"There Are Basically No Sales": U.S. Auto Industry Enters Total Collapse As A Result Of Nationwide Lockdown

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
2020 is shaping up to be nothing short of a complete and total meltdown for the U.S. auto industry.

The industry was already barely holding on by a thread before the coronavirus pandemic started, with China leading the rest of the globe's auto industries into recession over the last 18 months. Now, in a post-coronavirus world, automakers in the U.S. are expecting nothing less than full collapse.

And the things that were barely holding the industry up to start 2020, namely low rates and modest consumer confidence, don't matter. Businesses are closed, would-be buyers are strapped for cash and the country's economy has simply been turned off. The industry's annualized selling rate could slow to 11.9 million in March, according to Edmunds.

Jessica Caldwell, executive director of insights for market researcher Edmunds, told Bloomberg: “The whole world is turned upside down right now.”

I bought a new car 2 months ago. I got a great deal compared to all other for the same model on Presidents Day. (according to a US website forum of that sort of car owner)

If I had waited, I would have had more payments on my lease.

What are the deals now?

The dealers must be going through hell.

Yota79

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sucks if you were waiting for a 2021. All the factories are shut down. Had thoughts of buying a Jeep Gladiator before this hit, but now I'm questioning it. All I see is 0% loans available so I'll give it another month or two.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is now a good time to get a cheap deal? We are “essential” and are still driving to work everyday. We dont NEED a car now but I think if you NEED, you are already lost the ability to say no and walk out of the dealership

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I was talking to a guy I do business with today who is seriously looking at dumping his 2018 GMC 3500 and going with a 2020 Chevy at 0%. He doesn’t need the big rig anymore to pull the 5th wheel.
I wonder what the dealer is going to do on the price. Will they maintain MSRP only on the 0% or will they move??

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tucks Trucks is open by appointment only and some of the salesmen have decided to stay home until this is over. Acadia's have 0%/84mo with 4 months no payments. I reached out to a salesman my wife and I have been talking to - NO ONE BUY THE 2019 ACADIA DENALI (blue/grey) ON THE LOT !!! IT'S MINE !!!!! Well, actually my wife's; my son got my truck after $2750 of repairs to frame, crossmembers, new shocks and brakes. I get the 2012 Ford Fusion SE 4cyl with 205K Miles.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was strongly considering buying something for my wife during this, but my CEO was kind enough to give us all a 20% pay cut yesterday, so imma ride this one out.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think we have seen 2, maybe 3 vehicle purchases come through our office in the last couple of weeks. It’s pretty dead out there

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I hope you changed out the lug nuts, otherwise you're in for a big surprise if you get a flat.
Nope - probably should the way you say that, should I ask why - NVM

They swell (like the 2011 GMC Sierra) I have a box of new ones I keep to swap as the rust (Pete’s Tire Barn & Speedee in Gardner like the spares)

Last edited:

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

They swell (like the 2011 GMC Sierra) I have a box of new ones I keep to swap as the rust (Pete’s Tire Barn & Speedee in Gardner like the spares)
Check the stock lug wrench that came with the Fusion, if it won't fit over the lugs, they've swelled up and you'll need a 20mm deep socket to get them off:

BTW, 20mm is an oddball size, they don't come included with socket sets (which skip from 19 to 21), and they don't have them individually at Harbor Freight, Lowes or HD. You may find one from a Mac Tool or Snap-On truck, but it's still not common.
I got mine from ebay, and there aren't many sellers that even have them.

Friday

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The day I ordered my new truck was the same day GM closed all the plants. I suspect I'll be stuck with a 2021 model before it's over. I could care less about 0% financing, the rebates are a bigger savings. Hopefully they will return once things ease up. I suspect the 2021 models won't be much different than the 2020s.

In the meantime, I keep driving my 06 silverado with 182K, hoping the time bomb stays at bay....

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Just change them out permanently with some aftemarket splined lugs from gorilla or something, cheaper in the long run.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tucks Trucks is open by appointment only and some of the salesmen have decided to stay home until this is over. Acadia's have 0%/84mo with 4 months no payments. I reached out to a salesman my wife and I have been talking to - NO ONE BUY THE 2019 ACADIA DENALI (blue/grey) ON THE LOT !!! IT'S MINE !!!!! Well, actually my wife's; my son got my truck after $2750 of repairs to frame, crossmembers, new shocks and brakes. I get the 2012 Ford Fusion SE 4cyl with 205K Miles.
Did you lick all the door handles yet to mark your territory?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOs3_bh8UM0

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The day I ordered my new truck was the same day GM closed all the plants. I suspect I'll be stuck with a 2021 model before it's over. I could care less about 0% financing, the rebates are a bigger savings. Hopefully they will return once things ease up. I suspect the 2021 models won't be much different than the 2020s.

In the meantime, I keep driving my 06 silverado with 182K, hoping the time bomb stays at bay....
2021 is gonna have some minor updates, publications and service info is just rolling out on them if you know anyone in the industry. The express vans and isuzu trucks are all getting drivetrain changes as well.

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I really don't want a payment, but getting a truck I'll drive forever with 0% for 6 or 7 years, I'm talking to the wife about it.
I wont buy another $60K+ truck in New England. All the ones I want are more than that which I can deal with (dont want to) but will if I move to an area where the thing wont get destroyed by salt half the year.

dcmdon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   1
This is the time to rob those dealerships silly. The leverage you have when you walk through those doors is astronomical.
Absolutely. I've been driving my car for 8 years and 120k. Its fine, but we'll know how secure my wife's job is going to be within the next couple of weeks. If its good, we may pull the trigger on something.

dcmdon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   1
I wont buy another $60K+ truck in New England. All the ones I want are more than that which I can deal with (dont want to) but will if I move to an area where the thing wont get destroyed by salt half the year.
60k!!!

I am a cheap bastard. I would never spend that kind of money on a vehicle that depreciates.

Top Bottom