to rolling COVID advisories, and younger kids likely will be going to college nearby or Zooming their classes, making transportation less of a want / need. Cars will last longer as many more will WFH as a standard, so used cars will be cheaper but not selling as fast, except economic ones to people who are essential workers.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
This is another thing for me to point to when I tell people the weather here is pure shit and "not because of the snow" and they don't believe me.

The best days to ride/drive/tour in a typical new england spring/summer/fall, statistically speaking, happen when most people are at work. [laugh]

-Mike
This....I just got on my bike this week for the first time....April rained every day, and if your in North Central, its fxcking 30 degrees every morning even when its sunny, and I'm not riding to freeze my balls off. I ride for pleasure, not survival. Call me a pussy or whatever, but that's why I bought a used 1200 Sporster loaded with all sorts of Harley aftermarket stuff, windshield, fancy front lights, Harley bags, engine bars, some idiot that never drove it put on. He spent more time accessorizing it than riding it. Then he sold it....... I bought it with 1k miles on the odometer, nearly 5 years old, with less than 5K dollars cash. That sucker who bought it, had 11K into that bike from the
showroom floor.

I was actually worried because it hadn't been driven enough....that the gaskets may have been dried out, etc.....

It will last me forever in New England because the weather sucks ass and I'm a fair weather rider.

Last edited:

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
That's why guys who export or look for used motorcycles look in the northeast, expensive bikes, with options and low millage
This.

The same reason people look for vehicles, especially trucks in the south, they aren't rusted out shitboxes after 5 years.

Prices are higher in the south for vehicles, though, for bikes....the Northeast has smoking deals sometimes....when people have a bike payment sitting in their garage
3/4 of the year, that they drive for 1/4 of the year, maybe, the impetus to dump the thing at all costs in October and not let it sit another winter and suck payments out of your bank account is amazing. Especially these Harley guys....they take a bath.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold cars/motorcycles/ATVs for 8 years, and wholesaled for one. Weird times.
1. With Hertz filing for bankruptcy and dealers selling at -50% clip for 3 months there is lots of used inventory. Used car dealers are selling cars to get income slashing inventory 20% to 50%. The car auctions are loaded with used cars.
2. Going forward the elderly will be pretty much shut ins due to rolling COVID advisories, and younger kids likely will be going to college nearby or Zooming their classes, making transportation less of a want / need. Cars will last longer as many more will WFH as a standard, so used cars will be cheaper but not selling as fast, except economic ones to people who are essential workers.
Don't forget all the looming repos that will be hitting the used car market.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

-Mike
I don't think that's necessarily true. When I had s convertible I had the top down a lot, basically any time it wasn't raining.

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This.

The same reason people look for vehicles, especially trucks in the south, they aren't rusted out shitboxes after 5 years.

Prices are higher in the south for vehicles, though, for bikes....the Northeast has smoking deals sometimes....when people have a bike payment sitting in their garage
3/4 of the year, that they drive for 1/4 of the year, maybe, the impetus to dump the thing at all costs in October and not let it sit another winter and suck payments out of your bank account is amazing. Especially these Harley guys....they take a bath.
Absolutely. I picked up my R6 for dirt cheap. It looks mint and whoever owned it put on 1500 miles a year, which is nothing.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Any word on how Memorial Day weekend sales went? Are dealerships open now for walkin with the social distancing?

One sales guy said they were swamped but probably a sales tactic.

Forbes seems to be indicating May should be a significant improvement over April.

J.D. Power expects this month to be far better than April. It says the retail sales range outlook for the full month of May is between 900,000 to 1.1 million units, representing a decline of 15% to 31% from its pre-virus forecast. The research firm projects 2020 retail auto sales at 11.4 to 12.5 million versus its pre-virus forecast of 13.4 million. It forecasts total 2020 U.S. auto sales (retail and fleet) in a range between 13.0 to 14.5 million in comparison to a pre-virus forecast of 16.8 million.
COVID-19 Cost Car Dealers $2.6 Billion In Profits But Worst Is Over

Cars dot com claiming a lot of online shoppers looking for their own vehicles to stay off public transportation or ridesharing with "Linus".

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
That's not Linus, that's Pig Pen [laugh]
Linus was the kid with the blanket.
I stand corrected.
Linus and Lucy were siblings and also one of my favorite albums from the Vince Guarldi Trio.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=aZLuaiP9xeY&feature=emb_logo

193rdsoldier

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any word on how Memorial Day weekend sales went? Are dealerships open now for walkin with the social distancing?

One sales guy said they were swamped but probably a sales tactic.

Forbes seems to be indicating May should be a significant improvement over April.

COVID-19 Cost Car Dealers $2.6 Billion In Profits But Worst Is Over

Cars dot com claiming a lot of online shoppers looking for their own vehicles to stay off public transportation or ridesharing with "Linus".

the sales department at my dealership in Southern NH had an amazing sales weekend. We are on pace to have a better sales month than last year. My service department is packed. I have 51 loaner vehicles and they are almost all gone most of the time.

Top Bottom